• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    I picked up an MVP .223 varmint when they first came out and I've been impressed with it. For a rifle that cost under $500.00 it comports itself well. It is a respectable sub-MOA rifle with most target/varmint grade ammo. Handloads get it down to 1/2MOA. With a 24" medium contour barrel it will start to string its groups when it warms up -- this and the lack of length of pull on the stock are my only complaints...

IMG_20150502_1050248271_zpsiiagdkgs.jpg

I also once had a mini-14. I summarize my experience with this excellent representation of the superb accuracy it was capable of, especially when scoped:

mini14Humor.png
    Target Sports

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    I have known about it since it was a wildcat. It is underpowered and designed to be a fantasy sniper bullet. So, Rushthedisaster don't make assumptions about the 300 whisper that you have apparently no knowedge about. I just prefer something more useful than a Walter Mitty round. You do know about him, right? You want to lie fairy tales be my guest but dont impune that of which you are ignorant.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I was under the impression that the .300 Blackout and .300 Whisper were similar-but-different cartridges, and not directly interchangeable... The former belongs to AAC, the later to some famous wildcatter. From what little I've seen, the .300 Blackout is essentially a .30-30 or 7.62x39 with marginally better ballistics, optimized for subsonic, relatively short-range shooting (i.e inside 300 yards), designed for a simple, easy conversion with a .223/5.56 weapon (read: just swap the barrel and re-zero your sights kind of simple).

If those traits are correct (and please, someone speak up if I'm wrong), then it seems well-suited to hunting and survival, IMHO.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I have known about it since it was a wildcat. It is underpowered and designed to be a fantasy sniper bullet. So, Rushthedisaster don't make assumptions about the 300 whisper that you have apparently no knowedge about. I just prefer something more useful than a Walter Mitty round. You do know about him, right? You want to lie fairy tales be my guest but dont impune that of which you are ignorant.

First of all who the ****, of people actually serious about this cartridge, said that 300 bo is "designed to be a fantasy sniper bullet". Nobody ever said that as far as I know, so whos making assumptions now. 300bo is a cartridge that can do a few things well but when used outside of that scope is not the best cartridge.

With supersonic loadings and properly constructed bullets, 300bo can reach out and reliably expand/penetrate up to 300yds (blacktips) or 150+yds (125gr TNT, 125gr SST) in an AR package with as short as 8 inches of barrel (the performance in short barrels is one of its biggest selling points). These offerings have had many reports of DRT on pigs and smaller deer species and people seem to be having just as much success rate as they would with 30-30 or .247.

Then you have the subsonics which many do just run at the range because lets face it subsonic supressed calibers make people giggle. But that doesn't take away from the fact that even properly constructed subsonics can take game. There are a few factory bullet offerings such as Lehigh 194gr ME, Outlaw State Bullets, Blackout Bullets that actually expand/penetrate reliably at subsonic speeds. There are even some who have taken softer cast bullets and thrown deep hollow points in them resulting in expansion and sometimes some fragmentation (several reports of AMAZING blood trails with the right hit using these). With that said there are alot of caveats to subsonic hunting. First of all there is the rainbow trajectory which makes getting the proper holdover tricky. Lots of people are using good bdc reticles combined with a range finder (I even made a printout of my reticle with subtensions for every 5 yds that I taped to my buffer tube on my pistol). It is imperative that you practice religiously at varying ranges so that you know your holdovers like the back of your hand and can ensure a precise, clean shot. Because of this rainbow trajectory most people also limit themselves on the max range they will take a shot to like 75-100yds although there are some people who have gotten clean kills out to 125yds. The last caveat is that you have less good places to shoot on animals like pig and deer that have large and thick shoulder plates. Subsonics will NOT penetrate bone reliably so you have to take shots with that in mind. All in all though many of these same things exist with bow and magnum pistol hunting and yet people successfully take game with those all the time. Subsonic hunting is more about the challenge than the shooting so quiet you dont spook the other animal 25yds away (which is somewhat of a fallacy, happens occasionally but most of the time the thump of the bullet on target spooks em).

Seriously, I don't even know why I bothered to orate this big speil as you are probably going to throw more ad hominem attacks at me but w/e.

Of course I have no "knowedge" of this caliber though and these are all just some paperweights I picked out of the trash.....
    e7bc7e36d54c38882be4144d313340ff.jpg

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    Well, the 300 bo is not the equivalent of a 30-30 or a 7.62x39. It is much less than either unless it is using supersonic loads which was not the originsl intention. It was designed to be subsonic for use with suppressors. An sks or a 30-30 would be a much cheaper and easier to find. You can hunt a lion with a spear and have a better weapon in some ways than a 300bo. It was designed as a range toy as it was recognized as not suitable for real sniper duties or serious hunting. A subsonic 308 is much more capable as a suppressed weapon . Too bad some people can't accept criticism as well as they can dish it out. As for the toys in ghe picture, I have been shooting, building and reloading gir more than 50 years. I bought my first gun with my money at 11. While I am sure there there are smarter, more experienced and capable speakers on the subject, I doubt I sm addressing one now. If I hurt your feelings by expressing my opinion and not backing down, I am sorry. As the man said, you can disagree without being disagreeable. You can till love your little toys. I love mine like my 52 year old Remington 700 and my 1100 shotgun of the same age. I bought them new back then and still hunt with them even though many have joined them over the years. I my be wrong but I think I my have been hunting longer than you.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Travis Haley on 300BLK

300BLK at 1000yds
    http://www.thebangswitch.com/1000-yard-shot-with-the-300-blackout/

Hunting w subsonic
    http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=78275

Entire forum on hunting and kills w 300BLK (ton of threads w pics/proof/evidence)
    http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=145

You may be right in that YOU may not be able to do anything with it, but the cartridge is certainly capable. Maybe you just need to enhance your skillset?

Ask questions if you need to. We'll be happy to provide advice so you can become a better shooter.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Are we really doing this?

Having experience with neither rifle, I'm picking the Ruger American. But hey, my advice is worth what you paid for it :)

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    Enjoy your Ruger. It is a nice gun. Shoot carefully and responsibly. I heard of a guy who was shooting elephants in Mexico at 1000 yards with a 22lr. Then I woke up.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Travis Haley on 300BLK

300BLK at 1000yds
    1000 yard shot with the 300 Blackout: A Tribute to John Noveske | The Bang Switch

Hunting w subsonic
    Will 300 Blackout SUBSONIC kill a deer? Warning...graphic.. - 300BlkTalk

Entire forum on hunting and kills w 300BLK (ton of threads w pics/proof/evidence)
    Hunting Discussion - 300BlkTalk

You may be right in that YOU may not be able to do anything with it, but the cartridge is certainly capable. Maybe you just need to enhance your skillset?

Ask questions if you need to. We'll be happy to provide advice so you can become a better shooter.

Why bother, according to this guy that whole hunting subforum is just full of people who took game with .308 win and are lying.

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    Actually, I often use a 243 for deer and sometimes hogs. It is a marginal cartridge at best but much more effective than a 300bo. I remember as a kid reading on 22lr boxes that they were dangerous for a mile and being warned o know whst was behind my target. You want to try shooting one at 5240 ft? Get real. Just because someone tried it wouldn't make it smart. Yes, there are people who will try anything but there are many cartridges that were found wanting and died after the zelots found the next wonder bullet. You want to get close enough to shoot soneting humanly with 300bo? Good luck but I don't like to track or lose wounded game. Some don't care but they don't have my respect either. You want to shoot on my land then you better come with a proper firearm.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Really? Because we used to professionally manage many thousands of acres for game (that we owned) and took several hundred deer w a 222 over the years.

30-30, 7.62x39, etc also w/o having to trail anything more than 50yds. Also bows and crossbows.

And sure I've used 243 too. It's more than enough for whitetail. It's only marginal if your shots are marginal.

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    Subsonic is subsonic no matter what rifle it's shot out of. A 220 grain bullet at 1050fps out of a 300 winmag is no different than being shot out of a .300bo. But the faster twist rate in the .300bo does have the stability advantage when the velocity drops.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am still trying to wrap my head around the 300 BO being a cult cartridge. I believe it has moved well beyond that.

The subs are anemic (relatively speaking) but full power loads can hold their own with many popular hunting rounds.

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    A 220grain bullet out of a winmag is not a 1000 yard gun either. At 100 or less it would be adequate. At 73 that is about all my wife expects from me too. 125 grain 30 inch arrow will do at 30 yards. My son wanted a 50 bmg ONCE until I asked him or what purpose?

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    A subsonic 308 is much more capable as a suppressed weapon .

Got to call you out on this one. First of all with same twist/same velocity/same bullet the ballistics would be IDENTICAL. Secondly .308s are usually much slower twist so they can't even stabilize the heavy pills at subsonic speed. So basically you are saying a lighter bullet at same velocity is somehow magically better. And we won't even get into the fact that you can acheive all these results with ALOT less powder (and alot more variety than just Trail Boss).

Top Bottom