• ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Ouch.

I am a Jeep fan. With that I can also say that every model has its own set of issues.

I think he was confusing it with the ZJ (Grand Cherokee) which had its fair share of problems. The TJ/LJ does have a few issues (such as gas spillage during refueling) but are pretty reliable otherwise...
    Capitol Armory ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I had a brain fart on the LJ. Derp moment of the day...

My buddy at Daimler Chrysler said the reason they switched from the straight six was because the tooling was getting wore out and they sold it to some third world country before it was completely worthless. They started using the same motor that they were using in the minivans since they were already tooled up for it, it's a crap motor but my jeep has the lifetime warranty so it's staying here till its completely dead. I hear the new engine is a badass but I haven't driven one yet.

They sold it to China, along with all the tooling to make the Cherokees.

Pretty sure the real reason for ditching the engine was emissions compliance, though. The basic design of that engine didn't really lend itself to meeting the tougher and tougher emissions requirements that come down every year. You've got a pushrod I6 with both manifolds on the same side of the head, and there isn't an economical way to re-rig it for variable cam timing.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Pretty sure the real reason for ditching the engine was emissions compliance, though. The basic design of that engine didn't really lend itself to meeting the tougher and tougher emissions requirements that come down every year. You've got a pushrod I6 with both manifolds on the same side of the head, and there isn't an economical way to re-rig it for variable cam timing.

That is correct, they could'nt meet emissions standards nor fuel economy standards.

txbass06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2012
    Texarkana
    I went and test drove a 4-door wrangler with the new pentastar V6 and I was very impressed. This one was lifted with 35's and still had plenty of power.
    Now, if it has the longevity of the old 4.0 I6, they've got a winner

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Fuel economy standards

Yes, do NOT buy a Jeep if you're looking for great fuel economy. 15-18 is average for most people. That would be fine if it was a truck or a suburban, but for a small vehicle that doesn't hold much cargo...well...

If we'd only get a small diesel for it. It's the perfect match for what you use a Jeep for and it would bump up the mileage. They already produce them here in Ohio, but only ship them overseas.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    theyve got those asian diesels or you could try a 4bt i think ive seen a few swapped into a jeep. you might have to use dodge springs in the front.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    How much weight would a diesel add to the front?

Not much, the diesel weighs about 500 lbs. For reference the 4.0 weighs about 500 too. They already produce one they ship to Europe and the rest of the world. Factory option outside of the US.

Gets 8L/100km (~28-30 mpg), 240 hp, 400ft/lbs torque

Some info:
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport CRD Diesel Road Test Review | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications
    2011+ VM Motori V6 Diesel Engines
    Would you buy a JK Diesel? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    We don't get diesels here because once again, emissions regs. The US is probably the toughest country to get a car certified for sale.Though, having to get put that expensive diesel exhaust fluid in would be a downside to the factory diesel...

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I think most people sink money into Jeeps because they rag them out. The abuse jeeps go through...

I had pretty good luck with my YJ. And that thing was ragged out, jumped, set out in the field. All sorts of abuse, and pretty much, we've just done the exhaust, and clutch and steering gear box. And suspension parts, shocks etc...

I'D LOVE to get a diesel jeep. But you can thank the government for stopping that....

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    We don't get diesels here because once again, emissions regs. The US is probably the toughest country to get a car certified for sale.Though, having to get put that expensive diesel exhaust fluid in would be a downside to the factory diesel...

Do you know the legality of a conversion in Texas? Cost aside, is it legal to drop in a small diesel to replace a gas engine?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I wonder if you could ditch the urea or whatever emissions system since it's a conversion and not factory. Supposedly they actually reduce your gas mileage.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    There were a few kjs sold in the us with a small diesel in it. I have been driving 4.0 jeeps since 96. I have had a few different project xjs, and an 04 tj. I daily drive a 94 xj country with 141,000 miles, and am confident to drive it anywhere. I did have the waterpump go out driving from San Antonio to Victoria, but it continued to cool, and didn't leak at all, so I made it home. I had to break out a stethoscope to figure out where the grinding was coming from. I believe the bearings in the pully went out because I had the fan belt on too tight. If I could have any jeep I wanted I would choose the LJ. I actually prefer xjs over tjs for wheeling, because they crawl better, due to the longer wheelbase. I have never wheeled an LJ, but I figure it would be similar to wheeling a xj with a similar wheelbase. Tjs and Ljs seem to hold value extremely well. I have looked and people are asking like $7500 for a 97 tj.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Do you know the legality of a conversion in Texas? Cost aside, is it legal to drop in a small diesel to replace a gas engine?

As long as you don't have to register in an emissions area, it's pretty much a moot point, no?

There were a few kjs sold in the us with a small diesel in it. I have been driving 4.0 jeeps since 96. I have had a few different project xjs, and an 04 tj. I daily drive a 94 xj country with 141,000 miles, and am confident to drive it anywhere. I did have the waterpump go out driving from San Antonio to Victoria, but it continued to cool, and didn't leak at all, so I made it home. I had to break out a stethoscope to figure out where the grinding was coming from. I believe the bearings in the pully went out because I had the fan belt on too tight. If I could have any jeep I wanted I would choose the LJ. I actually prefer xjs over tjs for wheeling, because they crawl better, due to the longer wheelbase. I have never wheeled an LJ, but I figure it would be similar to wheeling a xj with a similar wheelbase. Tjs and Ljs seem to hold value extremely well. I have looked and people are asking like $7500 for a 97 tj.

Yeah, they came with a Mercedes Benz BlueTec. I'll pass.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    There is some little custom shop that makes classic 4x4's like Bronco's CJ's etc, They're awesome, basically old body style with modern amenities, but tasatefully done, I can't remember the name of them right now. But they do an awesome job, if I had 6 figures to blow on a car, that would be it...

Also, if I"m not mistake, Jeep does have a couple diesel models in the works.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    There is some little custom shop that makes classic 4x4's like Bronco's CJ's etc, They're awesome, basically old body style with modern amenities, but tasatefully done, I can't remember the name of them right now. But they do an awesome job, if I had 6 figures to blow on a car, that would be it...

Also, if I"m not mistake, Jeep does have a couple diesel models in the works.

yeah i believe one of those is supposed to look like the old kaiser.

Top Bottom