• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I once worked at a regional air traffic control center. (not as a controller) Talk about a bunch of people about to pop. Most leftest bunch ever. They live for their union. I used to ask them if it was the same union that got them all fired by Reagan?
    If they are anti vax the vax must be bad, cause they care about nothing but themselves.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Most were almost immediately hired back as there was no one to replace them

Nope. Reagan banned their rehiring. They lost their jobs and lost their union. Most were definitely NOT rehired as there was an ATC shortage well into the Bush administration. Clinton reversed the rehiring freeze in 1993, 12 years later.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    My wife knew nothing about what’s going on in Australia. She didn’t know about the FJB chant at the sporting venues, and $20 says if I ask her, she won’t know anything about the ATC walkout either. The media should be ashamed of themselves.
    Whelp, I went against my better judgement and asked Mrs Grumps21 if she heard about the walkout. The reply? No

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I saw the news about it posted by Robby Starbuck this morning on Instagram. He's got a good head on his shoulders, and I hope is successful with his run at Congress in 2022. Wish there were more candidates like him.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think the VivaBarnesLaw Sunday podcast had something on this tonite. I was skipping over stuff so I'm not sure. Did anybody see it?

ETA: Found it.

Southwest pilots have filed suit against the airline seeking a temporary restraining order in a Dallas federal court for violations of the Railroad Labor Act as it relates to the vaccine mandate, an imposed condition of employment that doesn't align with previous negotiations. Sick-outs are definitely happening. Fascinating info on the situation in this video, starting at ~21.20.

Last edited:

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    This morning the total for Southwest was reported as 2,000 cancellations but they are claiming it had nothing to do with a pilot walkout...sure!

Yep, and an aviation forum I'm on locked the topic because it was getting too political, even though a massive slowdown could definitely affect us in the aviation industry.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yep, and an aviation forum I'm on locked the topic because it was getting too political, even though a massive slowdown could definitely affect us in the aviation industry.

You fly large passenger jets or charter aircraft? Do you think there's going to be an uptick in people chartering smaller craft, if the larger jets keep getting grounded, or the costs soar over these issues?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    You fly large passenger jets or charter aircraft? Do you think there's going to be an uptick in people chartering smaller craft, if the larger jets keep getting grounded, or the costs soar over these issues?

The people the can afford to do that already have. To give you an idea, here’s one company’s empty leg rates for various types and legs.
    93c945f1f2bb23d4721e770ba9cc7045.jpg

There’s seemingly an uptick in plane ownership and new pilots over the last 18 months as well. In my neck of the woods there’s quite a few 4 or 5 person partnerships forming for a particular plane (Cirrus SR20) that can do SAT to DFW in 2-3 hrs. New, those planes run $700K+ and used I’m seeing them at $300K-$400K. Operating costs are what eat you up starting at about $180/hr. When it comes time for a motor overhaul you’re looking at $30K+ for the small motor and $45K+ for the big motor.

I fly about the cheapest I can in a 12-person partnership. Our plane can do SAT to COS (where I’m at now) in about 6hrs with one stop on about 65gals of gas at $4-$6/gal. That’s one way. Call it 125 gallons total $650 for gas and $65/hr maintenance reserve is about $700 as well, so $1300 to make the flight. Or $68 each way per person on SWA in four hours including layover. Since it’s two of us, that works out to $650 per in our plane or $275 total on SWA.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I swear we are seeing the largest misinformation campaign being run in history right now.

I remember when ATC went on strike. Reagan fired over 11,000 of them. They are not as irreplaceable as they think they are.

The sticking point is that Biden ran extensively on his strong pro-union reputation. To turn around and fire a bunch of ATCs would be on more arrow to his side from his labor support.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Neither, but I work pretty closely with ATC doing what I do, and if they end up getting short-staffed with massive traffic buildups, it's going to be interesting, to say the least.

Top Bottom