• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I know, but one has to be better than another. I don't want to find out the painful way. I might see what the UFC calls for in their list of approved gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fit is important, don't get anything too big.

tiny+cup.jpg

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    theres a big KM gym/school in Spring. I wouldnt mind going but I need to get in better shape first

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Actually, what I would love to find would be a complete combat school that would provide training/focus on
    1) Fitness (as that is critical to defending onself)
    2) Hand to hand combat/traditional martial arts
    3) Sidearm offense and defense
    4) Knife offense and defense
    5) Weapons of opportunity

Now that would be cool.
    This is what we do in Central Texas Combatives Training Group. We have a group that meets in Austin every Saturday morning, and in Killeen Tues and Thurs evenings, plus one or more Saturdays at the range.

We started CTCTG because, like you, we found no one locally offered the full package of skills we wanted to train (at the quality level we wanted). We were traveling all over the country to attend seminars, and frankly that's expensive and time consuming. So now we train together locally, and pool our resources to bring "big name" instructors to us.

Because we are not tied to any one style or system, we seek out and train what is most effective, not what is going to put the most money in some instructor's pocket. Many of our events are free, and all are comparatively low cost. There's no cost to try out our weekly classes, and no contracts, direct debit, or other stuff you'll see at commercial schools.

Contact me for more info steve@ctctg.com

JohnH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Hewitt
    Not brown nosing SteveM, but he is right. And I am not an instructor/guru in anything. But those guys at CTCTG seem to be well rounded. Pistol, knife, stick, AK, M4(if there is interest), combatives. It's kind of a one-stop-shop.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    theres a big KM gym/school in Spring. I wouldnt mind going but I need to get in better shape first

No better way to start. Fortunately the facility here has courses for all skill levels and plenty of variety for your fitness level too. If you don't start something, then you'd definitely never be in the condition you desire. I enjoy teaching the police officers.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Yeah I know what you mean man. Just harder said than done sometimes. I used to love working out, did it so much infact I lost 60 pounds and had 20'' arms in about 2 months, but i had a workout partner then. For some reason Im one of those who needs a partner to push me, but everyone pussies out on me when they say they want to start working out lol. Being in a...I guess you could call it a deep depression for the last several months isnt helping anything though. Im kind of hoping if i could get into something like this and enjoy it that it may help get me out of my funk and give me some confidence in myself.

BrenGunner

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Kyle
    There's a few places in Austin. I did it for a few years. Awesome workout, pretty intense sparring sessions. Good training. I'm trying to remember what the little gym was called off of 71 and 35 by the exposé.

timf79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Texas
    My wife and I want to do some self-defense courses as well.
    Krav seems to be a good basis.
    But since we plan on doing one endurance run/triathlon every month this year, we can not risk injuries.

Can Krav be done without getting injured?
    Also are there any recommendations for classes near Grand Prairie, TX (DFW area)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My wife and I want to do some self-defense courses as well.
    Krav seems to be a good basis.
    But since we plan on doing one endurance run/triathlon every month this year, we can not risk injuries.

Can Krav be done without getting injured?
    Also are there any recommendations for classes near Grand Prairie, TX (DFW area)

Any sport can cause injury. Especially martial arts.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yes, easily be done without injury if applied correctly. Don't get fooled by vids or demos. You don't just walk into a class and get thrown around. The 4 years I've been doing and teaching, the most we've had was a 1/4 inch laceration to an eyelid. I always viewed that you can get "hurt" but don't want to be "injured.". You'll be sore from strikes, movements, etc...but, you won't walk away with broken bones. You can limit your own level.

Like TxI said, there's always a chance. Most cases I saw were a result of someone not going with it, or "not being a good bad guy."

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I'm interested in Krav Maga also, but like Timf79 asked about, I'm concerned about injuries. I wanted to learn self defense and started training MMA (without even knowing what it was at the time) in my early 40's with no prior combat sports experience. Absolutely loved it, but had to give it up because of all the constant injuries I managed to accumulate from "light sparring drills" in a short period of time - fractured radius, jaw wouldn't shut completely while chewing for a whole week - twice, nagging neck injuries, weird hip muscle injury and the last injury that finally did me in - cracked ribs from a roundhouse kick - and that was all while wearing protective head gear, heavy 16 oz. gloves, shin pads, mouthpiece, etc.

So for someone who's now in their late 40's and would love to get back into sparring, would Krav Maga subject me to similar injuries? Or is it such a different kind of training and self defense that any kind of sparring would be limited in scope so as to avoid the kinds of injuries I sustained trying to learn MMA?

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    The best answer is to go to your local facility. Most, if not all, are willing to give a 1 to 2 week free pass for you to check out all their programs. It isn't as bad as what some people project or think it to be. It'll be an eye opener for conditioning, but enjoyable. Those that I have taught have come back again and again. I'll be hosting another class in about a month for our officers again. Don't watch videos, don't take suggestions, just go in and take a look for yourself. Get a feel for the place. Or, contact the Krav Maga Worldwide for licensed people in your area. Like Crossfit, people are making spin offs. Find the licensed facility and check it out. There was a 65 year old man in one of the very first classes I attended.

Top Bottom