Target Sports

Just me, or have y'all buying more ammo than ever before? (I reload most, but w/primer shortage, I have been overpaying 4 ammo 4 New Guns)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    With prices and availability, I’m buying less than ever before. For the past couple years I’ve been able to get away with buying little to none, but I’m going to need to start buying more in the near future before my supplies get low. If primers became available, and for a reasonable price again, I’d be all set

Reactions: gll

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    With prices and availability, I’m buying less than ever before. For the past couple years I’ve been able to get away with buying little to none, but I’m going to need to start buying more in the near future before my supplies get low. If primers became available, and for a reasonable price again, I’d be all set
    I bought more primers over the last decade than ammo.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I don't even know what I got on my ASVAB, but the recruiter said, essentially "with your score, you can have about any job you want... What do you want to do?"

I said "What do you have with explosives?", and I recall the retort "Are you suicidal?", I responded with something like "I don't think so, or I'd probably know, by now...", with a smile.

I went with "Ammo. Tech.", a prerequisite for EOD, the recruiter said...
    Ammo Tech. school was interesting and informative, and apparently more educational than most of the prerequisites for the Democratic party, or the ATF's knowlege base it seems, as of late...

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    I bought more primers over the last decade than ammo.
    Same page here, exponentially... for 9mm, .357 Mag, .38 SPL, and 5.56.
    I can't remember the last time I bought .223, or 5.56, but It's been MANY YEARS.
    I DID get a box of Factory 9mm, a box of JHP 9mm, and a box of .357 Max in 2020, for the extra brass.
    Wife and I got some SD/HD carry ammo for our carry 9mm's, and I got a 50rd box for my Ruger carry .380 this year.

I usually buy primers by the case (5000), but the current case is that currently primers are overpriced, by +2.5x the old rate, I might buy more factory ammo, when I can get it at a good pre-panic price, and it appears we are almost about there...

I cranked out about ~500 9mm rounds this week, BUT ran out of tumbled brass. :(

Brasso should be arriving today from Amazon, BUT I was JUST at Lowes today getting sunglasses (one of the best prices @ <$7/pair) and COMPLETELY FORGOT I could get Brasso there... but did remember to get an additional a box-cutter... :)

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Not buying more ammo per say, I did grab up a good supply of .223 back in March but it was for a training event.

I do grab components though when I see a good deal I don’t want to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    (ammonia based polishes can weaken brass greatly and should be avoided in all cases regarding reloading)
    ( "Many Years" of Brasso tumbling: https://www.google.com/search?q=brasso+reloading+"many+years" )
    ( 20 years of Brasso tumbling: https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367104 )
    ( 30 years of Brasso tumbling: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206133-Brasso!-Don-t-use-on-brass-cases!-Why-not )

(Most that use Brasso tumble for at lest a few minutes with the lid off, and some of it will evaporate.
    I have only been reloading for 10+ years, and the whoile time... Brasso tumbles, but usually cut Brasso with a solvent, which is usually flamable, and I am sure that can cause a fire, but reloading some 9mm brass at least 20 times, and some of my .223/5.56 brass has been reloaded 15-20 times, and never a case-head separation, and most have been in the upper echelon of load data.

In the last few years I noticed that if I add enough solvent/cutting agent, for a "moist-tumble", I have almost no dust, and the brass is a bit cleaner than a dry'ish tumble.
    I don't think I have ever used anything BUT Brasso, since I started...
    I will be trying NuFinish and rice the next tumble, but we will see how that works.)

I ALWAYS come how with more brass than I brought out to a range, aside from the last 2 trips where the brass was too damned hot, w/ the 9mm brass, we said FSCK'IT... :D (New area, new range and the benches and such are not shade-covered.)

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Not buying more ammo per say, I did grab up a good supply of .223 back in March but it was for a training event.

I do grab components though when I see a good deal I don’t want to pass up.
    WOW, since you mention it, I don't think I have bought any 5.56, or .223 ammo in...
    7+ years. I always ask those dumping brass in the pits/buckets if they reload, and most say take it, for some reason...

They must NOT shoot as close to as much as we do...

Reactions: gll
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angee
    Top Bottom