• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    One thing all bikers should understand.

Riding the street requires awareness beyond a non-riders imagination. Somehow 95% of cages are piloted by folks that believe: he doesn't need the whole lane so I'll just borrow half if it's convenient for me; It's a bike so he can stop on a dime in the snow or make high speed 90 degree corners so I don't need to bother with judging his speed before I jump out in front of him; a wave is plenty sufficient apology for that motorcycle that just skidded sideways becausemI was too lazy to turn my head to check before pulling out in front of him; that line of 50 bikers won't mind if I attempt to pass then get cold feet halfway through the line.

Words to live by: the gun is always loaded and the cages are trying to kill you.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Been to 2 MSF courses over the years. The course administers the written and riding skills test on site. Then you go to DPS and take the 20 question computer test. That's it.

Transfer your license and get signed up in a class soon as they fill up and are usually back logged during the spring/summer with everyone wanting to ride. Course cost can range from 100 to 250 depending your local and how soon you need to attend.

Good luck and post up if get a motorcycle. I sold my 848 and my sfv 650. Love me some V-twin, as long as it ain't on a cruiser. No offense to the HOG peeps. Lol

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Nice, but notice you admitted to the intelligence level needed. A good high chair is a demonstration of truly mad skills.

+1 on the mad skills for a high chair. I'm much more comfortable hanging off the side, leaned way over with a knee on the ground, watching the blades of grass as they go by at a high rate of speed. No high chairs for me.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    99% for a reason, it's not about pushing your limits. A gsxr 1000 can get out control really easy. Good luck and wear gear!

I started on a 03 gsxr 600. I had at least one oh shit moment. 1000 is nowhere to start on a sport bike. The power will never allow you to gain confidence in your riding abilities like a 600 or even a 250 will. Much easier to flick around and a lot more forgiving if you grab the throttle a little too quick. Just think of hanging on one handed with the throttle pinned. It will be less than an 8 second ride.

But its your choice. Wear your gear, even when it is 106 out side. Hot asphalt burns like hell if you have a get off moment. The gear keeps you from loosing skin and scorching on the pavement when you stop sliding. Get a good helmet! Shoei X-12 has so much airflow it is like being in the shade with a breeze when your at a red light. Much better than a baking cranium under direct sunlight.

MatteR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Nice, but notice you admitted to the intelligence level needed. A good high chair is a demonstration of truly mad skills.
    I think younger might have more to do with it than intelligence!

My first bike, pictured, was a 2000 zx6r. If I had left with a gix 1k I might not have made it home. I started riding in CA and people actually kind of look out for bikes. Little different story in TX! As Freak Accident pointed out a mistake is hard enough to recover from on a 600, a 1k is putting you on the ground. There are so many nice small bikes now. Get a used CBR500; ride the shit out of it for a year (or a month); sell it for what you paid for it and then get a gix 1k.

If you are in the DFW area I have a 2006 gsxr 600 I'll let you ride, you brake it you fix it. Liter bikes are fun to ride but I've always enjoyed riding the shit out of little bikes. BTW 250's are wheelie machines! Here is a nice no throttle hand ole school ninja 250 pic.

ninjawheelie.jpg

I made a living doing stunt shows for a couple of years. I had more fun riding track than I ever did "stuntin".

225204_1037028176689_2893_n.jpg

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I think younger might have more to do with it than intelligence!

My first bike, pictured, was a 2000 zx6r. If I had left with a gix 1k I might not have made it home. I started riding in CA and people actually kind of look out for bikes. Little different story in TX! As Freak Accident pointed out a mistake is hard enough to recover from on a 600, a 1k is putting you on the ground. There are so many nice small bikes now. Get a used CBR500; ride the shit out of it for a year (or a month); sell it for what you paid for it and then get a gix 1k.

If you are in the DFW area I have a 2006 gsxr 600 I'll let you ride, you brake it you fix it. Liter bikes are fun to ride but I've always enjoyed riding the shit out of little bikes. BTW 250's are wheelie machines! Here is a nice no throttle hand ole school ninja 250 pic.

ninjawheelie.jpg

I made a living doing stunt shows for a couple of years. I had more fun riding track than I ever did "stuntin".

225204_1037028176689_2893_n.jpg

Nice. My son used to ride and went to school with some guys from Saginaw that are extremely talented riders.

moshow9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    El Paso
    Yup, I believe it was 2008 when the requirement for a motorcycle safety course started. If you have motorcycle on your current valid license (which it doesn't appear to be I don't believe) it will transfer over. Be sure to specify this when applying as well just in case it gets overlooked by the processing technician.

As an aside, a motorcycle driving test can still be administered at DPS for the few out there who may hold a motorcycle permit ("J" Restriction on DL) from years before that now wish to turn it to an unrestricted license.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I know 99% are going to tell me to start with something smaller but I am not because I know myself and wont push the limits too far.

Yes you will. You may think you won't but one day you will. I've yet to meet anyone that's ridden a literbike and never punched it. I'm not one to advocate 250's for every beginner but also don't think that a 1000 is the best idea. That said, its your choice...just don't kid yourself into thinking you'll never push that bike outside your skill.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I got my MC endorsement when I moved to Texas in 1992. A road test was required. You had to get someone (licensed MC rider) to ride the bike to the test office then he/she followed you in a car that you furnished with the examiner aboard. They'd honk their horn to tell you to turn left or right. It was pretty difficult to line up the help and all the logistics to take the test.

I guess that the MC safety course takes the place of all that, now. It's a positive change from the sound of it.

2013 marks the 50th year of my motorcycle riding. Nothing in my life has brought more pleasure than riding, touring, dirt riding, hill climbing or anything else that a MC will do. I don't remember a time that I was without a scooter and have owned about 30 bikes.

Flash

Last edited:

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    The course, required to obtain a MC endorsement or license, takes the place of the driving test at DPS.

Has this changed recently? Several years ago I know that if you took the course and passed, all you had to do was go to DPS and get your endorsement. I took the class and waited a month or so before going to DPS. By that time legislation had passed where you not only needed the course but had to take the written and road test. Just curious

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Has this changed recently? Several years ago I know that if you took the course and passed, all you had to do was go to DPS and get your endorsement. I took the class and waited a month or so before going to DPS. By that time legislation had passed where you not only needed the course but had to take the written and road test. Just curious
    I think you have it backwards.

Back when I first started riding one had to take a driving and written test administered by DPS. Today, one must take and pass a Motorcycle Safety Course. No driving test is administered by DPS now.

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    2013 marks the 50th year of my motorcycle riding. Nothing in my life has brought more pleasure than riding, touring, dirt riding, hill climbing or anything else that a MC will do. I don't remember a time that I was without a scooter and have owned about 30 bikes.

Flash

50 years,alright !

April was 50 years for me. Started at 14. I get a smile each and ever time I throw a leg over a scoot.

I also advocate starting off smaller than a 1k cc. Not only due to your lack of experience but there are times when some cage is determined to run over you. It can require a heathy twist on the throttle to escape.
    That is where you are going to get yourself in a lot of trouble in a big hurry on that size bike due to your lack of skills. The crash won't due to your lack of restraint. It will be the flight or fight reaction.

Start of right and I hope you make 50 years of riding I we have.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Got my MC endorsement in 1979. Raced Liter bikes in College. Rode police motors for 5 years. Probably have more miles behind me than most. MSF intermediate and advanced, Police Motorcycle Instructors course. I made my step son go to the MSF class before we would even talk about him riding. He did pretty good on a Y6. Only dumped it once and that was because he was riding with a neighbor kid on a CB1000. He let peer pressure get the best of him.

I agree the big bikes will shoot out from under you if you are not WELL versed.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I agree the big bikes will shoot out from under you if you are not WELL versed.

At the same time don't get anything to small. My first bike was a rebel 250 and I had to lay it down on the highway because I didn't have enough power to get out of a bad situation. Luckily all I had was a bit of road rash and a broken ego.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Top Bottom