• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    There was an excellent cafeteria style restaurant in my childhood hometown called Bishop's. When I was a kid, my grandparents would take me there. Luby's was an attempt at nostalgia. Unfortunately, it was just a slap in the face confirming you can never go home again.
    Mine too! Went there as a teen. Nebraska, in the 70's.
    It closed up a long time ago, before the 80's. Sigh...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Salt lick just outside of Austin. I hear people rave about that place, but I didn’t like it one bit. Meat was dry and the sauce didn’t have much flavor to it. What a disappointment.

You sure you went to the right place? That sounds like Bill Miller, not the Salt Lick. I grew up in Driftwood so I know the Salt Lick pretty well.

Maybe the cook knew he was getting fired the next day or something.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Should of at least opened the door & see if it was authentic. I'm sure there's got to be a Mexican or 2 in Scotland. Some of the best Mexican food I've had are in little crappy looking buildings. In Houston I've ate at some sketchy looking taqarias that had some amazing food.
    I had some good Mexican in Milwaukee about 25 years ago. Sketchy part of town and we sat in the "overflow" area which appeared to be pallets they'd placed out back, covered by a large tent and they had propane patio heaters. I can only guess the number of code violations for this place but they had good food and strong drinks.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Should of at least opened the door & see if it was authentic. I'm sure there's got to be a Mexican or 2 in Scotland. Some of the best Mexican food I've had are in little crappy looking buildings. In Houston I've ate at some sketchy looking taqarias that had some amazing food.

From the outside it looked like every other pub on the street, except with tourist sombreros and serapes tacked to the wall. It wasn't promising.

jjkukla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    My mom cooked a pizza on a Weber kettle grill when I was just a little guy. Why she did that, I don't know. And even though she admitted it tasted like burnt dog $hit, she still made us eat it.
    Quite possibly the worst meal I've ever had.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I had some good Mexican in Milwaukee about 25 years ago. Sketchy part of town and we sat in the "overflow" area which appeared to be pallets they'd placed out back, covered by a large tent and they had propane patio heaters. I can only guess the number of code violations for this place but they had good food and strong drinks.
    We ate, once, at a Mexican restaurant in downtown Milwaukee. Like everything else in Wisconsin, there was little flavor. Even their salsa tasted like old cilantro in water with a lot of heat.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    You sure you went to the right place? That sounds like Bill Miller, not the Salt Lick. I grew up in Driftwood so I know the Salt Lick pretty well.

Maybe the cook knew he was getting fired the next day or something.
    It was salt lick…. Maybe I got them on a bad day? Could be, but I won’t be back. We stopped in from Houston based on what we heard.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    It was salt lick…. Maybe I got them on a bad day? Could be, but I won’t be back. We stopped in from Houston based on what we heard.

That's a pity. I've eaten there quite a few times (though it's been a good decade, so things could have nose-dived with all the expansion and with Mrs Robertson being gone) and never had a bad meal. It was sheer torture driving home from high school past the restaurant and smelling that meat cooking over the open fire.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The best Dickey's was in Big Spring. It was ran by a black dude. He kept a really tight ship. You could taste the love for Q in the food there. He suddenly passed away and that place went to absolute shite. Haven't been back.
    As big of a national chain that Dickie's is (over 550 locations)I can't see anything they sell being of anything but a corporate warehouse based thing.

I think I finally crapped the last of that mistake out around 2:18 am.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    One of my best friends was a manager at Lubys about 20 years ago.
    They typically had 4 managers, he was number two, the number one manager made over $200k/yr.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

? Worst ?

I have 2 nominees:

“SONIC” in West Beaumont

”Popeye’s” @ Weslaco

Then there was a little Mexican Cafe in San Diego Texas which literally had pubic hair in the frijoles. . . . . . . . A special category all-time WORST !

leVieux

Top Bottom