• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apariah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    The Colony
    I'm wanting to buy my first rifle, I just got my wife to agree with having firearms in the house and got my CHL this month. I want to pick up a few other guns as the budget allows, but one thing I really would like to get is either an AR, or AK. I've read a lot and watched a lot on both, and lots of people seem hard core over one or the other. I'm not since I have no experience with either.

I'm seeing AK's a bit cheaper than AR's, not to mention AK ammo seems cheaper as well. Considering how things are now, and may be in the future with ammo prices and parts availability, and legislation would it be better for a new rifle owner to to pick up an AR or an AK.

I'm also looking an a 9mm carbine for the wife since I think she will want no part of either an AR or AK.

As this is will be my first rifle, I have no opinion one way or another, but I know I won't have the budget to build a $1000.00 anything any time soon so comparing a 500-600 AK to a 900 AR really does me no good I realize just how nice some of the custom, or high end AR are, but I'm not even considering one of them.
    ARJ Defense ad

Ride4TheBrand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    The Lone Star State
    It all depends on the mission of the rifle. Will it be a battle rifle, or will it be a show piece? The AR platform has, by far, more aftermarket accessories to dress it up and make it more "tacticool" compared to what is available for the AK. The AR shoots a .22 caliber bullet, the AK shoots a .30 caliber bullet. The AR is more accurate at long distances, while the effective range for the AK is about 300 meters. However, the AR is more prone to malfunction in extreme weather conditions compared to the AK.

I will admit to a bias toward the AK. It goes bang every time, it's battle proven in all climates, and it is the most prolific battle rifle in the world.

If you enjoy changing out parts and accessories on your rifle as much as a young girl enjoys dressing up her Barbie, then yeah... go with the AR. The AK is caveman simple and works best unencumbered with extraneous junk hanging off of it.

Not gospel, just my opinion

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    both awesome rifles.
    ak IMO is one of the best guns ever built. simple design, almost immposible to make it quit shooting and eats any ammo you have. bigger bullet than an AR is a plus too.
    out past 200 yards, accuracy gets questionable ...AR is much more accurate way out there, but is also a more finicky weapon.

I own both, I love both....i would hate to have to pick one, but if i did, i would go with an AK. sounds like at this point your budget is better suited for an AK as well.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    As far as what "I" would buy, it would be an AR. I think the general consensus is AR's can be more accurate, and there are unlimited customization options. 223 ammo is very widely available, with prices are coming down even on brass cased MJ . And I think the EBR is a very cool looking weapon. It's one gun I'd want if the SHTF.

AK's on the other hand have a reputation of being uber reliable, and will function even when neglected. And even though they might be a 1/2 MOA or so different in accuracy, more has to do with the shooter than the gun.

Of course ultimately you will need to make the decision and if it's price that is important, than the AK would probably be cheaper.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I would say get an AR. I own both, and think the AK is very neat, but I've owned and shot ARs for years and have bought/built AKs as a novelty. I wouldn't do it any different if I were to do it over again. Take a look at these CMMG Bargain Bin Carbine. It's a great deal on a ready to fire rifle. A good starting point.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    I like AKs but would rather have an AR. You get what you pay for.

This vid will change your mind about AKs accuracy:
    YouTube - AK 47 vs M16

I was on the fence about which one also, but I chose an AR15 because it's American, ammo is affordable and easy to build/easy to change variants.

I just built this one and kept it under $800...by looking around for the best prices/discounts:
    LatestAR15002.jpg

LatestAR15003.jpg

Ride4TheBrand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    The Lone Star State
    Interesting video, Al. But the accuracy of the rifles portrayed here is subjective to the shooter's talent. A sighted in AK at 200 yards and a decent shooter would have pegged the target just as well as the AR shooter did in this video. Now, if they had been clamped down and sighted on target and fired remotely, we would have had a clearer picture of both rifles' capabilities. What the video DID accomplish was to note the sheer penetrating power that the .30 caliber round has vs. the .22 caliber round. The failure of the .223 round to penetrate was the chief complaint among my Marine son and his buddies when they returned from the sand box.

Again, it depends on what mission a buyer has for the rifle he intends to buy as to which he should purchase.

I also owned both rifle variants, but the AK is my go to battle rifle... and I ended up selling the AR and buying another AK and LOTS more ammo ;)

apariah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    The Colony
    I'm looking for something that goes bang everytime I pull the trigger without fail. Although the wife probably won't shoot it on a regular basis, if something happen to me, and she needed it, she has to be able to pick it up and start shooting. I'm not looking to swap out parts on a regular basis, I want to buy or build what I need, and then maintain an shoot it. I'm not looking for a cool toy or bragging rights. I cc a bersa 380, because it fits my needs, not because its the coolest thing available. I've looked at a few other weapons, but as said above both the AR, and AK are proven in battle, and relatively cheap for a modern magazine fed semiauto rifles.

The point of the rifle is, if things ever get so bad, that this is the only way I can defend my family I want something that will certainly persuade people to pick another target. So good cheap ammo is a concern here too. I almost thing because the AR is an American weapon ammo should be easier to come by, but I'm seeing AK ammo listed at lower prices.

WhoDat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I have about a dozen ARs and 4 AK-types. I love them all, but with varying degrees. In response to your query about a first rifle, however, you may also want to consider a 30.06 or .308 bolt.

And my primary reason is that it will make you a better rifleman.

OK, let the flames begin... ;)

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    If you can't get your budget to touch at least $900, then you've already made your decision. Get an AK.

I'm an AR guy, I wouldn't grab my AK to deal with a threat or to take a class with. But if you can't get to the $900-$1000 mark, I think you're really better off sticking with a less expensive platform. Any AR you find at that price point will be lacking features and testing that you want. It will also generally be made from subpar materials, using subpar quality control. Whereas you can buy a decent AK for that.

ETA: If you can manage to get discounts and go cheap on a few parts that won't matter as much you can just sneak under the $800 mark as Al did above.

I don't know what kind of BCG he has in it, but the upper is phenomenal(and the upper and BCG are generally what matter most.)

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I'm not looking to swap out parts on a regular basis, I want to buy or build what I need, and then maintain an shoot it.

Then you're better off with the AK, because once you get an AR, the temptation to customize is very strong LOL :cool:

But seriously, if you're thinking your wife might want to shoot it some, the AR has less recoil, and the adjustable stock is a nice feature to help fit different shooters.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Interesting video, Al. But the accuracy of the rifles portrayed here is subjective to the shooter's talent. A sighted in AK at 200 yards and a decent shooter would have pegged the target just as well as the AR shooter did in this video. uld purchase. ;)

Although I think for the most part, an AR will be more accurate than an AK, I would not expect it to be that big of a difference as displayed in the video. I did notice the AK shooter jerking the trigger, but didn't see a close up of the AR trigger action. Maybe the AR had a nice two stage trigger.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Inside 200 yards, I would venture to say that the average guy is going to shoot both about equally accurate.
    Neither weapon has much recoil....so that shouldn't be an issue.
    As already mentioned in this thread, I have heard NUMEROUS complaints from returning vets from the middle east about the lack of knock down with a .223

If I were getting rushed by people intent on killing me and my family, I prefer to ventilate them with a .30 caliber bullet over a .223 the 7.62 is much more devastating. A .223 will kill you, a 7.62x39 will kill you RIGHT NOW.

Ammo for both probably wont ever be much of an issue, although for awhile .223 was hard to find. As a matter of fact the reason 7.62 is cheaper is usually the fact that the military has factories that produce .223 sending most of it to them, so what is available to the public usually isnt cheap.

As mentioned, both are good rifles, both have pros and cons and I'm sure you will enjoy which ever you pick.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Either an AK or an AR would serve you well. I have both and I like both, but I prefer the ergonomics and controls of the AR. With the AR I can shoot faster and reload faster. 5.56 really doesn't kick at all and your wife ought to be able to handle it just fine. Plus you can get a .22lr bolt and practice for ultra cheap. If you don't like 5.56, you can get an AR in damn near any caliber you want. I know you said you don't want to be changing parts out, but keep in mind the AR makes it super easy. ARs are like legos for gun enthusiasts.

It sounds like you're leaning towards the AK based on price, but just keep in mind that the cheap AKs are built from surplus parts kits. Some shoot great, while others don't. To get a nice AK you end up spending AR money anyways.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Get an SKS. It's design pre-dates the AK and it's just as reliable. The only comprimise is the fixed box magazine. It is heavier because of the milled reciever and more accurate than an AK. If you have to have replaceable magazines, you can buy versions of the SKS that use AK mags. At $250-400 you can get a great quality SKS and get your feet wet with a combat rifle very similar to the AK. Another great alternative that few people think about is the VZ-58 which is another milled receiver, striker fired version of the AK. Those are about $850 though. Otherwise, I agree with most of what has been said. If you buy an AR, the honeymoon will never end and you will keep buying stuff for it until you are tapped out.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I just picked up an M70 for $480 shipped, which seems to have been an okay deal. I have yet to give it a review, but I was plagued with the same question and went with an AK.

I like things that WORK all the time. Thus the AK, thus my Glock. :D

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I'm looking for something that goes bang everytime I pull the trigger without fail. Although the wife probably won't shoot it on a regular basis, if something happen to me, and she needed it, she has to be able to pick it up and start shooting. I'm not looking to swap out parts on a regular basis, I want to buy or build what I need, and then maintain an shoot it. I'm not looking for a cool toy or bragging rights. I cc a bersa 380, because it fits my needs, not because its the coolest thing available. I've looked at a few other weapons, but as said above both the AR, and AK are proven in battle, and relatively cheap for a modern magazine fed semiauto rifles.

IThe point of the rifle is, if things ever get so bad, that this is the only way I can defend my family I want something that will certainly persuade people to pick another target. So good cheap ammo is a concern here too. I almost thing because the AR is an American weapon ammo should be easier to come by, but I'm seeing AK ammo listed at lower prices.

I, like most of the others, have both. "I" would lean twards the AR, if it were me and those are the only choices. As long as you maintain the AR, it will give you great service.

Actually, .223 IS cheaper (if you reload). As far as the wife grabbing it, if something happend to you, the AR is, by far, a better choice. Not near as much recoil.

Now, if this is a home defense weapon, I would lean twards a 12 guage shotgun. Point and shoot. A Knox stock would dampen the recoil down enough for a 12 year old girl to shoot. 12 guage ammo is cheap and there is NOTHING like the sound of a shotgun being racked. IMO

apariah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    The Colony
    This almost sounds like maybe I should forget about the AK, get an SKS from me, and an AR a little later for the wife and not worry about the 9mm carbine. I've seen the 22lr conversions for AR's and would probably get one eventually anyway if I went that route, I saw one really cheap here in Dallas last night.
    The over all plan was to get a 9mm carbine and share fairly cheap ammo with a 9mm handgun I would be using sometimes for CC. But for getting the wife into shooting, and range time the 22lr conversion would be even better.

I use to see SKS's for 100.00 and passed on them, now I regretting it.

Top Bottom