Venture Surplus ad

Just me, or have y'all buying more ammo than ever before? (I reload most, but w/primer shortage, I have been overpaying 4 ammo 4 New Guns)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Looks like stuff is coming in in .223/5.56 and 9mm, but not fast and cheap enough for my liking, BUT I am (over-)paying...

Anyone else overpaying for ammo to shoot new guns (with the primer shortage/hike in full-effect)?
    Lynx Defense

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Prices for powder and primers have nearly doubled in the last two years, so yes, I feel like I’m overpaying.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I don't always buy ammo, but when I do, I over pay. I am buying significantly less ammo, but then I am shooting significantly less too. I used to shoot on average 150-200 rounds a month. I've only been to the range twice this year.

Last ammo purchase was 6 May. Paid $15.99 a box for AE 124gr fmj. Bought 4 boxes. After shipping and tax, came to 40.5¢ per round.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I've mostly been buying .22LR at Walmart. Federal Automatch 325 rounds for around $22.

Have not bought much other ammo, but have been loading pretty regularly...not cheap with primers at $85/1000

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I haven't been buying much. 17hmr is the main caliber I've grabbed if i seen a box reasonably priced. Some .22 as well.... can never have enough.

Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    I have.,..been watching the Texas Hunting Forum for deals on ammo and find them fairly often. Just picked up Herters 500 round 9mm brass package for $150 from one of the members normally $200-$230.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Less. I was shooting A LOT of 9mm before this. Now it's a lot more .22. still buying as much as i can though

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've just been buying components and more dies. I did bite on some 6.5 creedmor ammo at 30 and 45$ a box but I have a new toy to feed so that's how it goes. Today I shot 2 mags of 22 and 40 rounds of Colt 45 then called it a day. That was probably the heat even more so than ammo costs, it's just that time of year.

Like a few others here, I'm only buying federal auto match at WM and waiting for 9 or 223 to dip before I go there.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I have.,..been watching the Texas Hunting Forum for deals on ammo and find them fairly often. Just picked up Herters 500 round 9mm brass package for $150 from one of the members normally $200-$230.
    Yeah I posted first dibs on the $0.28 CPR 7.62X39 but meeting the guy halfway would have been an hour one way for me so I let it go. Took three more days to sell. Weird.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Looks like stuff is coming in in .223/5.56 and 9mm, but not fast and cheap enough for my liking, BUT I am (over-)paying...

Anyone else overpaying for ammo to shoot new guns (with the primer shortage/hike in full-effect)?
    No............I bought deep and cheap back when. Sorry for you if you didn't stock up then.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    No............I bought deep and cheap back when. Sorry for you if you didn't stock up then.
    I bought deep and cheap, but I coulda, shoulda bought twice as deep, or more...

I put a huge order for primers together in early fall 2019, before the coof was even heard of, thinking toward the 2020 election, didn't push the button, put it on the back burner, and then basically forgot about it; that is my real biggest regret.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I did get boatloads of components years prior to the panic, even got some SPMP in the middle of 2020 (normal prices, go figure, nobody bought SPMPs, just SPP and SRP, like it was their first ammo-rodeo), however I did trade some primers off for some powder at the end of 2020, and they wanted more than I wanted to trade, however I got powder and they got primers... $20-$25 for a pound of powder, $20-$25 for a brick of primers, even-steven trade.

I am stocked enough for at least another year of moderate shooting minimum. However, instead of cranking the handle, 9mm has come down quite a bit, so I've been buying more, as range trips have a way of sneaking up on me, when the wife's schedule used to rotate, it is now static, and I hadn't cranked the handle as much as I should have to prep for range-trips, AND we have way more 9mm-eaters than ever before, especially for the PCC with a binary trigger.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm at around 15 CPR for my home made 9mm ammo using 135gr plated and titegroup. Of course that's based on my 4 cent primers which are a thing of the past. Even so, I'd rather keep pulling the handle until 9 settles closer to 12$/box. Might be wishful thinking but I can hold out a while if need be. I'm also trying to be patient knowing the economy will catch up with many and I can see some people taking losses on past hoarding but we will see.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom