• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illixir

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Colorado City
    Yes the title is correct, my family and I were asked to leave the Alamo yesterday. My wife, 11 month old daughter, in-laws, and I were asked to leave when my daughter decided to dig up half a Cheeto from the depths of her stroller (not sure where it came from) during our stroll through the long barracks. Almost instantly we were asked to leave the Alamo per their no food policy. I am a history buff and even more so when it comes to Texas independence, and I was very disappointed. Just thought I would share.

Sent from my bad a$$ Custom Epic 4G
    ARJ Defense ad

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Very sorry to hear that. I will say that when I went to see the Travis Letter a couple months ago, they seemed more stern about keeping people from being loud and reminding the visitors it is a War Shrine....but your experience sounds a little overboard.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I would have asked to speak with management, then calmly explained that the cheeto must have been lodged in the depths of the stroller and that you didn't intentionally try to smuggle it in. I'm sure they would have apologized and let you carry on. But that does suck.

illixir

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Colorado City
    Very sorry to hear that. I will say that when I went to see the Travis Letter a couple months ago, they seemed more stern about keeping people from being loud and reminding the visitors it is a War Shrine....but your experience sounds a little overboard.

I completely understand that it is a war shrine and have nothing but respect for what those people did there. It makes me wonder what they would think about asking children to leave over something like that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's pretty crazy.

I wonder if this is common or if someone went a little overboard(by their standards as well).

Seems like it would be fairly obvious it was not intentional so long as there wasn't a half full Cheetos bag in the stroller.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    I completely understand that it is a war shrine and have nothing but respect for what those people did there. It makes me wonder what they would think about asking children to leave over something like that
    Exactly my thoughts and I didn't mean to imply you were being disrespectful in the slightest. I have a feeling Col Travis and company don't mind a stale cheeto or two. Sounds like an employee is losing sight of the big picture.

FWIW-when my wife and I took our 3 kids to see the Travis Letter, there was an hour-long wait. About 15 minutes into the line, it became apparent my special needs son wasn't going to be able to handle it much longer. I quickly explained the situation to a worker, and they very kindly let us take advantage of a lull and use a bypass entrance. At least somebody there "gets it"...maybe file a complaint?

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I completely understand that it is a war shrine and have nothing but respect for what those people did there. It makes me wonder what they would think about asking children to leave over something like that.

They're worried about the damage food can do to the building itself. Preserving the Alamo is their first mission.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Sorry it happened, but, I understand the policy and appreciate the strict enforcement.

I got my ass chewed there but was allowed to stay. Had my cap on.
    We have monuments, then we have shrines.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    From what I understand the group in charge has neglected the Alamo into almost disrepair. Its an amazing place. I've been there many times and it never gets old. They were out of line if you explained the cheeto.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sorry it happened, but, I understand the policy and appreciate the strict enforcement.

I got my ass chewed there but was allowed to stay. Had my cap on.
    We have monuments, then we have shrines.

I've always been taught to take off my hat when indoors out of respect. Glad it's enforced there.

Glad you weren't thrown out over it too.

erratadata

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    NW SAN Antonio
    I've always been taught to take off my hat when indoors out of respect.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine to see a man wearing a hat indoors, and I see it more and more often especially in restaurants. Inevitably it is a younger man, and I grieve at the lack of upbringing, respect, and etiquette. I guess it's to be expected with the way the younger generations are being brought up. In my day you removed your hat indoors unless you were under-arms in a military unit.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yes the title is correct, my family and I were asked to leave the Alamo yesterday. My wife, 11 month old daughter, in-laws, and I were asked to leave when my daughter decided to dig up half a Cheeto from the depths of her stroller (not sure where it came from) during our stroll through the long barracks.
    I've read the thread and I think it's crap. PEOPLE skills are lacking on so many levels.

Top Bottom