• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Laws like this are why some people avoid getting treatment for conditions that they might need to get treatment for because they don’t want a record somewhere to follow them. And this proves them right.

I find learning more about this law really discouraging.

Most doctors are not going to put themselves out on a limb and give someone an all clear for mental health as it relates to firearms. They don’t like being asked to predict the future, it leaves too much ass uncovered.
    Gun Zone Deals

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I just purchased my girlfriend and I a handgun. I did it legally and the background check came back okay. But I was reading on Texas LTC requirements it says that if you were involuntary committed to psychiatric hospital and psychiatric hospital. I was voluntarily admitted to a behavioral health unit. When I was maybe 15, I was diagnosed with PTSD and Anxiety. I am wondering if I would have to disclose that or sense I was a minor and it was over 5 years at this point I would be okay to say no and just go through with it. I have been off of medication for at least 3 years if not 4. I am totally okay with going and getting a letter stating it is in remission and it should not come back. I also said no on the question in the background check where it asks if I was ever admitted to one due to a judge. Hopefully that was the right thing to do.
    What title / position did the person that diagnosed you hold?

Also, I’m not a licensed physician, yet I provide psychiatric diagnoses.

So, I am curious, if this law does only apply to those with diagnoses provided by licensed doctors (physician)?

. . .
    Mine was 100% done by me and my mom and there was a social worker there. But I believe that is standard protocol. I am happy to go and get a letter if that is what I need to do.
    That conflicts with your previous statement, care to clarify?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Laws like this are why some people avoid getting treatment for conditions that they might need to get treatment for because they don’t want a record somewhere to follow them. And this proves them right.

Most doctors are not going to put themselves out on a limb and give someone an all clear for mental health as it relates to firearms. They don’t like being asked to predict the future, it leaves too much ass uncovered.
    So just let all the nutbags have guns?

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I just purchased my girlfriend and I a handgun. I did it legally and the background check came back okay. But I was reading on Texas LTC requirements it says that if you were involuntary committed to psychiatric hospital and psychiatric hospital. I was voluntarily admitted to a behavioral health unit. When I was maybe 15, I was diagnosed with PTSD and Anxiety. I am wondering if I would have to disclose that or sense I was a minor and it was over 5 years at this point I would be okay to say no and just go through with it. I have been off of medication for at least 3 years if not 4. I am totally okay with going and getting a letter stating it is in remission and it should not come back. I also said no on the question in the background check where it asks if I was ever admitted to one due to a judge. Hopefully that was the right thing to do.
    to be prohibited from owning a firearm you have to actually be committed by a court, simply being treated voluntarily or involuntarily in an inpatient setting isnt what that set of laws refer to, but LTC is another beast... best get the letters

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    So just let all the nutbags have guns?
    4473 lets virtually any nutbag unless someone’s been involuntarily committed (adjudicated mental defective is very rare) buy guns legally anyways.

LTC just gives permission for guns legally be carried.

Let’s be honest, not having an LTC isn’t ACTUALLY preventing a nutbag who has bought a gun legally (private or 4473) from carrying, right? As in if you are really clinically insane, would you really care about “getting permission” to carry?

I think the LTC criteria should be adjudicated mental defective as well, not the criteria that written in the LTC law that was linked.

Diagnoses expire and doctors aren’t gonna be keen to put a seal of approval on firearm carry, that’s NOT their area of expertise. It’s giving them power they don’t deserve. Predicting violence or GOING off, mentally is NOT something a doctor is going to pretend they have a crystal ball for.

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    to be prohi ited fromnowning a firearm you have to actually be committed by a court, simply being treated voluntarily or involuntarily in an inpatient setting isnt what that set of laws refer to, but LTC is another beast... best get the letters

According to the LTC law link listed apparently that’s incorrect. Specific diagnoses are mentioned.

Edit: cycleguy... your post looked different with less info when I see it in the thread, then when I quote it, that last part of your point pops up. I swear, that last part after the “but” isn’t there until I quoted it.

I’m really confused by that. So weird.

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    You are not paying for insurance and they can't call it that. If they called it insurance I'm sure the State Board of Insurance would have a word or 2 for them. They have to be licensed to sell insurance.

You are paying a retainer for a law firm to be on call.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think the LTC criteria should be adjudicated mental defective as well, not the criteria that written in the LTC law that was linked.
    Agreed.

To push this a bit further, it's entirely possible to be diagnosed with a disqualifying condition and not even know about it. How many times has an endocrinologist noted in the history of a non-compliant, out of control Type 2 diabetic that they are suffering from depression? The endo can't treat it and probably won't even talk about it but they're perfectly willing to write it down. The definition of disqualifying conditions includes conditions that impact mood.

Now, when you read further, the evidence required to deny someone based on a disqualifying condition is much higher than that. Still, I don't like the idea of there being such a wide-ranging definition of disqualifying conditions.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    From the Texas Law Shield Website:

All legal services are provided by independent third party program attorneys. U.S. & Texas LawShield are not law firms but legal services companies or similar entities regulated under state law, which provide benefits and coverage for their members. U.S. LawShield is underwritten by Fortegra Companies in many states. Fortegra Companies are rated A- (Excellent) for financial strength and operating performance by A.M. Best. In these states, all of our products are underwritten by one of the following Fortegra companies, depending on the state: Lyndon Southern Insurance Company, Response Indemnity Company of California, Blue Ridge Indemnity Company and Insurance Company of the South. 100% of the insurance administration, technology, and customer service is provided here, in the USA for U.S. & Texas LawShield.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Agreed.

To push this a bit further, it's entirely possible to be diagnosed with a disqualifying condition and not even know about it. How many times has an endocrinologist noted in the history of a non-compliant, out of control Type 2 diabetic that they are suffering from depression? The endo can't treat it and probably won't even talk about it but they're perfectly willing to write it down. The definition of disqualifying conditions includes conditions that impact mood.

Now, when you read further, the evidence required to deny someone based on a disqualifying condition is much higher than that. Still, I don't like the idea of there being such a wide-ranging definition of disqualifying conditions.

I think it stigmatizes seeking diagnosis and treatment for mental health problems and sets up a guilty until proven innocent vibe that COMPLETELY rubs me the wrong way.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Works a little differently than insurance. A technicality , but still different in the legal sense. More like a medical savings account( best analogy I could think of)

A little differently but it's fair IMO to call it insurance. Medical savings account won't cover the full cost of your treatment once the account runs dry IIRC. And, like insurance, you are eligible for full benefits after your first payment.

The legal insurance works just like car insurance. Pay a small premium, probably never need it, if you do the full cost of repairs is covered (assuming 0 deductible). The actual cost is covered by all the members who never need to use the service. It is not a retainer.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    From the Texas Law Shield Website:

All legal services are provided by independent third party program attorneys. U.S. & Texas LawShield are not law firms but legal services companies or similar entities regulated under state law, which provide benefits and coverage for their members. U.S. LawShield is underwritten by Fortegra Companies in many states. Fortegra Companies are rated A- (Excellent) for financial strength and operating performance by A.M. Best. In these states, all of our products are underwritten by one of the following Fortegra companies, depending on the state: Lyndon Southern Insurance Company, Response Indemnity Company of California, Blue Ridge Indemnity Company and Insurance Company of the South. 100% of the insurance administration, technology, and customer service is provided here, in the USA for U.S. & Texas LawShield.

LOL. So they are literally selling insurance.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    According to the LTC law link listed apparently that’s incorrect. Specific diagnoses are mentioned.

Edit: cycleguy... your post looked different with less info when I see it in the thread, then when I quote it, that last part of your point pops up. I swear, that last part after the “but” isn’t there until I quoted it.

I’m really confused by that. So weird.
    Hmm, wierd

Rattlesnake911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2019
    DFW Tx
    What title / position did the person that diagnosed you hold?

That conflicts with your previous statement, care to clarify?
    They were a psychiatrist.

What I was meaning by 100% was me being committed was up to my self and my mom because of my age. But there was a social worker with like family services there and went over the behavioral health units that had beds available but they also gave me the option to just go home. But me and my mom choose to put me in.

Rattlesnake911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2019
    DFW Tx

I agree. I wish there was a way to actually talk to someone like a personal case worker to get your LTC. That way they can make more of a better decision.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    They were a psychiatrist.

What I was meaning by 100% was me being committed was up to my self and my mom because of my age. But there was a social worker with like family services there and went over the behavioral health units that had beds available but they also gave me the option to just go home. But me and my mom choose to put me in.
    You were “admitted” not committed. The way professionals use the word “committed” implies non-voluntary.

I’m sorry that trying to understand exactly how all this works is kinda stressful. I think that our laws should be more cut and dried and simpler, and less restrictive.

Top Bottom