• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Jeeps died when the 4.0 went away. The Craplsler V6 is a time bomb. I love Wranglers and have had a number of Jeeps that have been very reliable. They all have some issues, just like any other car.

We've even had three XJ Cherokees with the 4.0. Loved em.

rockers96.gif

AndrewGS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Spring
    YJ = Good
    TJ = Not Good
    JK = 2012+ Models Good

I had an early XJ with GM's 2.8L V6 and a 5-Speed. Great truck except for the drivetrain. Should've kept it and shoved a 350 in it.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I did a little touch up with some Bedliner. Getting ready to do a 3" lift, and I have some 31's in the garage waiting to go on.. Nothing too extreme, just a little more offload fun..
    My 99' XJ

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS85NDE.jpg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My gf has an 06 LJ and we both love it. It is definitely a go anywhere vehicle. She's got about 90K miles on it and no problems other than the gas fill up thing. Pump the gas slow and it doesn't spill over... Problem solved

Though, having to get put that expensive diesel exhaust fluid in would be a downside to the factory diesel...
    Nothing really preventing you from removing all that stuff. ...or just filling it with water

I would love to have a small diesel pick-up. I wish there were more small diesel engines around.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Actually, there is a solution to the gas spillage while refueling, it involves replacing the filler neck with one that has a flapper valve inline. Costs about $30 in parts and less than an hour to install. Instructions can be found here, I haven't done this to my LJ but hope to do so in the near future. From the coments in that thread, it works!

Cheers! M2

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    We have an XK (Commander) and love it. It is an '06 with ~115K miles. I have been looking for a CJ or Wrangler to play with....but don't want to spend too much to get it. People are proud of their Jeeps, even when they are falling apart, it seems with the prices they ask....

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I did a little touch up with some Bedliner. Getting ready to do a 3" lift, and I have some 31's in the garage waiting to go on.. Nothing too extreme, just a little more offload fun..
    My 99' XJ

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS85NDE.jpg

Looks good. If it was mine, I would get out the angle grinder, and chop off about 1.5 inches of the fenders, right past the lip where the flares were. Unless You plan on having fender flares again. Just make sure you avoid the spot welds on the rear. I am not sure if it would diminish the structural integrity, since xjs don't have a frame. You could cut slits inbetween the spot welds and fold it over with a hammer. The front doesn't matter.

Edit. I don't believe the xj will clear 31s without atleast cutting the fenders with a 3" lift kit. It probably will be fine around town, but if you disco the swaybar, and mildly offroad it, the fenders will get smashed. My advise is consider using a coil spacer up front, and shackles in the back when you install the lift kit, or you be wishing you did. Ebay has a set for something like $85 shipped from Utah. They are nothing fancy, but the shackles seem to be solid. I actually have a set i haven't got around to using yet. Hopefully that'll clear 31's in conjunction with your 3" springs.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cherok...es&hash=item3a6882b3af&vxp=mtr#ht_1390wt_1037

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    I have had CJ's they were the last of the real jeeps. Up north where salt is on the road jeeps will rust in 3 years, holes in them at 5 year. I had three of the CJ's and they were pretty tough, not as tough as the FJ40 but for basic use fine. Would never buy a newer jeep to be my only transportation. The 258 siz will last and run forever, but you will have constant valve noise, just part of that engines charater.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Looks good. If it was mine, I would get out the angle grinder, and chop off about 1.5 inches of the fenders, right past the lip where the flares were. Unless You plan on having fender flares again. Just make sure you avoid the spot welds on the rear. I am not sure if it would diminish the structural integrity, since xjs don't have a frame. You could cut slits inbetween the spot welds and fold it over with a hammer. The front doesn't matter.

Edit. I don't believe the xj will clear 31s without atleast cutting the fenders with a 3" lift kit. It probably will be fine around town, but if you disco the swaybar, and mildly offroad it, the fenders will get smashed. My advise is consider using a coil spacer up front, and shackles in the back when you install the lift kit, or you be wishing you did. Ebay has a set for something like $85 shipped from Utah. They are nothing fancy, but the shackles seem to be solid. I actually have a set i haven't got around to using yet. Hopefully that'll clear 31's in conjunction with your 3" springs.
    Jeep Cherokee XJ 2" Front 2" Rear Lift Kit 1984-2001 | eBay

Im doing a rough country 3" with new shocks and full leafs, should have no problem running 31's off road.. Been out with several guys running that setup.. O course I will go light the first time out just to be on the safe side.. I doubt I will cut the fenders, as I may add flair's back down the road..

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Actually, there is a solution to the gas spillage while refueling, it involves replacing the filler neck with one that has a flapper valve inline. Costs about $30 in parts and less than an hour to install. Instructions can be found here, I haven't done this to my LJ but hope to do so in the near future. From the coments in that thread, it works!
    Sweet! Thanks

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Im doing a rough country 3" with new shocks and full leafs, should have no problem running 31's off road.. Been out with several guys running that setup.. O course I will go light the first time out just to be on the safe side.. I doubt I will cut the fenders, as I may add flair's back down the road..

I am wondering if they are offroading with the swaybay connected, or are using bumpstops? Yeah, just try it out, and if you smash your fenders cut em. Hopefully it doesn't slice up either front tire if they rub in full flex.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    you can add flares back after you cut em, just get a.truck model and cut to fit. years ago there used to be a company that would do custom sets. i would chop the rear and truggy or truck the rear and cab it off. like a short bed jeep truck.

Top Bottom