• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    I still have an NC drivers license but I want to buy and register a motorcycle in TX. Obviously I will need a TX motorcycle license but do I have to get a TX drivers license first?

Reason I ask is my car may be sold here in about a week or so leaving me transportationless (yes I just made that word up) and I have always wanted a motorcycle. I will eventually get another car but want to go ahead and get a bike first.
    Hurley's Gold

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Motorcycle is an endorsement on your drivers license. So yes, you will need to get your driver's license. It's as easy as taking the written and eye tests - no road test required. My endorsement teansfered when I came back to TX, so you'll have to check into requirements for obtaining the endorsement. My ex gt hers and she took a motorcycle safety course which substituted for the riding test. But I believe you can take the motorcycle written at the same time youmtransfer your license.

Good luck and share the road.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    Motorcycle is an endorsement on your drivers license. So yes, you will need to get your driver's license. It's as easy as taking the written and eye tests - no road test required. My endorsement teansfered when I came back to TX, so you'll have to check into requirements for obtaining the endorsement. My ex gt hers and she took a motorcycle safety course which substituted for the riding test. But I believe you can take the motorcycle written at the same time youmtransfer your license.

Good luck and share the road.
    This
    now you have to take the motorcycle safety course to get your class m.
    What kinda bike are you looking for?Not selling one just nosey.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I still have an NC drivers license but I want to buy and register a motorcycle in TX. Obviously I will need a TX motorcycle license but do I have to get a TX drivers license first?

Reason I ask is my car may be sold here in about a week or so leaving me transportationless (yes I just made that word up) and I have always wanted a motorcycle. I will eventually get another car but want to go ahead and get a bike first.

I purchased and registered a motorcycle 2 years ago. No one asked me for my DL. Only proof of liability insurance.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    You don't need a motorcycle endorsement on your license to purchase a motorcycle or carry insurance on it.

That said, you get pulled over they can impound your bike just because you don't have one.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    There isn't a road test for MC anymore? Seems like I had to take my MC and do a road test.......but that was a long time ago.

Well yes and no. Now you have to take the MSF course which is a driving skills and written test, then go to the DPS office and take another written test.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I hear DPS is getting out of the testing business. Cars will be treated like bikes are now. Your private instructor will certify you have been taught and tested. You then just provide paperwork and pay the money.

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    This
    now you have to take the motorcycle safety course to get your class m.
    What kinda bike are you looking for?Not selling one just nosey.

This will be my first bike and I am a big fan of gsxr's. I found a 08 1000 near me that looks amazing. I know 99% are going to tell me to start with something smaller but I am not because I know myself and wont push the limits too far.

Thanks for the replies.

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    You don't need a motorcycle endorsement on your license to purchase a motorcycle or carry insurance on it.

That said, you get pulled over they can impound your bike just because you don't have one.

Well I dont have a TX dl anyways. I was just trying to hurry things up because I am impatient and not have to take the written/eye test for a dl.

MatteR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    This will be my first bike and I am a big fan of gsxr's. I found a 08 1000 near me that looks amazing. I know 99% are going to tell me to start with something smaller but I am not because I know myself and wont push the limits too far.

Thanks for the replies.
    99% for a reason, it's not about pushing your limits. A gsxr 1000 can get out control really easy. Good luck and wear gear!

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I hear DPS is getting out of the testing business. Cars will be treated like bikes are now. Your private instructor will certify you have been taught and tested. You then just provide paperwork and pay the money.

That's how I got my license many years ago. Took Drivers Ed in high school. Instructor administered written exam and driving test. Only thing I went to dps for was to get the license itself.

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 3000.

MatteR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Just don't be the guy pullin high chairs down the freeway and you'll survive.
    Ain't nothing wrong with that! My younger/dumber days and no 1000 needed.

254558-highchair1.jpg

Top Bottom