• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Well I got 3 e-mails today from the Attorney General's Office. My e-mail to them basically explained the situation (short quick bullet points outlining the issues) and a link to this site and sent them of course the e-mails between myself and Mr. Stitt and between myself and DPS.

First E-mail was not from the AG himself:

[h=3]Re: Problems with Deputy Constable Montgomery County and CHL Reciprocity Laws[/h] Hide Details
    TO:
    Message flagged
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:17 PM

Dear Mr. Espinoza:

Thank you for your recent email. We appreciate your contacting the Office of the Attorney General of Texas.

Please understand that under Texas law the Office of the Attorney General of Texas is prohibited from providing legal advice, interpretations of the law or representation to private individuals.

You may wish to report this to the county judge and county commissioners, who have limited oversight over constables. To obtain their names and telephone numbers, you can call your county courthouse.

At the present time, the state of Texas only recognizes valid concealed handgun permits from the following states:

Alabama
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Arkansas
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Iowa

Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Utah
    Virginia
    Washington
    Wyoming

States on the above list that do not recognize valid concealed handgun permits issued by Texas are:
    California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Washington. Also, please note that only permanent, state-issued Connecticut permits are honored by the state of Texas. Temporary paper permits issued by local Connecticut authorities, known as "60-day" permits, do NOT meet the requirements of Texas law.

The Texas Department of Public Safety maintains a listing of states on their website with which Texas has established hand gun licensing reciprocity. You can access this page at www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/reciprocity.htm.

You may wish to discuss your legal remedies in this matter with a private attorney. The Lawyer Referral Service of the State Bar of Texas can assist you in contacting an attorney in Texas with relevant expertise. The Lawyer Referral Service can be reached at (800) 252-9690 or (512) 463-1463.

Again, thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

Donna K. Lee
    Public Information & Assistance Division
    Office of the Attorney General of Texas

2nd E-mail:

[h=3]Re: Problems with Deputy Constable Montgomery County and CHL Reciprocity Laws[/h] Hide Details
    TO:
    CC:
    Message flagged
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:46 PM

Mr. Espinoza, the Office of the Attorney General does not have oversight over Constables. Complaints against peace officers in Texas can be made to the head of the agency where he is employed, in this case, elected Constable Tim Holifield. The website to obtain contact information for Montgomery County Constables is Constables.

3rd e-mail:

TO:
    CC:
    Message flagged
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:47 PM

I am sorry, I left off my contact information.

Captain Gregory Lucas
    Office of the Attorney General
    Criminal Investigation Division
    Office (512) 936-1335
    Cell (512) 652-8426
    FAX (512) 370-9948

So all in all, not too much from them. I sent the same e-mail I sent to the AG to the TSRA Executive, NRA, DA of Montgomery County. AG Office is the only one who I've heard back from as of today.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    <Sigh>...this isn't dramatic? Really?

I don't think so, but for the sake of concentrating on the task at hand I'd rather we not make a big fuss over it. Anyone is free to disagree, but let's please focus our efforts at thwarting our common enemy.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Regarding the response from AG-

Makes you wonder what the Hell we pay them for. They won't give an answer and it looks like unless it goes to SC we won't know for sure. There's no way to win. Don't you just love the stranglehold of bureaucracy???

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Regarding the response from AG-

Makes you wonder what the Hell we pay them for. They won't give an answer and it looks like unless it goes to SC we won't know for sure. There's no way to win. Don't you just love the stranglehold of bureaucracy???
    C'mon student of the law....read what was written. the AG said they dont offer legal interpretation to private individuals. That is the job of private attornies. They would give a DA or a city or county an opinion.

No "stranglehold of bureaucracy" here. (Although that phrase would fit into my "dramatic flair" catagory)

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The AG just said Texas recognizes the AZ permit....nothing about residency. Again, the DEPUTY Constable is completely incorrect about his interpretation of the law.
    Exactly. Because, according to Texas law, there is no distinction between an AZ resident permit and a non resident permit. The Deputy invented a law (the law Burnam wanted to create last session) because he read an inaccurate blurb on the DPS website and was fueled by his prejudices.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Texan2
    The AG just said Texas recognizes the AZ permit....nothing about residency. Again, the DEPUTY Constable is completely incorrect about his interpretation of the law.

But really how much is this going to matter when he or one of his associates, who have been told this interpretation, and an ADA who is willing to accept charges cuffs you and takes you to jail. You may end up beating the charge, and completely clearing yourself but at what cost? How much time would you have sitting under arrest while being processed? Worse you may have to take a plea bargain due to financial limitations. You got a LEO, a DA that believes this to be a crime, is it that hard to think that they might convince a judge or jury it is also??

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    But really how much is this going to matter when he or one of his associates, who have been told this interpretation, and an ADA who is willing to accept charges cuffs you and takes you to jail. You may end up beating the charge, and completely clearing yourself but at what cost? How much time would you have sitting under arrest while being processed? Worse you may have to take a plea bargain due to financial limitations. You got a LEO, a DA that believes this to be a crime, is it that hard to think that they might convince a judge or jury it is also??

We don't know that the DA shares the Deputy's ignorance. I find it hard to believe that he does.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    We don't know that the DA shares the Deputy's ignorance. I find it hard to believe that he does.

Bithabus,
    Hopefully your are correct. However does the DA get all the questions regarding charging someone, or does he allow his ADA's to make some of those decisions? Evenings, weekends, holidays is he on call 100% of the time for every person arrested in his jurisdiction?

According to the email received from them by espy59lc some of them would.
    The District Attorney of this County have made the determination and will accept criminal charges. According to ADA Jeridith Jones and doubled confirmed by ADA Mike Shirley.

You might beat the rap, you will not beat the ride.....

I am trying desperately to avoid the ride (or possibility of such a ride) for me or someone else.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Bithabus,
    Hopefully your are correct. However does the DA get all the questions regarding charging someone, or does he allow his ADA's to make some of those decisions? Evenings, weekends, holidays is he on call 100% of the time for every person arrested in his jurisdiction?

According to the email received from them by espy59lc some of them would.

You might beat the rap, you will not beat the ride.....

Trying desperately to avoid the ride (or possibility of such a ride).

I know. It just seems crazy to me. And, honestly, I don't trust anything this Deputy says.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I agree with Acera, no one should have to go through the hassle, thats why I suggested blowing up the emails of those who have some control (or should) of this guy. It seems like something that the TSRA or NRA would love to jump all over.

He needs to be reigned in BEFORE he exacts his own brand of justice on an innocent person.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Getting ready to walk out the door for a little bit, but if someone could get me the Counties Judge, Constable, and whomever else you guys think need to know, I will forward my e-mail to them as well. Either post it here or PM me their e-mails and I'll send them a message when I get back home.

Have not heard back from anyone other than AG on this matter yet...Maybe they are busying dealing with other illegal arrests? haha j/k

Those I have not heard back from:

District Attorney for Montgomery County
    Texas Rangers
    TSRA
    NRA

Maybe if more people e-mail? Maybe then it will get a response? IDK

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It seems like something that the TSRA or NRA would love to jump all over.
    I dunno... I'd bet a dollar the TSRA would side with the deputy. I get the feeling they are part of the "If you don't have a TX CHL, then you're wrong!" crowd. More than likely they'll just stay silent on this one.

The NRA usually stays out of small fry stuff like this.

Havoc70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    California
    Part of it is cost. IMO, Texas is stupid-high on their CHL's, especially renewals.

Not compared to California:

Payment to county sheriff's office for application: $103
    Payment to county sheriff's office for Live Scan: $95
    Payment for instruction: $150
    Total for new permit: $348

Renewal Fee: $25 -ish
    Renewal training: $150
    Total for renewal: $175

Also, CA licenses are only good for two years.

Top Bottom