• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I use a 30-06 for longer shots on bigger game. Pigs I'll use what ever AR, 06, shotgun or the mouser just whatever I have at the time. But for most hunting I use the 06 over the 223

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    To the OP, if you haven't you should take your Mosin to the range, most of em shoot about 8 to 10 inches high at 100 yards with the stock sights.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    I'll do that. I've only shot it out to about 40-50 yards before, off han and was able to pop a beer bottle in the 3rd shot.
    I just need to find a scope mount and see what it can do.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    At 200-250 yards?

At that distance I would grab my .308. My AR is a 1:7 20"... I would be comfortable hunting out to absolutely no further than 125 yards with it and the right ammo of course.. (was there a defined range being talked about? If there was and I missed it, sorry)

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Ok here is the skinny on aoudad, they are just a big sheep. I have seen them taken with 243 often. With the smaller calibers they go down, just sometimes they don’t go down cleanly (just like deer). AND don’t trust the hype on the copper goodness of Barnes bullets....

With good shot placement I have never seen one run far when hit with a 270 or greater. The mosin will do it in spades, even with irons, just use quality ammo and practice before you go.

If you need a scope or not is dependent on the land you are going to hunt, if it is in the hill country or has dense brush, you might not even be able to spot them at over 100 yards, they are sneaky and quiet most of the time, the rest of the time they are noisy and reckless. If you are going to some place that has been cleared of brush then the scope might be needed.

Good Hunting!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    At that distance I would grab my .308. My AR is a 1:7 20"... I would be comfortable hunting out to absolutely no further than 125 yards with it and the right ammo of course.. (was there a defined range being talked about? If there was and I missed it, sorry)

I was going off the concerns of the OP in post #8.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I shot a WT doe at 190 yds with my AR.

I likely would not try it on that on a sheep though. Echo the 06 sentiment.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Everyone assumes I have an AR......

Some of the folks on this forum don't realize that there is any rifle in existence other than an AR. It's 'all black rifles, all the time', here at TGT.
    Your Mosin will be more than adequate for Aoudad in terms of caliber. The accuracy is up to you.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My first WT was also killed right at the 190yd. mark with a .222.

Maybe the place putting on the hunt has guns for their customers to use, might be worth a "shot".

Taurian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Kingwood
    I have never had a problem using a .30-06, fine gun and will take one down. Have even killed a few mule deer with it.
    Good Luck and have a blast!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I forgot to add that there is also the 7mm-08. That should do it. As far as a quick cheap rifle there are the Marlin has a bolt action out that OS sub moa for under 400. There is also the Stevens model 200. Those are just savage 100/110 with a different stamp.

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

Top Bottom