Laws on pepper spray

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by oldguy, Jul 19, 2008.

1. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Would like some comments on using pepper spray as a first line of defense and if legal in Texas. Current smash and grab crimes in Austin and surrounding areas have me concerned for spouse. I was looking at the Kimber Lifeact Guardian Angel Pepper Spray. Any ideas, thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    As long as you are not committing a crime you can carry it with you.Do not be afraid to carry pepper spray as it is legal.

3. ctxpta

ctxpta New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    Education education education!!!!!

Before you take someone at their face opinion PLEASE EDUCATE yourself and find out. Ask them where to find the info. All these sights we go to such as AR-15, chlforum are OK...if and only if you research yourself.

Pepper Spray and OC spray CAN be PROHIBITED WEAPONS!!! Refer to Texas PC 46.01 first for the definition of the device! (14) "chemical dispensing device".....other than small chemical dispenser.....

Be aware others...such as Law Enforcement may think ANY device that is not a key chain device falls in this category!

PC 46.03 Places Weapons Prohibited

PC 46.05 Prohibited Weapons

ALL of this is important read for someone carring ANY OC or Pepper Spray that can be argued is greater in size than a small chemical dispenser...ANY size other than a key chain unit the SMALLEST is arguable!

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Pepper spray that is small, available commercially and for self protection is is legal. Standard use of force laws apply.

Here are some laws you should be aware of;

After speaking to many LEOs it is MY BELIEF that unless you are carrying the small fire extinguisher sized OC you will be ok. However, I carry a keydefender, and it is small.

5. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin
    § 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an
    offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures,
    transports, repairs, or sells:
    (1) an explosive weapon;
    (2) a machine gun;
    (3) a short-barrel firearm;
    (4) a firearm silencer;
    (5) a switchblade knife;
    (6) knuckles;
    (7) armor-piercing ammunition;
    ?????????????????

(8) a chemical dispensing device

How come I see people selling AP and API ammo for .50 cals all the time at gun shows?

6. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You gotta go to 46.01 and read the definition;

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/htm/pe.010.00.000046.00.htm#46.01.00

7. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys very informative. I was looking at the follow
    type spray, anyone purchased.?

Kimber Lifeact Guardian Angel Pepper Spray

8. woulf

woulf New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    As long as its under 4 ounces, you're good to go. The common sense law is really all you need to follow with it:rofl:

The kind that has the UV dye in it is great too.

9. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I don't believe that there is a precedent that calls for under 4 ounces to be legal. The law does not.

10. woulf

woulf New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    I was actually going under the restrictions from a couple of online dealers, including Cheaper Than Dirt.