• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I've been feeling a mighty strong hankering for a S&W 460XVR... but afraid I'd end up feeling about it as you did your 500mag.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. I’ve often thought about selling it and getting a 460 just so I could shoot the full gamut; 460, 454, 45LC in a single revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    That's how I feel about the 500 magnum. I bought one and was happy a friend wanted it more. I get to remind myself why I don't want one occasionally.

I had given some thoughts to getting a 500 Magnum, but decided against that one. Kind of limited to just the one cartridge, where with a 460 Magnum, or the 454 Casull, it opens up more cartridge options for the shooter and reloader.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    LOL, who didn't you tick off with that one.

I don't know who is doing the rating.

All of those guns have a cult following.

The only gun I really have a problem with is Taurus selling the judge with shotshells as a defensive handgun.

Everything else is just details.
    The Judge 410 is probably the best anti snake gun around- several ranchers in the Panhandle near me carry them and their wives do as well. When the rattler is close, the judge rules! Pretty worthless for anything else unless loaded with .45 long Colt ammo.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The Judge 410 is probably the best anti snake gun around- several ranchers in the Panhandle near me carry them and their wives do as well. When the rattler is close, the judge rules! Pretty worthless for anything else unless loaded with .45 long Colt ammo.

Coyote9,

Given the price & complexity of the Judge & other similar sorts of "snake guns" , what I wish that someone would bring back is the "old-school" H&R Handy Gun in .410 & 20 gauge. = Dirt Simple, inexpensive to buy & LONG-lasting describes it.

IF I remember correctly, I paid 35 bucks for mine, well-used, in 20 gauge.
    It "lived" in my tacklebox for over 2 decades & accounted for any number of Cottonmouths that got TOO "up close & personal", when I was fishing in south LA, at Caddo Lake & Oliver Lake.

just my OPINION, satx

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My friend bought two Judges ( one for him and one for his Son). After patterning the Judge against a 1911 in 45ACP with snake shot, they now carry 1911s. He showed me his pattern targets.......1911 hands down.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Coyote9,

Given the price & complexity of the Judge & other similar sorts of "snake guns" , what I wish that someone would bring back is the "old-school" H&R Handy Gun in .410 & 20 gauge. = Dirt Simple, inexpensive to buy & LONG-lasting describes it.

IF I remember correctly, I paid 35 bucks for mine, well-used, in 20 gauge.
    It "lived" in my tacklebox for over 2 decades & accounted for any number of Cottonmouths that got TOO "up close & personal", when I was fishing in south LA, at Caddo Lake & Oliver Lake.

just my OPINION, satx
    I traded my HandiGun .410 12" in on a buddy deal for a pre-war National Match 1911 upper. He valued it at $400! It was a reliable firearm and more pleasant to shoot than a Judge. I think that current BATFE rules them as Class 3? The Handi Guns are exempt in certain barrel lengths.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm punishing y'all for participating in that "best" thread. :)

Can't anyone say you don't have sense of humor Ben!

The "best" threads! I sort of get a kick out of them. Kind of points to where people's thoughts are on various guns. But for some of the reasons I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, and it seems some years ago, many new members on various gun forums, they would start numerous "best" threads on all sorts of guns and stuff. I kind of got burned out with them after a while.

I should count my blessings though, because at least they didn't start a "best" gun for zombies, or when the SHTF events!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I traded my HandiGun .410 12" in on a buddy deal for a pre-war National Match 1911 upper. He valued it at $400! It was a reliable firearm and more pleasant to shoot than a Judge. I think that current BATFE rules them as Class 3? The Handi Guns are exempt in certain barrel lengths.

Coyote9,

FYI, the 20 gauge Handy Gun, at least those of the sort that I had with an 8" barrel, is C&R & also AOW (requires a one-time 5.00 tax stamp).
    ADDENDA: My old "shot pistol" once belonged to an Animal Control Officer in NETX, who used it to kill rodents/snakes.)
    (A load of the cheapest 20 gauge birdshot will "do a job on" Mr. Cottonmouth. - A Game Warden stopped me one afternoon at Oliver Lake, some 15 years ago & asked me WHY I was carrying a "sawed off shotgun" on the water. When I said that it was REGISTERED & that I was prepared to shoot Cottonmouths, he said, "GOOD PLAN. - LOTS of them fellows in this slough."
    (Oliver Lake is an about mile-long ox-bow off of the Sulphur River & it is full of BIG fish & Cottonmouths, too.)

As a friend of mine & I are likely "going in together" to incorporate & acquire a Type 7 & a Type 8 FFL, so we can "manufacture" & also import firearms, we may well reproduce a "modernized version" (with synthetic furniture) of the old-school ITHACA Auto-Burglar Gun in 20 gauge AND the H&R Handy Gun (in STAINLESS STEEL), too.
    (I know of & have contacts at a small company in Turkey who would be delighted to make the UNFINISHED actions & the associated small parts for both AOW.)

Note: El Paso Saddlery still has patterns & can make the chest holsters for the Auto-Burglar Gun.
    (Like everything else that EPS makes, such holsters will NOT be CHEAP but they will be QUALITY. = I have a WWII Pilot's-style chest holster for my S&W 1917 revolver that is >30 years old & still looks/functions fine. It gets that BIG revolver "up & out of the way" when I'm astride.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    What is the most overrated handgun ever made?
    1. Glock
    2. Sig P series
    3. 1911's in general
    4. Walther
    5. HK
    6. Beretta

or chime in with your own opinions.

1622585170013.png

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Interesting that the most overrated handguns and the most loved handguns are probably the exact same list.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    1. The Glock 7. No, its not worth more than I make in a month. Damn John McClane anyway.

2. The Colt "Dragoon"

3. The Colt Single Action Army

4. The Luger P-08

5. Smith & Wesson Model 29

Flame on :what:

Top Bottom