• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wiked

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Sucks about the cheeto, I wear a cap every single day, take it off to eat, at church and when at home. Other wise I usually have a cap or hard hat on. I've never gotten from any one that it was disrespectful to wear it indoors, and I don't wear it indoors just to be disrespectful. I guess different people do things differently. The Alamo is also still a Mission, which is why I would have figured the no cap thing there, I didn't know that other war memorials required the removal of hats, makes sense I suppose.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    With all due respect to the Alamo and the men who died there, I was accosted by the Alamo "Defenders", too. Respect is earned and deserved....not commanded. I wasn't doing anything wrong but the guy lectured me, anyway. It ruined the enjoyment of being in that special place.

Incidentally, having been all over 48 of the 50 states and visiting Civil War battlefields and monuments of all types, the most humbling places I have ever been were the Arlington National Cemetery and the Lincoln Memorial in DC. Tourists are simply struck silent when they enter those places. Kids quiet down and their Moms quit yelling at them. It's a very moving experience!

Flash

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I am unapologetically 100% on the side of the staff on this one. No food, no caps, no buts, no exceptions. Lord knows we've lowered our standards SO much about what is good and right in this State and this Country. I'm glad to see someone taking a stand.

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    I am unapologetically 100% on the side of the staff on this one. No food, no caps, no buts, no exceptions. Lord knows we've lowered our standards SO much about what is good and right in this State and this Country. I'm glad to see someone taking a stand.

Absolutely agree 100%. Way too many people coming to The Alamo looking at it as form of Six Flags. It's a Shrine,treat it as such and behave like you have had some home schooling.

The Daughters of The Republic of Texas (DRT) also lost sight of what The Alamo is an represents . They saved The Alamo in 1905 by taking charge and for the last many years lost their vision. They started seeing it as their own and also not caring for it.They strayed and The Great State of Texas bitched slapped them. The General Land Office (GLO) is now in charge.

"One of the oldest and largest chapters of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas was told recently to remove its furniture and other privately owned items from the Alamo grounds, concluding a tumultuous year for the group that included losing custodianship of the state-owned shrine and accusations of failures, oversights and improprieties...
    The move from Alamo Hall comes on the heels of a troubled year for the DRT that saw the Land Office fully assume custodianship of the shrine under a 2011 state law....
    And last month, the Texas attorney general's office released a scathing report that accused the DRT of numerous oversights and improprieties, including misappropriation of state funds and failure to preserve the shrine's mission-era structures."

DRT told to pack up possessions at Alamo - San Antonio Express-News

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    With all due respect to the Alamo and the men who died there, I was accosted by the Alamo "Defenders", too. Respect is earned and deserved....not commanded. I wasn't doing anything wrong but the guy lectured me, anyway. It ruined the enjoyment of being in that special place.!

Flash

What were you "accosted" for? I assume the lecture you received had a subject.

Respect for the people in charge of protecting the Alamo is irrelevant. You don't have to respect them, but you have to do what they say or you will have to leave.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't disagree with you. Seems somebody was having a bad day, or maybe they are wanting to get the word out.

Does seem a little extreme.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    What were you "accosted" for? I assume the lecture you received had a subject.

I can read. I read the posted regulations, understood them and complied.

I was walking along, doing nothing wrong, obeying the posted rules and an Alamo Nazi stopped me and lectured me anyway.
    My reaction?........... F 'em!

The "Alamo Defender" platoon sucks and they detract from the experience of being in that special place. A better plan would be .......If someone is doing nothing wrong, leave them to Hell alone!

I toured ALL of the missions in the area, loved being there, learned about them and experienced those priceless historical locations. I was never advised that I was being disrespectful. As a tourist....I'm a good one.

The Mission San Antonio De Valero is one part of Texas that I have no further interest in.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lectured you on what????

The rules?? Any rule in particular??

If you are going to bash them I think its only fitting to tell the full story.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Son...Learn to show some respect......... but do it away from me. You just made my ignore list

Flash

Last edited:

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Flash, I don't think he meant it the way you're taking it. I'm also curious what they lectured you on. Not in an argumentative way. Just curious. Did they pull you to the side to go over their rules or what? No disrespect sir.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I think that there is several of us curious as to what happened.

I didn't take Youngun's as being disrespectful...just being curious as some of us are.

Not trying to be argumentative about it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Son...Learn to show some respect......... but do it away from me. You just made my ignore list

Flash

At the respect comment...LOL.

I said nothing disrespectful and I don't see why I should hold you at a higher level than anyone else on this forum.

If someone were to say an FFL screwed them over and refuse to say how or what took place we would all have questions. This is no different.

Take offense to it and put me on your ignore list if you wish. Your just another guy on the Internet, you deserve no more consideration or respect from me than any other random stranger.

Sounds harsh but not intended that way. Have a nice day.

Edit to add: there are basic levels of respect that I show everyone. I don't believe I have shown you any less.

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    If he is to learn respect, you should learn to frame relevant information into your rants about any specific location or occurrence Mr. Flash.

Younggun is not asking for anything unreasonable here, simply the details on the reason for which you were accosted. Nobody here doubts you were, but nobody knows why because you haven't said.

If his additional question marks, which I assume he used for emphasis, offended you I would kindly recommend the some advice given by Sgt. Hulka in the 1981 blockbuster "Stripes." "Lighten up, Francis."

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was walking into the Mission, when the Alamo Nazi stopped me, stood in front of me to block my way, then lectured me on the rules and regulations about visiting the site. I did nothing wrong. It reminded me of a drill instructor getting in the face of a recruit.

Flash

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    He didn't reference any particular infraction? He just came up and starting saying something along the lines of "We have rules and you need to follow them?"

If that was the case that is indeed strange.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Strange indeed.

Were you stopped individually, or were there others entering with you. Not necessarily part of your group, but just a group that was walking in at the same time?

Was this around the time that the responsibility for enforcing rules changed hands?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've been there several times, and never had an issue, never seen anybody have an issue. I even saw one gentleman wearing a hat, but nobody asked him to take it off. Might have something to do with the purple heart and DSC pins he'd picked up in the Chosin being displayed on it...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Yes, he stopped me by standing in my way, lectured me on the regulations and I was allowed to continue only when his lecture was completed. It won't happen again.

Flash

Top Bottom