• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So I gotta carry a video camera and OC spray so I can be adequately prepared for whatever eventuality? Get real, soon you’ll be saying I also need a taser and a knife and god knows what else to be properly arrayed.

Some places you can’t fight back with more than is displayed against you. Texas was that way in the 70’s. So if a burglar trapped you in an upstairs bath and all he had was a 6” Bowie then you had to excuse yourself to go to the kitchen and grab any knife under 6” so you could have a knife fight with the burglar.

This OC and video “stuff” being always at hand is just as dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of that is true. OC is a smart tool to carry.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not that it matters, but 99% of Americans have a video camera on them 24/7.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    No one said you've got to carry anything, but the smart guy would carry some OC when practical. It maintains a reactionary gap and is only force, which in reality is going to be the answer to many more scenarios than my pistol. A pistol is definitely the right tool for the job sometimes, but it shouldnt be the only tool you have.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Getting into an OC spray battle with a road rager is more dumb than a box of rocks. Roll up your window and leave. If you can't leave and they break the window then you have a reasonable fear if grievous bodily harm. Trying to spray them while you are in an enclosed vehicle, yeah that's crazy.

( Note I carry pepper spray when walking dogs so I am not averse to it generally.)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So I gotta carry a video camera and OC spray so I can be adequately prepared for whatever eventuality? Get real, soon you’ll be saying I also need a taser and a knife and god knows what else to be properly arrayed.

Some places you can’t fight back with more than is displayed against you. Texas was that way in the 70’s. So if a burglar trapped you in an upstairs bath and all he had was a 6” Bowie then you had to excuse yourself to go to the kitchen and grab any knife under 6” so you could have a knife fight with the burglar.

This OC and video “stuff” being always at hand is just as dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought pretty much everybody had a dash cam nowadays.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Very true, but as of 9/1, driving while using a phone is illegal

While I'm applauding your broad application of the law, it only says reading or composing an electronic message, be that SMS, Whatsapp, iMessages, tindr, grindr, Twitter, Facebook, etc. is illegal. Other forms of hand-held phone use, such as using GPS maps, selecting songs on Spotify or making phone calls, are still legal.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    While I'm applauding your broad application of the law, it only says reading or composing an electronic message, be that SMS, Whatsapp, iMessages, tindr, grindr, Twitter, Facebook, etc. is illegal. Other forms of hand-held phone use, such as using GPS maps, selecting songs on Spotify or making phone calls, are still legal.

Just curious, you did not include filming videos in your list of legal phone usage.
    Was that just missed in your post, or would that be illegal?

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Just curious, you did not include filming videos in your list of legal phone usage.
    Was that just missed in your post, or would that be illegal?

I didn't see filming videos mentioned explicitly, and since this is America, not Germany, everything not banned outright is allowed. The only thing that's banned outright by this new law as of 9/1, in Texas, is reading or writing electronic messages. IANAL tho.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I didn't see filming videos mentioned explicitly, and since this is America, not Germany, everything not banned outright is allowed. The only thing that's banned outright by this new law as of 9/1, in Texas, is reading or writing electronic messages. IANAL tho.

YG, and I were talking about using phones and dash cams to video the conflict.

ETA: I might have misunderstood your first sentence.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My GF was pulled over in a school zone 2 weeks ago while applying chap stick.
    The officer claimed she was on the phone.
    This is not relevant, I just thought I would mention it.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    YG, and I were talking about using phones and dash cams to video the conflict.

ETA: I might have misunderstood your first sentence.

That happens occasionally with sentences of mine ;) I'm saying reading and writing electronic messages has been banned state-wide. Anything else you do with a phone is still legal on a state level, but local laws going further than that have not been voided.

Distracted driving in general, like applying chapstick or swerving or doing 20 under in the left lane while talking on the phone is a different law/paragraph.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    It was my understanding that hands-free devices must be used while driving.
    Is that not correct?

You can still use a hands-free device to have messages read to you and reply to them, i.e. text to speech and voice recognition. No hands-free devices necessary to make a phone call, look up an address or change your streaming station.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    My GF was pulled over in a school zone 2 weeks ago while applying chap stick.
    The officer claimed she was on the phone.
    This is not relevant, I just thought I would mention it.
    Talking on the phone while in a school zone has been illegal for a few years now.

Top Bottom