• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    And there are no fanboys of the 1911's?

As nutnfancy would say, it is merely a 2nd type of cool. Pretty much all the handguns out there work for their intended purpose. Some carry more ammo. Some are easy to concealed carry, and some are easier to shoot accurately. Some are cheap to buy, while others aren't.

It is all just details.

I don't think most brand name guns are "overrated," I want one of each.

To be for sure there are 1911 fans out there. But there is a point here.
    I hated Glocks up until a few years ago because of the Glockophants.
    In there eyes there is nothing, nota, zilch zippo that is comparable to a Glock, Everything pales in its light.
    Glocks are good but they are not God. No gun holds that seat.

I have a G17 and it is a good gun, But is it better than my, Springfield 1911? my Astra A100, my HS2000 or XDm9mm. Or say my Bersa 9mm. No it is not, they are all good guns. Glockophants just go way overboard and give the brand a black eye.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Glocks, are hyped up, but they are not overrated in my opinion. I have seen them do just what they were designed to do, and frankly at $500 new, they aren't badly priced either. Most people just don't like them because of the grip angle and polymer frame.

Colts in the 1911 world are overhyped. Kimber's in the 1911 world are overhyped.

The Taurus Judge is massively overhyped.

For honorary mention, the Ruger SR556 is a pile of shit, and is thusly overhyped.

All piston ARs are overhyped and overrated.

Unless you're going to be dumping a couple hundred rounds or more through the gun as fast as you can swap mags with a full auto rifle, you really, really don't need a piston AR.

Im goin with Glock The fanboys killed it same with the Desert Eagle and the FN 5.7 but what can u do...:confused:

Nah, the Five-seveN is an excellent pistol.. in a worthless caliber. Until someone comes out with some commercially available ammo that is actually engineered for self-defense (not that varmint-grade crap that is your only choice now), it's just a range toy for the most part.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    On Kimber, I love the balance and overall feel in my hand, not so much in my wallet.

Any 1911 will feel the same in terms of balance and feel though. The Kimber has nothing different about it that sets it apart from any other manufacturer in that regard.

As far as bang for the buck, I will put a $1000 STI Trojan 5.0 up against anything they make. The trigger is WORLDS better, the slide to frame fit is better than any Kimber I've ever felt, including their actual real custom shop guns, and it's got plenty of options. Kimber's custom shop does put out one hell of a trigger, but it's another several hundred dollars on top of the gun itself.

The Kimber is not a bad gun, but I think many people just don't know what else is on the market at that price point.

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    I dont mean to pick a fight or start anything but that sounds like a lot of internet rumor.
    Glocks inability to safely fire +P?

They are rated for them and my 19 handles them quite easily.

You're right about Glocks and the +P loads. They can fire them safely as well as +P+ loads. My brain slipped it in there at some point because of the other types of ammos it cant fire safely. Sorry about that and thanks for squaring me away.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Glocks are a no frills weapon. Will I ever buy one..probably not (don't like the fit), but they certainly do what they are designed for. The Judge is overrated, but I want one. I like being able to put snake shot and 45 LC's in the same package. Taurus has advertised the hell out of it and everyone has seen the guy shooting a watermelon out of the truck window on Versus tv. I wouldn't use it as an self defense gun, but it is versatile in regard to ammo options.

The most overrated handgun in my opinion is the HK (any). When I can buy an entry level AR for the same price I have a problem, but then again I'm not a wealthy guy. I've only heard great things about them and I know you get what you pay for, but it comes to a point when there's diminishing returns.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    You're right about Glocks and the +P loads. They can fire them safely as well as +P+ loads. My brain slipped it in there at some point because of the other types of ammos it cant fire safely. Sorry about that and thanks for squaring me away.

I was honestly not trying to be a smartass. The simple fact remains that people omit details and only look at the results. Proper loaded brass in good shape will yeild good results, period. Double charge some .40 reloads in brass with four trips to the press already and youre going to have a bad day with any gun. It seems people hate on Glocks because they are not 1911s. Every time Ive had the Glock talk with another shooter, they cite second hand knowledge of blown up guns. But when ased about the details, they shrug, and dont know. Its not important that the shooter was using poor quality reloads, whats memorable is that it blew up. Ive never seen one or definitavley read of a detonation with box stock or +P ammunitions.

But when a 1911 or other popular "American" gun bombs, every one knows the ammo, powder, press, setback, barometric pressure outside, temperature and how many kernals of corn were sitting ontop of the shooters stool he left in the ranges john that morning. to be honest, the glock guys annoy the hell out of me too. But they have a bad rap.

TexZaa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Cedar Park, Texas
    too much of a good thing...

I've always heard that "too much of anything is not a good thing". We all here love talking about guns (hence the name "Texas Gun Talk"), but sometimes we like to change the subject and talk about gorgeous people of the opposite sex. Have you ever met a person who just couldnt shut the hell up about what they loved? We just get tired of it.

As wonderful as Glocks are I get sick of seeing them on TV and YouTube. The bangers love to have their photos taken with the Glocks. Glock, Glock, Glock. I've been carrying the same 1911 around for 35 years, but I don't talk about it much and as a tool, I'm not sure it's any "better" than my neighbor's Glock. I do like my 1911 better. It's prettier. It's got soul. It's not a black square-looking boxy handgun. I've owned several Glocks and had a lot of fun with them. Are they over-rated? No. Do I get sick of hearing people swoon over their superiority? Yes. Heck, I get tired of hearing people swoon over 1911 superiority. What the hell is superiority anyway??

My advice. Love what you have, but stay lovable yourself by not insisting your tools are better than the next person's.

"1911 owners still put their pants on one leg at a time like everybody else." - The Dalai Lama

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    The two Glocks I own have run 100% for well over 10 years. Can't be overrated if they are trouble free and totally reliable that long. I'd say they are worth what you pay for them.

The upper level Kimbers, like the upper level Springers, ARE overpriced, but the Custom II and TLE II actually give you alot for the money and I hav shot several that ran great. My TLE II included.

- brickboy240

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have to agree with the vote for the Colt SAA. Not just any SA, but the Colt specifically. I guess a Colt 1911 also gets my vote. Again not just any 1911, but the Colt version. If I started a gun manufacturing company and sent out the crap Colt has, I'd be out of business in a week. I believe they are only around because of the name, not the gun. Not all of it is junk, but it is highly overrated.

Let the flaming begin.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

What is the most overrated handgun ever made?
    1. Glock
    2. Sig P series
    3. 1911's in general
    4. Walther
    5. HK
    6. Beretta

or chime in with your own opinions.

Glock is right on as the most overrated. However, you must be brain dead to even think the Sig P series. "Pricy" yes, but the best handguns made period!!

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    My friend,

Does anyone else find this statement ironic?

: )

Do you need others to support you? Just say what you mean.

I am a Sig Man all the way. I simply think Glocks are overrated, but they are simple. Glocks remind me of my toy guns when I was a kid....LOL.

To each their own.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    smartchart.jpg

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Do you need others to support you? Just say what you mean.

I am a Sig Man all the way. I simply think Glocks are overrated, but they are simple. Glocks remind me of my toy guns when I was a kid....LOL.

To each their own.

I meant that I thought it was ironic that you say Glock is way over rated, yet think Sig is the best hand gun in the world.

Didn't really mean anything by it. It just put a smile on my face.

: )

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom