Looks like I need a new battery. Recommendations?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Previously in cars I planned to keep a long time, I'd have Interstate batteries and if it was a beater, I'd just get a cheap Autozone/Walmart battery.

This is for a car I plan to keep so I want to get a good battery. What is a good value out there for a quality battery?

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
Lifetime Member
Jul 8, 2012
Central Texas
Carquest has good wet cell batteries.

Personally, I prefer gel cell batteries over wet cells. I haven't heard of a bad gel cell brand yet. Gell cells in general are more durable than wet cells. I have an Optima in my truck right now, but I will probably go with a less expensive brand gel cell next time.

SR9TEX

Sep 23, 2013
Interstate mega-tron hands down the best battery out there.

Had my fair share of other brands and quite a few optima red tops but interstate has out lasted and out preformed any of the previous brands I had.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
Lifetime Member
Jul 8, 2012
Central Texas
Wet cell batteries weakness' are in the water evaporating, drastic temperature differences are tough on them, and they're prone to shock. Gel cell batteries are maintenance free, handle the temperature much more stable, and can take a bit of tossing around (driving off curbs, etc....). I THINK gel cell batteries are good for 5 years vs the wet cells avg lifespan being at 3, but it's been a while since I looked into it.

Vaquero

San Saba Songbird
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
Yeah.
I gotta get a new battery too.
My 9 year old interstate finally bit the dust.
I think I'll get another one.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
May 11, 2009
H-Town, TX
I just replaced the Optima that had been in my truck since 2005. Still started the truck just fine even though it was "bad". Only reason I replaced it was because I was having some issues that I couldn't figure out ... and the battery didn't change that.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
Lifetime Member
Jul 8, 2012
Central Texas
I replaced my first Optima Red top after using it for 6 years. The only reason I replaced it was because it was 6 years old. I've used them on military equipment for years-never had a problem with them. Being the battery guy for the shop, they really made my job easier. lol

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
Jul 16, 2013
Spring TX
Optima is like the Kimber of batteries. Their quality is just not there anymore. They just milk that name...

Look into the DieHard Platinum batteries from Sears. Same technology as the Optimas, but better quality and better warranty. Also, half the price.

Top Bottom