• ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Own one?

If so, how do like or dislike it?

It's my understanding they were first put into production in 2011 and there were problems.

Now, in 2018 they've been cured of all problems...supposedly.

If you have one, which year is it or do you know?

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    One of the gun rags has an article about this pistol in the latest issue. Seems this pistol has pretty much been in continuous development since 2011. The newest models seem to have most of the bugs worked out.

I do have to question why? The ammo costs almost as much as 9mm. .22 Mag in a handgun is about the same as .22LR in a rifle.

Get a Ruger Charger, they've always looked like fun.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    TheMailMan,

My answer: This pistol holds 30 + 1 round of .22 Magnums, which are quite potent. Far, far more than .22 cal LR's.

Very little recoil which means you can stay on target while continuously pulling the trigger if need be...

While the overall size is full, it's light as a feather, even when loaded.

I currently own a lightweight Ruger LC9S, but I've had problems with it. Plus, it's relatively low capacity means I have to carry a back up loaded magazine, which is a good idea anyway if the one in the pistol goes wonky...but, I digress.

I want the PMR-30 for yard work because the world as we know it isn't friendly and/or easy as it once was. A lightweight, lotsa fire power, easy to shoot pistol is what I want. Believe me, I've plenty of pistols, but they're all heavy for yard work.

I had a few Katrina refugees give me grief in my yard one day minding my own business tree pruning. I simply looked up from my work to see two hood rats stopped on the side walk and one demanded in an ugly voice: Whatchew lookin at..? Had I told them what I thought it would've been on, my yard and property be damned...I'm certain these cretins would've jumped me.

When working in the yard these days, I'm armed, not just when I leave the house.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    A friend had one of the early grendel p-30.
    Loud best described it. Impressive muzzle flash too.
    Barrel was too short to make good use of the powder charge.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    massive fireballs and no recoil. If the owner has weak hands the slide is super light and easy to rack. and with 30 rounds no need for reloads if 15 guys charge in the door :)

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    It was on my list when I moved to a free state.

Being told you CAN'T have a 30 round pistol makes you want them more... the Draco and a 10.5" 300BLK pistol just aren't the same, but kinda scratched that itch with grandfathered mags.

If I could pick one up local for less than 4 bills, I probably would.

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    I picked up one last year. I’ll say it’s my favorite pistol and I have had zero problems. This from a guy who hates Kel-Tec. I cannot think of any downsides to mine.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    It was on my list when I moved to a free state.

Being told you CAN'T have a 30 round pistol makes you want them more... the Draco and a 10.5" 300BLK pistol just aren't the same, but kinda scratched that itch with grandfathered mags.

If I could pick one up local for less than 4 bills, I probably would.

Eagle Gun Range in Farmers Branch has several for sale for $349.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I bought mine in late 2011. I think it was from a second production run where they had already addressed a few issues, but I'm not sure specifically what those were. I don't shoot it often, but I haven't had any issues with it functioning.

Overall I think it's better finished than most other KelTec products. The trigger on it is excellent. That combined with it's very mild recoil and huge muzzle flashes make it a very fun gun to shoot. Having 30rds in the palm of your hand is pretty awesome as well. The stock fiber optic sights are nice. Accuracy seems good enough. Wouldn't expect to hit a prairie dog at 200 yards with it, tho ;)

I've never chronographed mine so I don't know about the claims that .22mag is no faster out of it's 4.3" barrel than a .22lr would be, but that seems plausible with the huge muzzle flash it produces. The thing is no one makes a double stack 30rd pistol in .22lr... If they did, I would buy one!

It is very lightweight, but I wouldn't consider it small. If I were to carry it, I'd do so OWB. I'm not sure a PMR30 would be ideal for two legged predators, but it's better than nothing if that's the only thing you'd carry. Thirty big fireballs in a row would certainly be intimidating...

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Here is why:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/jeremy-s/double-stack-magazine-rimmed-cartridges/

TLDR: wanting to feed rounds from a detachable box magazine is why rimless cartridges were invented in first place, and the PMR 30 magazine uses a couple of tricks that accomplish "double" stacking.
    Doesn't say why the same methods couldn't be applied to a .22lr version. Maybe the length of the .22WMR is required to make it work reliably? If they could duplicate it for .22lr I think it would be extremely popular.

I don't think KelTec invented that magazine... It's derived from the P30 Grendel.

Top Bottom