• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I didn't have the greatest luck with the R50 last month, but I recently grabbed a few bricks of wolf match extra to try out. From my research the wolf, SK and lapua are all just batch tested then categorized/branded by the same manufacturer in Germany. Supposedly the wolf match extra tests slightly better than the match target. Which are the equivalents of SK standard and standard plus. The Lapua tests even better than either and so on. Hopefully it gives me the slight edge I'll need to improve my scores. Maybe we will all get lucky and see temperatures below 100 this month, a little less sweat in my eyes always helps my precision shooting. Good luck gentlemen.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I didn't have the greatest luck with the R50 last month, but I recently grabbed a few bricks of wolf match extra to try out.
    Can you recommend a source for the Wolf Match Extra? I just got off the phone with the CMP, and it looks like I may actually be getting a Kimber M82G. From what I read, the 82G's tend to prefer that ammunition.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Can you recommend a source for the Wolf Match Extra? I just got off the phone with the CMP, and it looks like I may actually be getting a Kimber M82G. From what I read, the 82G's tend to prefer that ammunition.

I don't have extra, but I might have a few boxes target i could let go of.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I don't have extra, but I might have a few boxes target i could let go of.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I appreciate the offer, and if I can't find a source between now and when I'm ready to go to the range, I'll PM you. Rockdale isn't that far from Hutto, and I'd be happy to make the drive.
    My understanding is that in the best case, I'll have some work ahead of me with a complete cleaning and bolt disassembly/cleaning when the rifle is delivered. After that, there may be other issues, recrowning, possibly even cutting 1/2 to 3/4's of an inch off the barrel. I'm hoping for a good shooter, right out of the box, though.
    Again, I thank you.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Quality target .22 has been and pretty much will always be a premium. I don't like it, but with target ammo you're probably going to shoot less, and if you have a nice rifle, why handicap it with plinking stuff. There is a place for bulk brick .22 at <$25 but that won't satisfy those that enjoy seeing ragged holes.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The best source for wolf and other premium 22 LR ammo has got to be champion shooters supply. There aren't gougers and they are very fair about their box/case limits when products get scarce. Get on their email list, they always sell out fast. Right now they are out of both Wolf MT and ME and have only a few types of SK in stock. SK standard= wolf mt SK rifle match = wolf me. Same stuff different boxes. Last time I got some match extra, it was less than $8 per 50 which was less than most folks were asking for Wolf MT.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    It's overall consistency and performance in all action types of 22s make it popular. It is made by SK in Germany and batch tested then sorted into categories. It is a very scientific processes and even the cheapest grade(Wolf MT) outperforms Eley,RWS and other high end brands on a regular basis. I use it for the TGT RFC and typically score in the high 90s on every target I shoot. Very few types of ammo have so little deviation from shot to shot. I honestly think you would never have a snow balls chance in hell of hitting a 100 score with any bulk ammo out there.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Ah... Guess I know what I'll be buying once I'm able to get into the competition, then. Thanks for the explanation.

What's the "normal" price for a box of the Wolf MT?

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks for the ammo info. Interesting. I printed a few of the competition targets and I'm itching to shoot them. I fully expect to embarrass myself.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    You and me both, Robert. Granted, all I've got to shoot are CCI Minimags and some Remington subsonics, so even if I bring my A-game, I probably won't get decent groups.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've got quite a few different types but they're all just plinking rounds. HEY! We blame it on the boolits!

I've got several .22 rifles, but I don't think any of them are less than 60 years old with god knows how many rounds down the tube. I just want to give it a try. I don't have any expectations to ever get out of the lowest category, but, what the heck. Having a little competition (even with myself) will add some spice to the range time.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    My thoughts exactly. Plus, my .22 M4gery is semi-decent with Minimags, even though I never did get the iron sights zeroed (I just learned to shift my POA). Thinking with the "new" scope I got mounted, I can see what she's really capable of.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Before the craziness, Wolf MT could be had for about $5/50 rds. At the gunshow and on the interwebs, I've seen most people asking twice that. Champion shooters asks maybe a buck more for wolf MT and less than $8/50 for Wolf ME when they have it, which is a very fair price. I would say up to $75/500 for Wolf MT is fair in the current climate but $50-60 was the going price not all that long ago. AGL in Austin does bricks of MT for $75 IIRC. I will be running some Wolf ME thru by precision 22s for the first time ever tomorrow. I'll post the results here when I'm done. I'll be shooting for a "100" but I'll be happy with a high 90s score that's about 3-5x bulls. Anything less and I'll be going back to wolf MT to save a buck or two.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Got a couple more somewhat related questions: If I do get my rifle and have it cleaned and ready to go to the range on Friday, do I risk any kind of damage to the new bore by shooting "plinking" grade Remington or Winchester ammo instead of Wolf match grade? And is there a barrel "break-in" process I should follow? I might be making more of this than I need to... just would hate to damage the bore.

Top Bottom