• Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Truckers huh? Here's a good one -

I work on a college campus closely with the grounds maintenance dept. Grounds Supervisor was out and saw a big rig in a parking lot they had no business in (too small, no turn around room, one way in and out, no docks) and they are just taking out these plastic custom made bump stops for the cars. She's obviously lost and took a wrong turn. So he gets out, yells at the driver for running over his bumpers, and the driver says "oh well - take it up with my company". No remorse, no apology - nothing. Then, the driver proceeds to back up, taking out two more of these bumpers and smirks as she does it! So he's like alright, I got you. He blocks the entry/exit and next thing you know, campus police are on the scene. Because this jackass driver couldn't just show a bit of remorse and be decent about it, the driver got a ticket for insurance being expired by almost a year, and they got a bill of $500 to replace the bump stops.

A simple apology and ounce of remorse would have avoided all that, and replacements would have been pulled from our pile of extra bumpers same day at no cost.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Remember driving in TEXAS, particularly on a two lane “country road” where folks would pull over and drive on the shoulder so you could go around them?
    I can remember two occasions in the last year when I did that and the person behind me had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I could see them in a rear-view mirror, looking totally befuddled and with no notion that I was telling them to pass and making it easier for them.

I shudder to think of the problems I'd have if I picked up an old car without turn signals and tried to give hand signals.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    We still move over here. Still wave.

Folks in the left lane dont bother me. I assure you that when I get ready to go around....theres nothin you can do at that point, but I get it done and move on.

Ive had one wreck in the last 30 years.

Rainin, comin home from flying into waco. 05'... been in the shit in NewOrleans. Had my slacks etc on and my badge on my belt. Went to pass a LideIndustries truck with tanks on it, rainin, and realized I hadnt seen an oncoming car. Went to duck back in and realized the guy behind had sped up to cut me out. Hit the brakes HARD to fall back behind him and he also hit the brakes hard to match. This opened a gap behind the Lide truck so I hit the gas HARD to tuck in. As I went to pull in I looked back and he was coming hell bent for election up on my quarter so I couldnt pull back over.

....about this time the oncoming car passed me....on their shoulder.

Hit the brakes HARD again....realize a SECOND car is oncoming now...as I slip in he is getting out of sync with me and just falling back so I hit the gas hard again and pull ahead to the gap once again...another oncoming car....danger close...I check back to pull over and the guy is running wide open to get back next to me and is diving towards my side.

Didnt want to risk the next car passing and Id had enough, Ill leave the rest to your imagination. His day went downhill from there.

Cops wrote me a ticket for illegal lane change and sent me on my way:green:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I can remember two occasions in the last year when I did that and the person behind me had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I could see them in a rear-view mirror, looking totally befuddled and with no notion that I was telling them to pass and making it easier for them.

I shudder to think of the problems I'd have if I picked up an old car without turn signals and tried to give hand signals.
    Ben, you did it on the way to the meetup.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    That was one of the things that impressed me about Texas people when I first moved here in the early 80s, and I quickly adopted it.

I don't get on 2 lane roads much anymore but I still do it in the city. I try my best to let people in that are trying to pull out of a cross street, drive thru or parking lot into heavy traffic. Most don't wave, ungrateful jerks, but when someone does me a favor in city traffic I still always wave to let them know I appreciated it.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'll move to the shoulder, if I can see far enough to know it's clear. Yesterday was challenging with all the blown tire debris.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    On the opposite side of the spectrum, I hate the people who aren't aggressive enough. They are unpredictable drivers. e.g. The one in a merging lane, that won't speed up and merge.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    giphy.gif

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    On the opposite side of the spectrum, I hate the people who aren't aggressive enough. They are unpredictable drivers. e.g. The one in a merging lane, that won't speed up and merge.

I used to have a friend (work acquaintance) who took the, “Dive Friendly the Texas Way” to a whole new level! To the point where it got so bad, I hated riding with him. Even to the point where I thought it got dangerous!

In his attempt to be polite and courteous, he’d do things that became unpredictable to other drivers. That is, things out of the ordinary which left other “normal” drivers, puzzled as to what the devil he was doing?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben, you did it on the way to the meetup.
    It's automatic, I suppose. I had forgotten about that. Did the drivers know to pass? I ask because I don't think either of the times I'm remembering came from that trip.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    And the ones who enter the freeway going 45-50mph.
    If I can't get over F them. Many of them don't understand that they have to yield not the other way around.

I hit the on ramp as fast as I can go. It is easier to slow down than speed up.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Merging onto the interstate at full speed is a challenge for people for some reason. I'm with you guys. I will add to that though a lot of people can't time it. I look as I'm getting on it. You have to merge. You have to see if you have an idiot that isn't going with the flow. Same goes for people merging in with you. Look. Don't just assume they have a brain.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I still this pretty often on country roads. I definitely move over when I'm in a slower vehicle as well.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I hate the people who aren't aggressive enough.
    Yeah, those are the worst. If I see someone with their blinker on I'll give them room, but the idiots don't take it. Next thing you know someone else is merging into that space from the other side and the idiot who's taking their time almost runs into them. Drivers who aren't assertive enough are freak'n dangerous!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Merging onto the interstate at full speed is a challenge for people for some reason. I'm with you guys. I will add to that though a lot of people can't time it. I look as I'm getting on it. You have to merge. You have to see if you have an idiot that isn't going with the flow. Same goes for people merging in with you. Look. Don't just assume they have a brain.
    Yeah, what I forgot to explain, had he been speeding up there would have been no problem at all getting on for the both of us.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Remember driving in TEXAS, particularly on a two lane “country road” where folks would pull over and drive on the shoulder so you could go around them? Ahhh... the good ‘ole days!

Still happens occasionally, but most often in West Texas.

Top Bottom