Capitol Armory ad

Is there a Mini-14 that isn’t the Mini-14?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zaitcev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2019
    Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
    Or, look at the KelTec SU 16.
    SU was a magnificent gun for its time, but it's been years and modern ARs have caught up. Frankly, I would rather have FightLite SCR. My SU-16CA only does 2 MOA. One good thing about the SU though, aside from taking AR magazines, is that you never feel bad for bubbaing it.

su16.jpg

Attachments

• su16.jpg
      su16.jpg
      91.8 KB · Views: 551

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    SKS doesn't have pistol grip.
    It accepts ammo less than 45mm in length.
    It can utilize high capacity magazines.
    Under $1000

Kinda like OP asked for. Sorta. Maybe.
    Exactly.

But, I could be mistaken.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I would like to get a high-cap semi-auto chambered in an intermediate rifle cartridge (like 45mm case or shorter.) preferably carbine-length.

I know the AR platform is a no-brainer, but I simply can’t bring myself to use a full pistol grip stock, it just feels totally unnatural to me. Plus ARs look high-maintenance to me.

I vastly prefer the M1A platform, but:
    The standard M1A is a bit big.
    The M1A, especially in shorter lengths, is pretty pricey and .308 is a bit more gun than I’d want.

My shooting buddy fought with his Mini-14 for years trying to get even mediocre accuracy from it. He finally disposed of it.

From what I’ve read, that’s pretty much the norm for the Mini-14.

So, is there an alternative to either of those?

I guess I could live with a .308, if there were an M1A-style for under $1K.
    Just in case.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    SU was a magnificent gun for its time, but it's been years and modern ARs have caught up. Frankly, I would rather have FightLite SCR. My SU-16CA only does 2 MOA. One good thing about the SU though, aside from taking AR magazines, is that you never feel bad for bubbaing it.

View attachment 188090

Steer clear of anything FightLite. Unless you think shoddy quality and being ignored is great customer service. I have a $4500 piece of garbage from them that won't run and can't get any help. Any problem you can name, it has it: won't feed, won't extract, won't eject, won't ignite, self quick detaches the barrel which then launches itself down the range.

Plus what they did with the Shrike pre-orders. They took money from hundreds of people and just kept sandbagging on delivery while selling units to new customers. Very shady business.

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Just in case.

You are missing the point we are trying to make, you can't get AR performance out of a gun like a mini, an SKS, or even an AK.

If you just want something to blast apart cow pies or blow apart dirt clods, any old gun will work, but performance wise? The only other guns that even come close to staking up without having to drop 2X the guns value on aftermarket fixes are the ones that cost 2k or more right out of the gate, and still fall short in some areas.

For a gun owner, not wanting an AR15 is like not wanting a jacket, or pants.

Reactions: gll

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    OP didn’t ask for “AR performance”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wants a intermediate caliber carbine.

The AR15 is the best, and one of the cheapest options. And when you have people suggesting kel tec and bubba'd milsurps... Yeah.

It's a no brainer, amd its not like there is any practical thing holding him back

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    He wants a intermediate caliber carbine.

The AR15 is the best, and one of the cheapest options. And when you have people suggesting kel tec and bubba'd milsurps... Yeah.

It's a no brainer, amd its not like there is any practical thing holding him back

He said he didn’t like having a pistol grip. Some people don’t.

The SKS fits. You may not care for them, but you aren’t the OP.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    He said he didn’t like having a pistol grip. Some people don’t.

The SKS fits. You may not care for them, but you aren’t the OP.

As another poster brought up, you can get AR lowers that dont have pistol grips, if that really matters, but the best solution is to get over it. If you have a bad wrist, get a more vertical grip, like a BCM or magpul k2

The SKS is fine for a 1940's conscript army. When compared to modern firearms, even firearms developed just 10 years later, it comes up extremely lacking, and any aftermarket parts put on it simply makes it worse.

It is also more expensive, and parts are harder to source, and the wide variety of patterns can make parts compatibility a huge pain

I quite like my SKS, but it can't hang with superior, cheaper, more avalible options

20191012_071642.jpg

Attachments

• 20191012_071642.jpg
      20191012_071642.jpg
      805.8 KB · Views: 393
    Reactions: gll

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    You are missing the point we are trying to make, you can't get AR performance out of a gun like a mini, an SKS, or even an AK.

If you just want something to blast apart cow pies or blow apart dirt clods, any old gun will work, but performance wise? The only other guns that even come close to staking up without having to drop 2X the guns value on aftermarket fixes are the ones that cost 2k or more right out of the gate, and still fall short in some areas.

For a gun owner, not wanting an AR15 is like not wanting a jacket, or pants.
    You missed the point. And who is "we"?

Top Bottom