• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I do too, usually. But on a TJ you don't see them and it's all around a good way to go. A lot of guys with expensive lifts still do them because of the benefits on that platform. I wouldn't go over an inch though.

I can spot a body lift a mile away, and while I'm not a a fan of them, I will agree that 1" is the max anyone should go...

Cheers! M2

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I wouldn't do more than 1 inch on a tj. I did a 1 inch and it didn't look terrible, but the transfer case linkage got jacked up. I had to buy a flimsy bracket to be able to get into 4 low.

When I bought my tj, the dealership threw in a new set of tires, and they let me pick em out across the street. I got some 31 inch all terrrains, and ran them stock til I was able get some lift. I did wheel it on mild trails with the sway bar connected.

I had a 93 xj years ago, I put 3" rustys springs and shock on it along with 31 inch super swamper ltbs. It looked like if fit 31s and had plenty of room. I took it out to the "rio puerco" near Albuquerque N.M. I had chunked the front swaybar when I installed the lift. Out there you gotta drop into this little canyon, and it is impossible to turn around til you get to the bottom. By the time I got to the bottom, my front fenders were mangled lol. My tires were not getting damaged so i said eff it, and kept on going. I got home, and cut probably 3 and a half inches of front fender out. I went to the local desert rat, and got a 2" budget boost, and put in on top of the springs for a combined lift of roughly 4.5-5" and hacked fenders. It ran 31s just fine after that lol. I out that jeep through serious hell, and never broke a damn thing except a shock mount.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I can spot a body lift a mile away, and while I'm not a a fan of them, I will agree that 1" is the max anyone should go...

Cheers! M2

There's not much to see on a 1". Most TJs that get offroaded a lot will have a 1" because of all the benefits. It's pretty common. My bumper and some gas tank skids actually recommend it. There's no seem in the back w/ my aftermarket bumper. The only other place you can tell is at the very front grill. Throw a winch in front and no one will ever notice unless they go out of their way to look underneath.

I wouldn't do more than 1 inch on a tj. I did a 1 inch and it didn't look terrible, but the transfer case linkage got jacked up. I had to buy a flimsy bracket to be able to get into 4 low. ....

If you do it in conjunction with a 1" motor mount lift then you don't have to space the fan shroud down or adjust the linkage...everything moves together.

Ditto on staying <= 1" on the BL

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    He came down $1500 on the cj8, and is accepting trades. It looks like the interior is in great shape. I would make this jeep a daily driver on 33 all terrains. I would slap a 350, and auto trans in it, and make it comfortable (for a jeep). I'll probably never have a cj8, but one day i will probably be able to get a lj.
    **81** JEEP SCRAMBLER

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    2.5" Skyjacker lift, on 35's... For now it's just a Mall Crawler, just joined the Austin Jeep Exclusive jeep club, so will be heading out to the trails with them soon to break it in right.. Still need to add good skids, and front and rear bumpers, probably change out the steps for rock rails. other than that...

20120530_172802.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've had a TJ 2006 with 4 cylinder and 5 speed standard, my ex lady had a 2006 TJ with 4.0 and automatic and I have a 93 YJ with 4.0 and 5 speed now.

My 06 TJ had 7" of shock travel and rode pretty well. TJ has coil springs for a softer ride and shock travel. It got about 19mpg with the 4 but it had 4:11 differential gears so mileage wasn't great. It was SLOW! I've read that the TJ with 4 cyl will do the 1/4 mile in 30 seconds and I believe that. People would honk at me in traffic! Problems? The blower switch on the A/C kept crapping. I got where I could replace one in 15 minutes. I overfilled the gas tank and raw fuel got into the emissions system and caused the hoses to split and leak. I found that and fixed it.

The TJ will dance over sand. I hate mud as I won't do the cleanup. The TJ made countless trips between High Island and Sabine pass. The park Rangers at Sabine Park warned us NOT to venture out on the washed out Highway 87 between Sabine and High Island. I hated to tell him that we made it to Sabine then turned around and went back almost every weekend! That is some rough terrain and it changed every week from being washed out.

Bonnie's TJ was great with 4.0 and automatic. It had a great ride, got 17mpg and rode the sand just like mine. The only time she got stuck, she was coming over a big dune. She got off the gas and hung it in the center. The wheels were in mid air turning freely! Her blower switch crapped, too. Her power steering pump crapped at about 70K.

My 93 YJ is a tank. It rides rough but has a lot of power. The YJ has leaf springs and rides like a lumber truck. I don't go to the beach any more so I just use it to pull small trailers. It stays parked for a couple of weeks between trips and always starts right up.

There's nothing like a Jeep Wrangler. Everything else is a "wanna be."

While I'm at it, There's nothing like a Harley-Davidson. Everything else is just a "wanna be."

Flash

Top Bottom