• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Actually, I appreciate a LEO going the "extra mile" to double-check. If the DA's wrong, he'll tell him. If there's something to the DA's stance, wouldn't you rather find out NOW, rather than on a traffic stop???
    It was this LEO who started the mess, by sticking his nose into an issue that is none of his business. I bet he gave the DA incomplete or misleading information.

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Sorry - doesn't fly in my book. Since fewer have 'em, less staff is needed - LOTS less.

aefd59b6-4079-b2ff.jpg

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I didnt get a Texas CHL for the same reason i stopped persuing a TECLOSE cert. As a vet, that at the time had just gotten out of the military, they wanted me to spend way too much money. They wanted me to pay out of pocket for pysc evals from state shrinks and would not accept the discharge eval the military preformed. But now that the policy is no longer there yes I am looking at getting my Texas as well.
    You stopped pursuing a TCLEOSE certification because you had to take a psych evaluation???? The stuff military doctors are looking for and the stuff docs doing TCLEOSE evals are looking for are 2 different animals.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    New Hampshire, Minnesota, Vermont and West Virginia are others.

edited to add, further communication from the Deputy, he is busting his A$$ trying to sort this out. Regarding the letter mentioned in the other thread, their issue is that the citizen did not state that he is a resident of Texas.

More to follow....................

In the other letter DPS correctly states that an AZ non resident permit is valid in Texas. Not sure why they think the addresses have to match, but whatever.
    HERES MY ANSWER FROM DPS.

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for giving the Department the opportunity to respond to your email question regarding a Texas Concealed Handgun license.

Your Arizona gun permit is valid so long as the address on it matches the address printed on your Texas driver’s license.

Should you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please contact Concealed Handgun Licensing Customer Relations at RSD_Customer_Relations@txdps.state.tx.us or 1-512-424-7293.

Best regards,
    Concealed Handgun Program
    Customer Relations Section

GetInline.aspx

Texas Department of Public Safety
    Regulatory Services Division
    Phone: (800) 224-5744
    Website: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/custRelations.htm

AGENCY CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission is confidential, may be privileged, and should be read or retained only by the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender, destroy all electronic and non-electronic copies, and delete it from your system.

Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:20 PM
    To: RSD_Customer_Relations
    Subject: Texas resident with AZ CHL

If I'm a Texas resident, and I recieve my Arizona CHL, can I carry here in Texas with it? I've read conflicting stories about this. I guess my question is, if I get pulled over and I'm carrying concealed with my AZ CHL, and I produce my TEXAS ID and AZ CHL to the Officer will I be fine? Or do I need an AZ ID to go with it? (This is all without having a Texas CHL)

Thanks

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'm sorry, I'm talking out of my ass. I meant the a renewal class is $50. Completely forgot about the freakin State.

Hell, no harm - no foul. There's SO many different things that go on, sometimes I just figger I should mail my bank account to some governmental agency an' ask 'em ta send back what's left!

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    You stopped pursuing a TCLEOSE certification because you had to take a psych evaluation???? The stuff military doctors are looking for and the stuff docs doing TCLEOSE evals are looking for are 2 different animals.

I knew there was going to be one when i started to take the classes, but half way through they told me that as a vet i would be required to get 3 others all out of pocket to make sure that the military didnt cause me any mental problems. If it was the one that is required of everybody i wouldnt have had a problem. but when they wanted me to pay for 3 others is where i had the problem.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ok, follow up. I just had a long conversation with the Deputy. Real nice guy, and very interested in getting this resolved. He mentioned that he did talk to the Montgomery county DA, and that the DA would accept charges if a Texas resident, possessing a AZ out of state CHL only, were stopped.

He also brought to my attention he conducting further investigation of this.

There also seems to be issues with those that can hold CHLs in Texas regarding child support payments, college tuition loans and other items that AZ does not check on, which may make the license invalid.

I am interested in how this effects my own FL CHL, and others.

We are exchanging emails, and he is going to keep me posted as to what his investigation finds out further.

DA needs a new job, because if he thinks this is illegal, he's completely incompetent. The deputy is absolutely wrong, too.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I think the majority of states are eventually going to do what Utah has done. In order to get a Utah non-resident CWP you have to have a valid chl from the state you reside in.

Why wouldn't a Texas resident want to get a Texas CHL anyway, and just get a non-resident somwhere else to supplement it?

According to the Instructors course this week, this is going to be the standard DPS is striving for on the CHL program. Must have instate CHL to get a non resident just as was done in Utah. Nothing official or any dates set as of yet, but the Troopers running the CHL training specifically mentioned it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That just screws over people that live in crappy states like California, though. It also screws the issuing states out of revenue. I don't see any reason to do it.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    **My bad, didn't know my letter was posted already.** AND YES I CLEARLY SAID "IF I'M A TEXAS RESIDENT..."

Here is the answer I got DIRECT from TEXAS DPS regarding this issue before I went ahead and got my AZ CCW:

-----Original Message-----

From: "RSD_Customer_Relations" <RSD_Customer_Relations@dps.texas.gov>
    Sent: July 27, 2011 7/27/11
    To:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: RE: Texas resident with AZ CHL

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for giving the Department the opportunity to respond to your email question regarding a Texas Concealed Handgun license.

Your Arizona gun permit is valid so long as the address on it matches the address printed on your Texas driver's license.

Should you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please contact Concealed Handgun Licensing Customer Relations at RSD_Customer_Relations@txdps.state.tx.us or 1-512-424-7293.

Best regards,

Concealed Handgun Program

Customer Relations Section

Texas Department of Public Safety

Regulatory Services Division

Phone: (800) 224-5744

Website: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/custRelations.htm

AGENCY CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission is confidential, may be privileged, and should be read or retained only by the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender, destroy all electronic and non-electronic copies, and delete it from your system.

Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:20 PM
    To: RSD_Customer_Relations
    Subject: Texas resident with AZ CHL

If I'm a Texas resident, and I recieve my Arizona CHL, can I carry here in Texas with it? I've read conflicting stories about this. I guess my question is, if I get pulled over and I'm carrying concealed with my AZ CHL, and I produce my TEXAS ID and AZ CHL to the Officer will I be fine? Or do I need an AZ ID to go with it? (This is all without having a Texas CHL)

Thanks

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    That just screws over people that live in crappy states like California, though. It also screws the issuing states out of revenue. I don't see any reason to do it.

The reasoning behind it was DPS knows people are circumventing the requirements to get a Texas CHL, by going around and getting the Florida or Arizona permit. Also and this was purely OPINION of the instructors was the reasoning IF a non-resident permit holder used deadly force the prosecuter would use that against them. Again this was just opinion and not fact.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    espy59lc that looks like the exact same letter that Bithabus sent me earlier in this thread, and I have forwarded that to the officer. I feel it is a combination of both the officer and the DA that does not like this. While the officer is trying to sort it out, I believe that he is opposed to it being allowed to happen.

Hopefully we can make some positive movement here, and avoid any person traveling through The Woodlands, Conroe, etc from having an issue.

Top Bottom