• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Wow, I did not know this. So if a predator comes and eats a dead hog and then dies from being poisoned you're in some serious crap?

Grackles are protected? That's interesting.

In Louisiana they pulled Kaput from consideration because the "hogs only" feeders could be opened and fed from by black bears, which are protected in most places in the south.

And yes, most birds are protected , even grackles.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    You can and *should* kill as many Starlings as you want, though

**** grackles
    I had a black lab as a kid that could jump about 6-7 feet in the air.

He'd see one in the distance from the back door, book it, jump & catch it out of the air, then squash it against the ground by rolling on it until it was flat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

hizer4648

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2017
    Ya, the grackles on my property don't ever have to worry about getting hurt. Ever again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have several boxes of clay targets that warn not to use where hogs feed. I suggest setting up a clay target shoot in the field where the problem exists.

Have fun while poisoning the field???

bob

MCTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    As long as they don't start introducing hog predators, I think most of these methods are viable.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    In Louisiana they pulled Kaput from consideration because the "hogs only" feeders could be opened and fed from by black bears, which are protected in most places in the south.

And yes, most birds are protected , even grackles.

Grackles are protected? Where do you get this?

The only birds not protected by any state or federal law are European starlings, English sparrows, feral rock doves (common pigeon, Columba livia) and Eurasian collared-doves; these species may be killed at any time, their nests or eggs destroyed, and their feathers may be possessed. Yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer's blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds (does not include cattle egret), crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a h

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Grackles are protected? Where do you get this?

The only birds not protected by any state or federal law are European starlings, English sparrows, feral rock doves (common pigeon, Columba livia) and Eurasian collared-doves; these species may be killed at any time, their nests or eggs destroyed, and their feathers may be possessed. Yellow-headed, red-winged, rusty, or Brewer's blackbirds and all grackles, cowbirds (does not include cattle egret), crows, or magpies may be controlled without a federal or state depredation permit when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a h

Key word there is "depredating".

Half a dozen grackles crapping on your Mercedes does not constitute depredation and will be expensive if you take to shooting them in your neighborhood.

A gentleman in an affluent NW Austin neighborhood found that out the hard way.

If you are going to use the depredation clause, they had really be depredating, or about to deprecate.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Key word there is "depredating".

Half a dozen grackles crapping on your Mercedes does not constitute depredation and will be expensive if you take to shooting them in your neighborhood.

A gentleman in an affluent NW Austin neighborhood found that out the hard way.

If you are going to use the depredation clause, they had really be depredating, or about to deprecate.

Your example is rather extreme.

"when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance."

Grackles are a nuisance, we will get swarms of them in our trees.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Your example is rather extreme.

"when found committing or about to commit depredations on ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in numbers and in a manner that constitutes a health hazard or other nuisance."

Grackles are a nuisance, we will get swarms of them in our trees.

Guess it depends on the zip code you are controlling them in.

Top Bottom