• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Measuring this event from the point that the LEO intervenes misses the concern of the average citizen. Walking with your son down a county road openly carrying a legal weapon should have gotten nothing beyond a wave from any LEO. Why does posting a picture of a son holding a 22LR rifle on facebook bring out child protective services and LEOs? IT IS LEGAL!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    It's only been a couple of weeks ago that my HPD officer brother assured me that this sort of thing couldn't happen in Texas. Our conversation started based on my concern about a traffic stop to and from the range that could escalate to something very uncomfortable simply because we were carrying what one generally carries to a range.

Been there. With a good friend's new husband, who I hardly knew at all. Two white guys with lots of guns driving through the black part of town. Luckily, the cops (well, troopers) were decent guys out training a rookie, not asshats looking to start trouble. They ran my sidearm's serial and our IDs and decided we were good to go.

granite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Why does posting a picture of a son holding a 22LR rifle on facebook bring out child protective services and LEOs? IT IS LEGAL!

It brings them out cause a complaint was registered.

A call to Child Protective Service requires a follow up. Its how the follow up is handled that may be in dispute. My boy went to school with a bruise. A teacher called it in and we got a visit from CPS. They were gone in 20 minutes with "case concluded, no further action needed". It was over. Now, had they not come by and my boy was in the hospital two weeks later the teacher calls the News and says she reported a concern to CPS and noone responded............

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Boy if my teachers had called CPS every time I showed up with a bruise my parents woulda been run ragged.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Boy if my teachers had called CPS every time I showed up with a bruise my parents woulda been run ragged.

Yeah, but nowadays, with helmets and knee pads and wrist guards and bubble wrap, kids shouldn't hurt themselves....
    Bubble-Wrapped-Kid-D-Anschutz-Getty-Images-300x223-250x200.jpg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The instant the officer makes contact, the detainment starts.

That's not true. A Peace Officer can make contact for lots of reasons that don't involve a detention or an arrest. Maybe he wants to say hello, or ask a few questions about something.

The problem in this case, as it seems, is that someone in TX was detained simply for carrying a rifle.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    That's not true. A Peace Officer can make contact for lots of reasons that don't involve a detention or an arrest. Maybe he wants to say hello, or ask a few questions about something.

The problem in this case, as it seems, is that someone in TX was detained simply for carrying a rifle.

The officer did not make contact randomly. It was the result of a (presumably) 911 call. He was detained as result of the person calling the cops. Without hearing that call, we do not know what the officers RS was. But responding to a 911 call is much different than just stopping an random passerbyer.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    But responding to a 911 call is much different than just stopping an random passerbyer.

Maybe, maybe not. If the Officer stopped the man simply because he had a rifle then the Officer was wrong. If there was a legitimate reason that we don't know about, then the Officer was not wrong.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    It brings them out cause a complaint was registered.

A call to Child Protective Service requires a follow up. Its how the follow up is handled that may be in dispute. My boy went to school with a bruise. A teacher called it in and we got a visit from CPS. They were gone in 20 minutes with "case concluded, no further action needed". It was over. Now, had they not come by and my boy was in the hospital two weeks later the teacher calls the News and says she reported a concern to CPS and noone responded............

Actually a call to CPS does not necessarily require a follow up. CPS can admin close cases that appear to be non child abuse.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I'm sure it was nothing illegal or no kind of a set up, just an innocent man minding his own business and the bad police picking on him by answering a 9-1-1 call about a man with a gun who allegedly resisted arrest instead of following instructions...but we won't know until more facts come out.

Let the cop bashing begin! Please somebody tell a story about how they got a ticket for speeding in 1983 or how a mean cop mistreated them whilst they were just hanging out blah blah blah.:confused:

You called that one....

granite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Actually a call to CPS does not necessarily require a follow up. CPS can admin close cases that appear to be non child abuse.

I have no reason to doubt you. I think my underlying point is these people - cps or leo- are darned if they do and darned if they don't. If you point a loaded gun at an officer you go down. Lights out. Yet the parents or community start a riot.

They dont respond to a call of concern of a man with a rifle and bullets fly into a school bus later that day...........

I honestly think this incident happened for a specific reason . Kind of a set up to test a law. Just like my cps issue it could of/ should of been over and done in ten minutes. The officer got the call. He responded to the call. Let him secure the area and proceed with a couple of questions so the rifle can be returned and everyone goes their own way. Why is this not a reasonable outcome? Why risk your job or your chl class.

I was " taught" in my chl class that leo can take your firearm but must return it if you are not arrested. You guys may have other laws or examples that prove otherwise. This is what i was taught. It made sense to me. Thats my stance on the whole issue.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I have no reason to doubt you. I think my underlying point is these people - cps or leo- are darned if they do and darned if they don't. If you point a loaded gun at an officer you go down. Lights out. Yet the parents or community start a riot.

They dont respond to a call of concern of a man with a rifle and bullets fly into a school bus later that day...........

I honestly think this incident happened for a specific reason . Kind of a set up to test a law. Just like my cps issue it could of/ should of been over and done in ten minutes. The officer got the call. He responded to the call. Let him secure the area and proceed with a couple of questions so the rifle can be returned and everyone goes their own way. Why is this not a reasonable outcome? Why risk your job or your chl class.

I was " taught" in my chl class that leo can take your firearm but must return it if you are not arrested. You guys may have other laws or examples that prove otherwise. This is what i was taught. It made sense to me. Thats my stance on the whole issue.

I agree 110.5 %

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    That guy will never see his property ever again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom