• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I seriously feel like buying a mosin nagant tomorrow lol. Doesn't mean I will, because I don't want to be distracted from studying (which I clearly am distracted from now, though I have a math test on the 2nd), but I feel like it. Got my tax return. Now I don't know if I want a chinese carbine or a russian 91/30. The longer barrel= higher velocity, but it's harder to hide and I'd have to buy another case lol. I've always wanted a carbine mosin because I love the huge muzzle flash and folding bayonet. But I hate things made in China lol, but this is an exception. I just want a heavy hitting .30 cal rifle with cheap ammo. The AK is fine, but the mosin is just something else.

Only thing that gets me about these chinese mosins is this part

These Rifles are used surplus and are in overall Fair to Good condition as the pictures show. Please allow for obvious metal finish wear, possible light pitting and wood stock wear. Bores will be dark but serviceable. Cleaning rod is not included. Very limited supply, so while supplies last.

I know light pitting can be removed with oil and steel wool, which I have, but the possibly cracked stocks or dark "serviceable" bores???

Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant Rifle

Chinese Type 53 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant Carbine

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...7.62x54R+Hex+Mosin+Nagant+R ifle&groupid=254

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...e+Russian+Mosin+Nagant+91/30+7.62x54 R+Rifle

Venture Surplus ad

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    The m44 is the original russian version of the Chinese, better quality imo Usually run about $250. The Chinese type 53 carbines are usually beat to hell cracked stocks and used up barrels or dark bores.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I might just pick up a 91/30 if I can't find anything worthwhile.

Anyone know a gun shop in houston/sugar land with a good price on mosins?

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i wish i had a picture of what R. Burke - the Sig Armorer, is doing with some Mosin's he bought - he sporterizing (sp?) them - putting a mossy oak camo coat on them with a different stock - and a scope - great looking hunting rifles. I saw them in his shop earlier this week

i'm seriously thinking of having mine converted

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I bought my m44 for close to $100. I know it's been a few years, but seeing as how you can get a 91/30 for around $100 still, I don't see an m44 being much different.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Mosins are still very affordable. My Eldest Son and his boys gave me mine, a 91/30 along with a mosin cleaning kit, bayonet, sling and ammo.
    The finish on both rifle and stock are very nice, the bore looks a little dark between the groves, in the lands but that rifle is very accurate and
    very powerful. With the right hunting ammo it likely will bring down almost anything in North Amnerica.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Almost all the m44's have been imported and sold, thats why the price hike. They've turned into a bit of a collectors item.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have been badly afflicted by Mosinitis, I will not publicly admit to how many of the damn things I own. Be forewarned, do NOT get your C&R (03 FFL) if you want to keep this disease under control! Once you get the ability to have them shipped directly to your doorstep, it's game over!

I have a couple of T53s, to include a Vietnam War bring-back, and they are typically in the worst shape of any Mosin carbines. Usually they look like they've been chewed on by a dog, and used to drive tent stakes into the ground. They are the less-desirable Mosin carbines out there, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad shooters. You can get them cheap, and like most Mosins they'll shoot!

However, for your first Mosin I would suggest a 91/30, usually found at gun shows or online for under a hundred bucks with all the accessories. Ammo (7.62x54R) is cheap and about the only expensive aspect will be the chiropractor bills for the dislocated shoulder you're gonna get!

Once you have the longer Mosin, then start looking around for a carbine. They are more expensive because they've not only gotten rarer but they are also known for spitting out a beautiful fireball when shot during the evening or early morning hours.

As for sporterizing them, most purists would shudder at the mere thought of it. As a matter of fact, if you mention modifying or even restoring a Mosin on 7.62x54R.net you'll be immediately banned. In some ways I understand their desire to preserve the historical aspects of these great rifles, unfortunately I've seen many a rare and desirable Mosin be permanently destroyed by someone who chopped it up to shoot pigs with. If you do want to modify one in such a manner, be sure to do your research and make sure you're not ruining a rifle with historical significance.

Good luck with your search, the Mosin market has dried up of late and prices have been on the rise, but you should find a good 91/30 at a gun show for under $100 without a problem. But when you go to find a M44, M38 or similar carbine model, it will be tougher and more costly...

Cheers! M2

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    it sounds like there are enough mosins out there to sporterize a few and still maintain their historical significance.... :)

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Yes, I had a 42 Ihzvesk but I sold it a year ago to a member on another forum. I had sanded the finish off the stock, but this one I plan on leaving as is. I may order one today from AIMsurplus, a hex receiver and a spam can. I was a member on 7.2x54r.net but I hadn't posted in so long that they deleted my account, and just yesterday I found out it's invitation only membership.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Do it right. Save up for a Finn. Or just wait for the next time Cabela's has 91\30s for $100. There's a guy I know who will be at the Reliant show. Not sure what he has left, but they're all worth having if he's selling.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    Great weapons and affordable. Have to agree with MM about the C&R.. just got mine 4 days ago and have so far ordered:

Mosin Nagant 91/30 Round
    CZ 52
    CZ 82
    Yugo 24/47
    Walther P1
    Romanian TTC
    Polish TTC
    Polish P64
    Mauser 98K

I'll either die from cosmoline overdose or old age cleaning them... but what a way to go.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    When the crate arrives let me know, I'll be glad to help you sort and grade them if I can get a couple of the picks of the litter with/from you.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Lol call me when that crate comes in. And I can't get a C&R I'm not 21 lol.

Oh yeah I bought a 33 Tulsa 91/30 from the Houstongunforum shop. Its covered in grease, he had 2 hex receivers and a few round. I got the hex

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Oh yeah I bought a 33 Tulsa 91/30 from the Houstongunforum shop. Its covered in grease, he had 2 hex receivers and a few round. I got the hex

I was going to suggest his shop but it's way up there from you. Did you drive all the way to Ryan's shop? Brother you must have it really bad or in serious need of a study break!

Top Bottom