• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    If you go back and read, you will find my post was in response to someone talking about the other officers standing back.

But put that aside. Speaking up could get you arrested, harassed, etc. On the other hand, standing by and doing nothing in that situation could haunt a person for life.
    Problem is that FOR LIFE could be VERY SHORT.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    If the Sheriff Deputies present were unable to stop the incident, I don't believe the average person would have been more successful. Was the lack of action by the Deputies cowardly? The Ambulance crew and other officers at the scene chose not to intervene.
    Wouldn’t the sheriffs deputies have rank over city police? Serious question…

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Wouldn’t the sheriffs deputies have rank over city police? Serious question…
    They, in Texas at least, are totally independent from each other.

Jurisdiction overlaps, but chain of command does not, however if I observed other officers or deputies acting in an obvious crime such as this, I would do anything required to immediately stop it without regard to consequences. I will stop short of saying a person as a civilian (non-sworn citizen) would be a coward for not taking action it what would likely be a battle that would likely have little impact in the final outcome and expose them to great risk a peace officer has a sworn duty to act to stop such action. I can easily envision deadly force would be required to stop a group acting in such a manner as seen in the video.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Change that word to unwilling and see where it gets you.
    The Deputies will be explaining their actions in investigations during the next few days.

This incident should have never taken place, the victim's family, citizens and law enforcement are all affected the poor decisions of a few officers. Fortunately this hasn't resulted in violent actions taking place over the weekend.

Last edited:

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    They, in Texas at least, are totally independent from each other.

Jurisdiction overlaps, but chain of command does not, however if I observed other officers or deputies acting in an obvious crime such as this, I would do anything required to immediately stop it without regard to consequences. I will stop short of saying a person as a civilian (non-sworn citizen) would be a coward for not taking action it what would likely be a battle that would likely have little impact in the final outcome and expose them to great risk a peace officer has a sworn duty to act to stop such action. I can easily envision deadly force would be required to stop a group acting in such a manner as seen in the video.

Serious question…..I thought I had read that the SCOTUS ruled that a LEO did not have a duty to stop such behavior.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Serious question…..I thought I had read that the SCOTUS ruled that a LEO did not have a duty to stop such behavior.
    Several things compel an officer to act to stop.

Texas Code of Criminal Procedure confers the duty to all Peace Officers to stop criminal behavior.

Second, The 4th amendment prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures. A person is "seized" when they voluntarily yield to a display of authority (lights or siren, "stop police" etc) or when force is intentionally applied (grabbed, punched, shot or parking a semi across the road so the evading drives crashes).

SCOTUS ruled police have no federal requirement to protect a person from their own decisions (entering a disaster area), but I absolutely have a duty to stop someone's civil rights from being violated from clearly unreasonable force which would also be a serious crime in Texas.

I enjoy answering questions like this to the best of my ability.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Several things compel an officer to act to stop.

Texas Code of Criminal Procedure confers the duty to all Peace Officers to stop criminal behavior.

Second, The 4th amendment prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures. A person is "seized" when they voluntarily yield to a display of authority (lights or siren, "stop police" etc) or when force is intentionally applied (grabbed, punched, shot or parking a semi across the road so the evading drives crashes).

SCOTUS ruled police have no federal requirement to protect a person from their own decisions (entering a disaster area), but I absolutely have a duty to stop someone's civil rights from being violated from clearly unreasonable force which would also be a serious crime in Texas.

I enjoy answering questions like this to the best of my ability.

Thanks

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I personally would not physically interfere with LEO.

40 years ago I watched two brothers fight at their repair shop. My buddy went over to separate them. They both turned on him and beat him 'till he retreated, then continued to battle each other.

'nuff said.

Counterpoint. If I’m watching a group of LEOs wailing on my son who’s a currently serving active duty Infantry officer and the only probably cause for the stop was an unsafe lane change that results in him being yanked out of the vehicle and getting wailed on by five LEOs, I’d likely decide to get involved.

The likelihood of either event occurring randomly is low, but not zero.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Counterpoint. If I’m watching a group of LEOs wailing on my son who’s a currently serving active duty Infantry officer and the only probably cause for the stop was an unsafe lane change that results in him being yanked out of the vehicle and getting wailed on by five LEOs, I’d likely decide to get involved.

Your son = likely no hesitation on your part whatsoever.

And if it were a complete stranger?

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.

A freind or family member is a 'WHOLE NUTHER MATTER'!

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    name dates and incidents where violent rioters were shot!
    Civil war recruitment in NYC, grapeshot released on 'objectors'. Bloody Kansas Gov. elections and illegal overtaken offices.
    Gotcha!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Your son = likely no hesitation on your part whatsoever.

And if it were a complete stranger?

Too much depends. Situational awareness and being able to successfully defend your actions at trial are critical if one chose to go down that path.

From a statutory perspective, in Texas one would have to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the LEOs actions were unlawful to take advantage of TPC 9.32 justifications. That’s a mountain to climb given the discretion and authorities the state of Texas extends to on duty licensed peace officers operating within their jurisdiction.

Top Bottom