Gun Zone Deals

Is there a Mini-14 that isn’t the Mini-14?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    SKS would work.

The problem with the SKS is it's cost, its a surplus rifle, even meh examples are around $400

Capacity is limited, and even good stripper clips are a PITA. Aftermarket detachable mags are a thing, but they all suck. Speaking of aftermarket, the SKS's aftermarket is pretty much tapco grade crap, and there are no good options for mounting an optic

As for caliber, 7.62x39 is heavy and underpowered. It's similar to .300blk, but blk has the benefit of being used in more suppressor friendly guns. In any case, even up close (within 200 yards) 5.56 out performs it, all while being near the same price (steel case vs steel case) and having far more loading options.

The SKS is also more complex and harder to take down. Have you see the nightmare of a FCG on the SKS?

Even compared to an A1, the SKS is so outclassed its crazy.
    Texas SOT

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Unless someone really needs 1 MOA or better accuracy, the Mini-14 and Mini-30 are perfectly good rifles.

The mini, in stock form is ususally around 4 moa, on a good day, accurizing brings it to about 3.

Most basic AR15's with irons, and non free floated barrels START at 2 moa, all while being cheaper, more reliable, more durable, more serviceable, and can be made into a 1 moa gun for only 100-200 dollars, sans optic.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The mini, in stock form is ususally around 4 moa, on a good day, accurizing brings it to about 3.

Most basic AR15's with irons, and non free floated barrels START at 2 moa, all while being cheaper, more reliable, more durable, more serviceable, and can be made into a 1 moa gun for only 100-200 dollars, sans optic.
    My personal experience is 2 MOA, not 4. More durable? Not convinced on that one either.

Right now the Ruger AR556 at under $500 looks awfully attractive.

Nothing against AR15's (evil black weapons of mass destruction that they are...).

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

Most I have seen are MODP (Minute of Dinner Plate)

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I also have nothing against ARs. I own and shoot two (one pistol & one carbine). They are fine weapons and one can be put together easily. But I personally prefer a handgun or a shotgun for protection inside the house. I don't know anyone that has a house with a clear 100 yd. area inside. One moa capability is really not necessary. I personally can maneuver a handgun much better inside a house at short distances.
    Hopefully, most of us won't have an actual experience.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    My first love was the M14, but not having the wherewithal to buy one at 18, I settled for a 180 series Mini-14. A few years later I got an M1a, but didn't get an AR until the Colt AR15-A2 Sporter II carbine.

My theory is that most older people don't really "get" an AR, until they own an AR... I have a neighbor in his 80's, a long range shooter and bolt action only guy, that didn't get the AR even after he owned one, so he sold it... Having been still a child when he was already a man and not predating the AR like him, I was still a slow adopter, but loving all things tech and practical, as soon as I owned an AR, I "got" it!

Try it, if you really don't like it, sell it or give it to your son, but I really think every American should have an AR for the sake of the 2nd Amendment!

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I also have nothing against ARs. I own and shoot two (one pistol & one carbine). They are fine weapons and one can be put together easily. But I personally prefer a handgun or a shotgun for protection inside the house. I don't know anyone that has a house with a clear 100 yd. area inside. One moa capability is really not necessary. I personally can maneuver a handgun much better inside a house at short distances.
    Hopefully, most of us won't have an actual experience.
    Everybody's situation is different... I don't have much house, but I do have 100 yds clear outside. In the house, I'm like a sitting duck, walls wouldn't stop much, so if I or the dog was to hear or see something threatening outside, my first thought would be to get outside where I have options and leave the dog inside to draw attention.. I keep several options available at hand from a pistol to a shotgun and an AR pistol, but I would grab the AR, if I could get outside before the threat could get to me.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    My first love was the M14, but not having the wherewithal to buy one at 18, I settled for a 180 series Mini-14. A few years later I got an M1a, but didn't get an AR until the Colt AR15-A2 Sporter II carbine.

My theory is that most older people don't really "get" an AR, until they own an AR... I have a neighbor in his 80's, a long range shooter and bolt action only guy, that didn't get the AR even after he owned one, so he sold it... Having been still a child when he was already a man and not predating the AR like him, I was still a slow adopter, but loving all things tech and practical, as soon as I owned an AR, I "got" it!

Try it, if you really don't like it, sell it or give it to your son, but I really think every American should have an AR for the sake of the 2nd Amendment!
    I’m 57 and had an AR and I put an additional $600 plus optics on it and sold it. You just can’t fix what doesn’t work for you. Although I am currently having a pig problem and need something other than a bolt gun to rid of them. With that I would never base the 2nd around a particular weapon. Never

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I’m 57 and had an AR and I put an additional $600 plus optics on it and sold it. You just can’t fix what doesn’t work for you. Although I am currently having a pig problem and need something other than a bolt gun to rid of them. With that I would never base the 2nd around a particular weapon. Never
    64 here...

AR is the one they are coming for first, not the only one, just the first one in a class. Having an AR gives you a dog in that fight.

Bump stocks were a fight too few people had a dog in, they are illegal now, if not gone. AR's are next.

It's not about basing the 2nd Amendment on a single weapon, it's about using the one they are coming for to block their way to the others. Common use.

As for practicality and common use, even police departments gave up on Mini-14's.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The problem with the SKS is it's cost, its a surplus rifle, even meh examples are around $400

Capacity is limited, and even good stripper clips are a PITA. Aftermarket detachable mags are a thing, but they all suck. Speaking of aftermarket, the SKS's aftermarket is pretty much tapco grade crap, and there are no good options for mounting an optic

As for caliber, 7.62x39 is heavy and underpowered. It's similar to .300blk, but blk has the benefit of being used in more suppressor friendly guns. In any case, even up close (within 200 yards) 5.56 out performs it, all while being near the same price (steel case vs steel case) and having far more loading options.

The SKS is also more complex and harder to take down. Have you see the nightmare of a FCG on the SKS?

Even compared to an A1, the SKS is so outclassed its crazy.
    Somebody didn't read the OP.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Somebody didn't read the OP.

I read the op. The sks is for people who got one when they were under $200 and still think its the late 80's.

They are a neat surplus rifle at best. When compared to an AR, or even an AK, there is no comparison

Reactions: gll

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    My personal experience is 2 MOA, not 4. More durable? Not convinced on that one either.

Right now the Ruger AR556 at under $500 looks awfully attractive.

Nothing against AR15's (evil black weapons of mass destruction that they are...).

Yes, the ar is more durable, but its hard for most people to understand that because the Mini hasn't been in military service for over 50 years, and the owners of mini's aren't shooting case after case of ammo through it, using them in competitions, or using them in training courses. The Mini also doesn't have an aftermarket that offers a change for ever single aspect of the gun, for better or worse

Despite not being the most popular of 5.56 rifles, I've seen multiple firing pins on them break, 2 bolt failures (one broken extractor, and one had a lug sheer off), and one that just locked up completely, but I couldn't inspect that particular rifle.

The biggest issue with the Mini isn't that its a terrible gun (it is passable), it's that it is competeing with a rifle that is superior in every way imaginable

Reactions: gll

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yes, the ar is more durable, but its hard for most people to understand that because the Mini hasn't been in military service for over 50 years, and the owners of mini's aren't shooting case after case of ammo through it, using them in competitions, or using them in training courses. The Mini also doesn't have an aftermarket that offers a change for ever single aspect of the gun, for better or worse

Despite not being the most popular of 5.56 rifles, I've seen multiple firing pins on them break, 2 bolt failures (one broken extractor, and one had a lug sheer off), and one that just locked up completely, but I couldn't inspect that particular rifle.

The biggest issue with the Mini isn't that its a terrible gun (it is passable), it's that it is competeing with a rifle that is superior in every way imaginable
    And I have seen AR parts break as well.

Of course the Mini is not as easily customizable, never said it was.

And how many owners will fire case after case through any rifle?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom