Legal question regarding roof gun rack

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by TexasR.N., Dec 4, 2009.

1. TexasR.N.

TexasR.N. Active Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    Howdy all,
    I was wondering what, if any legal issues might be involved with a roof (interior) mounted gun rack. I realize an LEO might not like seeing an AR or any other rifle mounted on the roof of the truck, but is there anything illegal about it?

Thanks,
    Craig

2. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Nope.

Nothing illegal. But it probably won't be the best theft deterrent

3. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Perfectly legal - and many cops (especially game wardens) carry 'em just that way.

4. TexasR.N.

TexasR.N. Active Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    Understood. Guns wouldn't be left in the truck, ie...home to hunting and back....

Cool. Thanks for the replies.

Craig

5. willygene

willygene Active Member

Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    as a fifteen year veteran leo i would rather walk up and see them and know there in the truck than be supprised and yes they are legal.

6. android

android Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Pickup window rack is still legal too. Hardly ever see them anymore though... Kind of sad. I used to know I guy who kept his rifle and a cavalry sword on one. I think it's illegal to carry a sword now.

7. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Biggest issue is the way they install the windows now - it's lots harder to mount 'em without some serious surgery, or else they go in very mickey-mouse.

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Swords are illegal knives, and not lawful to carry on or about your person if you are not on your own premises or premises under your control, or if you are not inside of or directly enroute to a motor vehicle that you own or is under your control.

9. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I got a rifle rack in my dodge farm truck.. I hopefully will get to use it! Whenever I get it to the shop to get it fixed!:banghead:

10. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Most people, me included stopped putting racks in the trucks to lessen the break in probability.

What is a bummer is in my new truck there is no room behind the back seat for a rack, so the shotgun just sits in a open carry bag on the floor.