Patriot Mobile

Just me, or have y'all buying more ammo than ever before? (I reload most, but w/primer shortage, I have been overpaying 4 ammo 4 New Guns)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    Stocked up heavy, hadn't bought anything since 2019. But recently started to pick up .22 at Wally, Federal Automatch, but snag any plated HV bulk I occasionally find. Sometimes 40gr plated RN MiniMag. Been shooting a lot more .22 to preserve centerfire stock, don't want to let .22 stock to drop too much .

And that is going to be my plan while I wait for prices on other stuff to hopefully drop to more reasonable levels. Doing it this way I can hold out for years.

But it would be nice to restock on centerfire so I could feel comfortable shooting as much of that as I used to pre WuFlu.
    Capitol Armory ad

Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW
    While I am mostly fully stocked, I re-upped about 3 months ago. Mainly got caught up on 223, 9mm, 22LR, some 40 and 45. Even bought a couple hundred rounds of 38 spcl.

There are a few calipers that I still need however, mainly .50AE, .308 and 7.62x54R. I’m mostly waiting for a spam can to come up for sale locally for the Mosin ammo. 50 is insane right now.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    Haven't bought in a while, especially since it's not as hard to find now and prices aren't great.

I've been cutting down on range trips to conserve what I do have.

When the time does come to buy again I'll probably just start buying a case at a time online, seems to be the cheapest way to go at the moment.

Reactions: gll

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I was able to pickup 5500 Lipstick-red projectiles 6/2020 from Acme.

3000) 9mm, of which I got the 124gr RN @$0.0635/ea, as the FP were sold out, but I already have them...
    Reloading these @ ~$0.103/rd.
    2500) .38 SPL 158gr SWCs @$0.07728/ea.
    Reloading .38 SPL @ ~$0.116799/rd for .38 SPL

Still reloading 115gr FMJs at $0.130/rd, so I SHOULD be cranking the handle, but I never seem to get ahead....

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I buy ammo regardless of the current pricing situation, so if it is the good once upon a time normal prices or the sky high prices of the past two years or the somewhat more reasonable prices of today I buy it. It's mostly for enjoyable shooting at the range, plinking, hunting, maybe some for the zombie apocalypse which will be sooner than later the way the libturds are acting, gifts, trading, and finally for my son's & daughter's inheritance (he gets all the ammo and can sell half to give her the funds or he can take funds out of pocket for her and then keep all the ammo).

ETA: Ordered 100 rds of PMC Bronze 44 Special, 180 grains, JHP (actually more of SJHP) ammo today. Just over $1.17 per round shipped, no tax charged.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I haven't been buying much. 17hmr is the main caliber I've grabbed if i seen a box reasonably priced. Some .22 as well.... can never have enough.

Not sure that's right. Heard recently about a guy who had 26K rounds of 22 ammo.

:rocket:

Reactions: gll

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I used to run more lead in various reloads but I get tired of cleaning up excess lube. I've also gone through plenty of the acme coated but I got way more smoke than I'd like in the 9mm and only average accuracy in 45acp/45LC. So I guess I drew the line at plated for semi autos and resigned lead to the colts. I still keep a plethora of FMJ/XTPs for all of them though. I won't be restocking anything high end anytime soon.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Shooting a little less, buying a bit more than I shoot, watching for good ( ya right) deals. Still have a few primers left for the hard to get stuff.

Sergei

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2022
    Corinth
    On the topic of overpaying for it, I'll admit my deepest shame: I paid $70 for a box of .357 a year or so ago. Not good .357 either, cheap nasty Federal wad cutter. Since then, the prices have gotten a lot better, obviously, but the primer shortage is still in full effect and I'm just buying enough to keep a box or two in reserve now because I can't easily get the components to reload for it, and my .357 is my go to for carry.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    On the topic of overpaying for it, I'll admit my deepest shame: I paid $70 for a box of .357 a year or so ago. Not good .357 either, cheap nasty Federal wad cutter. Since then, the prices have gotten a lot better, obviously, but the primer shortage is still in full effect and I'm just buying enough to keep a box or two in reserve now because I can't easily get the components to reload for it, and my .357 is my go to for carry.
    I've reloaded .357 Mag damn-near full-house 158gr PMC Bronze in felt recoil with Lil'Gun up to MAX-charge in the Lee manual.

Since I haven't seen any PMC Bronze on shelves recently, and don't want to tear into my "Bad-day for AntiFa" stash of PMC,
    so I've been reloading those for like $0.233/rd (thanks to 158gr SJHP's on clearance), but haven't reloaded those in nearly a year.

I need to break out the GP-100 again, as she's probably getting bored sitting hidden in the living room w/only a few full speed loaders to keep her company. I got those SMPP for her, as well as 8lbs of dedicated Lil'Gun, might as well start loading in the Air Conditioner, so they are ready when the weather cools down, I've just been wasting time drinking too mcuh beer since COVID started....

Last edited:

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Powder coated 180 grain .360" sized to .358" over a pile of Li'lGun gets their attention.

CA5-F3-BB0-C8-F6-46-FF-8-DE7-349-E430-C60-B2.jpg

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Powder coated 180 grain .360" sized to .358" over a pile of Li'lGun gets their attention.
    I kicked around the idea of Bowling Pin Punishers around 2019-2020, but had little time to dig in, and since I got all the 158gr SJHPs at such a clearance discount, I put that idea on the back-burner. If I get some property in the next year or so, that'll be something I start..

Finally got off my arse today, and cranked out over 100 124gr PC 9mm ammo. I actually pulled 400 primers from the ammo can, then the brick, then the wife got home and I realized during my WFH work day, I hadn't really eaten what I need to, so I snacked, and stopped cranking the handle. Luckily, once I setup on the press, I normally crank out at least 600+ before changing to another caliber. Slacker-am-I, as we've got 7 9mm guns that need to be fed... :D
    So... tomorrow, like I am little orphan Annie.

I really want to shoot my son's future Glock Gen5 MOS in 9mm with a red dot before I send it to his FFL, (he's now 21) as he can't buy a Gen5 in his state, AND I have never fired a 9mm pistol with a low-profile red dot (only the PC Charger with a picatinny-lift), and want to give it a try.

I did get out to the range this weekend and tried out the new PC Carbine, so that was well worth the air-conditioned range fees...
    a couple jams, and NOT on the steel cased (disposable-case) ammo, go figure!

Last edited:

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    I'm glad a decade ago that I decided to consolidate my ammo to 5.56, 9, x39, x54, and a little 30-06/.30cal. I has made collecting ammo much easier.
    I've kept pretty consistent with .22lr, 5.56, and 9mm (9mm and 5.56 as they both use small primers).
    My GP-100, and PS-90 are my only odd-balls (both also small primers), aside from 12-gauge (always seem to be plentiful, and cheapish, in the prior two panics anyways).

The wife is an oddball-whore, as of late...
    She got 2x .45 COLT/410 Bore 1x 2-Shot derringer, and 1xTaurus Judge, Ruger American in .308, AND a DEAGLE in .50 AE,
    ALL OF WHICH USE LARGE PRIMERS, although I "BOUGHT HER" dies for .50AE and .45 Colt, we have no large primers, SOOOOOO
    she probably has to trade-off some of my small pistol and rifle primers to get some... :( <SuperSadFace...>

Last edited:
    Top Bottom