• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Who does it, does it work, and is the sparring "full contact"???

I want to get back into a school where I can get my cardio up, learn some skills, and trade some hits.

There's a Krav Maga place close to my house that I am going to reconnoiter tomorrow evening, but wanted to get some opinions from some of the others that have a fighting background.
    Lynx Defense

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Killer Workout, very intense classes. No nonsense self defense. Wear a cup, like the best one you can find........you seriousily will get hit in the groin everyclass. Full contact sparring would likely maim and or permanetly damage you, so no it is not full contact.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    It's a great tool, another option. I teach Krav Maga for Law Enforcement. It's not the end all/be all, but is a good system. Anything from striking, weapon retention, chokes, and mentality. I have to go up to Richmond Texas in May to re-certify. Go to the local facility and they'll hook you up with a trial. They have weight training, cardio, cycling, KM skills, and sparring. Pete is like Chuck Norris, LOL

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    reconnoiter

Good word, don't see it used often.

I'm interested in the Krav thing myself. I need something structured to get my lazy butt working out - going to the gym isn't going to happen. But having a class one or two days a week would make me feel obligated. Worked when I did TKD for years. But I'd rather do a more effective "combat-oriented" art.

Actually, what I would love to find would be a complete combat school that would provide training/focus on
    1) Fitness (as that is critical to defending onself)
    2) Hand to hand combat/traditional martial arts
    3) Sidearm offense and defense
    4) Knife offense and defense
    5) Weapons of opportunity

Now that would be cool.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Along with the different striking, along with focusing on technique, every strike wont be perfect but to keep striking, keep moving, do not give up. You dont have to throw a perfect punch, you won't always have the opportunity to throw it, It's never the "ideal" situation.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx

I'm interested in the Krav thing myself. I need something structured to get my lazy butt working out - going to the gym isn't going to happen. But having a class one or two days a week would make me feel obligated. Worked when I did TKD for years. But I'd rather do a more effective "combat-oriented" art.

Actually, what I would love to find would be a complete combat school that would provide training/focus on

Now that would be cool.

Is there a KM place in Austin? I knw the san Antonio facility has those

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

Now that would be cool.

That's my wish list, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Is there a KM place in Austin? I knw the san Antonio facility has those
    Yeah, but the key is sidearm offense. I mean incorporating live fire training in it.

Kind of like combining Krav and Suarez - getting some of each on a regular basis for a monthly fee.....
    Yes, it's pipe dreaming :)

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Killer Workout, very intense classes. No nonsense self defense. Wear a cup, like the best one you can find........you seriousily will get hit in the groin everyclass. Full contact sparring would likely maim and or permanetly damage you, so no it is not full contact.

Are any cups better than others when it comes to protecting your junk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I first took Aikido about 20 years ago, Takwondo 10 years ago, and then Krav. Krav has techniques you can use effectively "right now" . You don't have to learn Katas, or forms. There is not multiple techniques for each attack, etc.

A Krav school just opened up near our house, and my wife and I are going to get back into it. Great stuff.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I first took Aikido about 20 years ago, Takwondo 10 years ago, and then Krav. Krav has techniques you can use effectively "right now" . You don't have to learn Katas, or forms. There is not multiple techniques for each attack, etc.

A Krav school just opened up near our house, and my wife and I are going to get back into it. Great stuff.
    +1

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yeah, but the key is sidearm offense. I mean incorporating live fire training in it.

Kind of like combining Krav and Suarez - getting some of each on a regular basis for a monthly fee.....
    Yes, it's pipe dreaming :)

The San Antonio facility does that, but using training gun involving some sort or blanks/simunitions.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom