• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverhair

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Ferris, TX
    1. Employee Parking Lot Protection. Employee manuals are written by lawyers who don't care about the employees. They automatically put in the paragraph forbidding guns in the employee's car while in the parking lot. While it is true that most employers also take a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" approach, I would like to see the state override those bans.

2. State Premption Law. Before it happens, stop cities & town from having gun laws more restrictive than the state. Shut that gate before the cattle get out.

3. College Concealed Carry. The reasons are obvious. Criminals don't stop doing criminal stuff just because it is a college campus. So citizens with CHLs should be able to carry there too.

4. Open Carry. With rare exception I would not personally open carry. I do carry concealed just about all the time. It would just be nice to have the option.

What have I missed? Constitution Carry is just too much to hope for anytime soon.
    Guns International

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    1. Employee Parking Lot Protection. Employee manuals are written by lawyers who don't care about the employees. They automatically put in the paragraph forbidding guns in the employee's car while in the parking lot. While it is true that most employers also take a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" approach, I would like to see the state override those bans.

2. State Premption Law. Before it happens, stop cities & town from having gun laws more restrictive than the state. Shut that gate before the cattle get out.

3. College Concealed Carry. The reasons are obvious. Criminals don't stop doing criminal stuff just because it is a college campus. So citizens with CHLs should be able to carry there too.

4. Open Carry. With rare exception I would not personally open carry. I do carry concealed just about all the time. It would just be nice to have the option.

What have I missed? Constitution Carry is just too much to hope for anytime soon.

All good, except OC. BTW, what is "Constitution Carry"? Is it nomenclature the "John Wayne" types are using these days to replace the 2A?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Actually, it's verbage that makes it more easily understood to the layman, I think. Buzzwords often confuse folks - being blunt and plain-spoken often makes it easier to understand what it is you're tryin' to accomplish.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    All good, except OC. BTW, what is "Constitution Carry"? Is it nomenclature the "John Wayne" types are using these days to replace the 2A?

Why is OC not "good" ? Do you mean you think the other items on the list (besides preemption which obviously already exists) will come to pass this session while OC will not?

"Constitutional carry" means unrestricted carry, or carry laws that do not violate the Constitution.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    "Constitutional Carry" is a name for Vermont-style carry laws that allow anybody who is legally qualified to own the gun to carry, open or concealed, without a license, so long as they don't enter places where all carry is forbidden for safety reasons. I don't have a problem with open carry; although, I would never do it. Why give a bad guy a break by letting him know that I am packing? He might just take me out first.

Realistically, I doubt that much will be done this year about any of this. It all depends on two big issues facing the legislature. I suspect that most of their time will be spent on the state budget. That is the 800-pound gorilla this year. Also, what about re-districting? Is that this year or two years from now? Has the Census Bureau released the numbers that they need for that? Those are the big issues, and everything else will have to come after those issues.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Why is OC not "good" ? Do you mean you think the other items on the list (besides preemption which obviously already exists) will come to pass this session while OC will not?

"Constitutional carry" means unrestricted carry, or carry laws that do not violate the Constitution.

OC not good was in reference to the fact it will not be taken up by the legislature this year. That is all. Yes, I do think campus and employer issues will pass this year.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx

Are you saying that absent OC we are not afforded our right to bear arms as prescribed by the 2A? If so, please reference any part of the 2A which discusses OC?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Do we already have state preemption? I googled and didn't find it. I am very pleased if we already do.

Texas Local Government Code

Sec. 229.001. FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES. (a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not affect the authority a municipality has under another law to:
    (1) require residents or public employees to be armed for personal or national defense, law enforcement, or another lawful purpose;
    (2) regulate the discharge of firearms within the limits of the municipality;
    (3) regulate the use of property, the location of a business, or uses at a business under the municipality's fire code, zoning ordinance, or land-use regulations as long as the code, ordinance, or regulations are not used to circumvent the intent of Subsection (a) or Subdivision (5) of this subsection;
    (4) regulate the use of firearms in the case of an insurrection, riot, or natural disaster if the municipality finds the regulations necessary to protect public health and safety;
    (5) regulate the storage or transportation of explosives to protect public health and safety, except that 25 pounds or less of black powder for each private residence and 50 pounds or less of black powder for each retail dealer are not subject to regulation; or
    (6) regulate the carrying of a firearm by a person other than a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, at a:
    (A) public park;
    (B) public meeting of a municipality, county, or other governmental body;
    (C) political rally, parade, or official political meeting; or
    (D) nonfirearms-related school, college, or professional athletic event.
    (c) The exception provided by Subsection (b)(6) does not apply if the firearm is in or is carried to or from an area designated for use in a lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting event and the firearm is of the type commonly used in the activity.
    (d) The exception provided by Subsection (b)(4) does not authorize the seizure or confiscation of any firearm or ammunition from an individual who is lawfully carrying or possessing the firearm or ammunition.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Tell me any segment of the 2A which requires concealed carry.

Neither OC or CC is specified in the 2A. I am not the one making the "jump" that absent OC we are deprived of our 2A rights. The OC enthusiasts, which I suspect you are one, make that claim. But please, if you wish to engage in "verbal judo", please don't answer a question with a question.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    All I want for Christmas is a complete revision to the TX constitution. All personal liberties that do not take away liberties of others are legal.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Complete revision to the TX constitution. All personal liberties that do not take away liberties of others are legal.

Simply a "platitude" which is general in scope and offers nothing concrete as to the 2A to our beloved Constitution.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Tell me any segment of the 2A which requires concealed carry.
    The 2nd amendment also describes Constitutional Carry.
    Reasonable restrictions can be defined as " Not allowing criminals the right to carry".,

The subject , " With a view to prevent crime" also falls under reasonable restrictions in the effort to prevent criminals form committing crime. Restricting people that have done nothing wrong is a Constitutional Rights violation.
    Actually Open Carry is Archived in Texas Law as being the Honest way to Carry. The original effort to regulate wearing of weapons was focused on Concealed Carry. Concealed Carry was known as the choice of criminals. Wisconsin doesnt require a permit for open carry, and They Dont Allow Concealed Carry either!

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Are you saying that absent OC we are not afforded our right to bear arms as prescribed by the 2A? If so, please reference any part of the 2A which discusses OC?
    The second amendment states that our right to bear arms shall not be infringed. Open carry of handguns is bearing arms.

However, to me, "Constitutional carry" would also involve elimination of all criminal empowerment zones and any sort of licensing requirements.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I guess Wisconsin goes on the list of places not to live.
    All of these states I mention, I call them and visit with the State Firearms Directors.
    Wisconsin doesnt allow Concealed Carry, just open carry. People should be able to Conceal Carry if they want to and Wisconsin actually has less to achieve than Texas does. They already have Constitutional Open Carry. Looks like all they need know is Constitutional Carry as a state right that would allow for either option.
    Texas doesnt have anything but Licensed Concealed Carry. $140 for the license, $150 for the class. Not good!
    Shall Issue states are states that issue license with fingerprinting and criminal background checks. They dont require Classes!
    I called Indiana, Washington, Penn., ect... I visited with a couple of county Sheriffs, and also visited with state firearms Directors. No problem with their system other than the normal stuff every state has. DWI's with guns in the car, applications notbeing filled out right,things like that.
    Indiana, Penn, and Washington do not require CHL cources , but yet Texas accepts thier Permits. Texas law makers have accepted those states and allow them to carry in Texas, but Texans seem to need CHL classes, " Please". Its all a money grab!!!
    Indiana, 5 year license is $40, NO CHL CLass!
    Lifetime license is $125 No CHL Class!
    Washington, 5 year license is $55, No CHL Class!
    Penn., 5 year License $50 , No CHL Class!

Texas, $140 for the license, $150 for a class and OTHER STATES GET TO CARRY HERE WITHOUT THE SAME REQUIREMENT! People claiming the State isnt making money off your rights are nothing but complete idiots!

I have more info if you need it. This isnt the good stuff either!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Your definition of a "shall issue state" is incorrect. Texas is a shall issue state.

"A Shall-Issue jurisdiction is one that requires a permit to carry a concealed handgun, but where the granting of such permits is subject only to meeting certain criteria laid out in the law; the granting authority has no discretion in the awarding of the permits. Such laws typically state that a granting authority shall issue a permit if the criteria are met, as opposed to laws in which the authority may issue a permit at their discretion.
    Typical permit requirements include residency, minimum age, submitting fingerprints, passing a computerized instant background check, attending a certified handgun/firearm safety class, and paying a required fee. These requirements vary widely by jurisdiction. Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Washington have no training/safety certification requirement.
    The following are undisputed Shall-Issue states: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina,[8] North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,[9] Texas, Utah,[10] Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.[7] Iowa will also be included January 2011.
    The status of Alabama and Connecticut are in some dispute among gun rights activists. The laws of both states, strictly speaking, would place them in the May-Issue category, as permit issue is by statute discretionary. However, gun rights activists claim that these states are effectively "Shall-Issue" in practice as counties frequently issue permits to applicants who meet certain basic criteria.
    In Connecticut, firearms owners must first apply for a weapons carry permit through the local police department, which is May-Issue or Shall-Issue depending on the town (permits are generally easier to obtain in rural areas than in urban areas). If the permit application is denied by the local police department, the possessor may appeal the denial to the Department of Public Safety Special Licensing and Firearms Unit (SLFU), which must issue a weapons carry permit if the applicant has none of the criteria that would disqualify him or her from holding such permit."

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom