• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Based on recent elections, poll taxes probably would have kept Obama out of office. :) Again, where does a "right" stipulate a fee or non-fee based proposition in regard to 2A? I know, you and the other student consistently avoid answering the questions because it would be "check mate" and you know it. Again, I believe the pro-gun movement is being ill-served by focusing on OC because some may not "qualify" for a CHL, or simply have a degree of inferiority and wish to resort to the "John Wayne syndrome" - look at me, I am a tough guy with a gun for everyone to see and make me feel important...lol

I just showed you, and you talk all around it. It's obvious that you have no interest in debate, just to blather. I have a CHL. I also ride a m/c. I fought for the repeal of the mandatory helmet law - yet always wear one. It wasn't about NOT wearing one - it was about the RIGHT to personal choice. I shouldn't be required to pay to exercise a right - and the Supreme Court of the US has agreed with that premise.
    Either way, I'm done talking about it with you, because it's obvious that you have no interest in listening, only in spouting off. Wonder what Daddy's gonna do when he finds out you've been on his computer!

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    United States Constitution, Amendment II

Again, where does the CC vs. OC debate present itself here? Where in the 2A is "choice" for CC or OC relevant? Again, CC allows me to bear arms. Again, we can purchase firearms. We can carry a firearm in our vehicle if concealed, and we can protect ourselves with firearms in our homes - could one define these circumstances as "to keep"? Just asking. Therefore, OC is not really the issue, but rather where I can bear arms is the infringement. Restricting where I can CC is the infringement, not whether I can be a "cowboy" in public.

I know you're frustrated but keep it "classy". It "ain't" personal.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    All of these states I mention, I call them and visit with the State Firearms Directors.
    State Fireamrs Directors? Can you please name those folks i the states you mentioned inyour post?
    Texas, $140 for the license, $150 for a class and OTHER STATES GET TO CARRY HERE WITHOUT THE SAME REQUIREMENT!
    People claiming the State isnt making money off your rights are nothing but complete idiots!
    Name calling again? Without evidence to support your position, REAL evidence and not your suppositions, you are just guessing. Do you know how much the CHL progam costs vs fees collected?

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Do you know how much the CHL progam costs vs fees collected?

How can Washington State do it for $40 then? Why is Texas so different that we have to pay $140 and they still aren't making enough off of us? It's just a poll tax by another name.

I'd like to see the CHL prices lowered to something a lot more reasonable. Like maybe $20 and no mandatory classes.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    State Fireamrs Directors? Can you please name those folks i the states you mentioned inyour post?
    Texas, $140 for the license, $150 for a class and OTHER STATES GET TO CARRY HERE WITHOUT THE SAME REQUIREMENT! Name calling again? Without evidence to support your position, REAL evidence and not your suppositions, you are just guessing. Do you know how much the CHL progam costs vs fees collected?
    Start from the beginning of the thread and read it again.
    Read every post untill you understand what is being discussed.
    At that point I will be glad to debate anything with you.

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    I'd like to see the CHL prices lowered to something a lot more reasonable. Like maybe $20 and no mandatory classes.

If one is a Senior, it's a great discount in Texas.

I totally Disagree on "no mandatory classes". I have seen women who never have even held a gun decide to get a CCL. They NEED a class badly. If it was not mandatory they might just skip the class out of fear thinking that the one time they may need it they can "suck it up" and perform.

Even some of us who have a lifetime experience with guns can learn something from a CCL class.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

I totally Disagree on "no mandatory classes". I have seen women who never have even held a gun decide to get a CCL. They NEED a class badly. If it was not mandatory they might just skip the class out of fear thinking that the one time they may need it they can "suck it up" and perform.

Even some of us who have a lifetime experience with guns can learn something from a CCL class.

and if they're NOT a senior? There's lots of folks out there that'd love to have a CHL, but the $$$ stops 'em - raising kids and keepin' a roof over their heads takes precendence.

And sorry - while I ENCOURAGE classes, I don't support mandating them, any more than I support mandating m/c helmets (even though I won't ride w/o one). I think that someone's rights require that we respect their choices.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Hell I love classes. If a class involves something I like, im going. The problem is, it should be my decission. I know lots of people with CHL's. All of them I know like to shoot as much as they can. Some of them cant shoot worth a crap no matter what. Hell, even Sage almost got shot by our Governor!
    There are several states that do not require classes and they dont have issues with it. Yesterday I talked to the Firearms Director with the Indiana licensing department. We talked for nearly an hour. He also told me stories of the Colorado permit. He was in LE there during the time they started their concealed permit. Again, they dont require a class either. He said the reason for allowing the permit was crime rate. He told me people were actually lined up outside of sheriffs department all over the state to get the permit. The man had a lot to say about the right to carry and made it very clear that he has not seen negative issues with either states requirements. A five year Indiana license only cost $40, lifetime license is only $125. So how in the hell can anyone argue it cost Texas DPS money when the charge $140 for a 5 year CHL? Stupid claims with no proof is all it is!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Really, Open Carry again? I'm for it but, damn, every thread?

How many posts does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop, I mean, to turn ANY thread into an Open Carry thread:

1.....2......3.......... just 3 posts

My wishlist:
    1) All the usual parking lot, campus carry, etc......
    2) A push for more firearm training (encouragement not requirement)

I'm thinking Eddie Eagle type classes to elementary school kids, and maybe more prominent elective shooting classes for high schools. I'm not sure that many parents would object to a program that teaches kids to "not touch it" and "tell an adult," but also have an opt out letter go home to the parents. My little brothers went out and shoot clays and .22 as a school outing in high school, but then again it's very "rural" and "conservative" at Medina Valley.

If we focused more on education, safety and exposure then I think many more people would be comfortable with guns. I understand all of the "rights" arguments and I agree that popular opinion shouldn't matter when it comes to "rights," but how much easier would it be to have those conversations with people who weren't afraid of guns in the first place. Besides, it could also save lives every year if there was more training on proper maintenance, safety and use.

I'm sure there's good ideas on training for adults as well. It's just that adults don't have a centralized "training center" we're all putting up tax dollars for....or do they? Maybe it could be a requirement for colleges accepting tax $$ to have so many free classes a year on gun safety?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Hmmm, or maybe wave state sales tax on firearms purchases for those willing to go through a safety education course...the creative juices are flowing.

Point is, there's plenty of ways to encourage it without mandating it. It's just takes some good ideas and brainstorming.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    CC of handguns is bearing arms. I have a CHL so is my right to bear arms being infringed? I also can purchase firearms. Without a CHL, I can have a firearm concealed in my vehicle and inside my home.

I could argue that restricting where I can CC is infringing upon my right, but that is not the issue here.

Your opinion as to elimination of zones and licensing is strictly your opinion, not supported by the 2A.

As I said, open carry is a method of bearing arms that some prefer. Restricting this method of carry is an infringement on our right to bear arms.

School is in session. Next? ;)
    You're either 16 years old or you have serious mental illness.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Your opinion as to elimination of zones and licensing is strictly your opinion, not supported by the 2A.

Again you are incorrect. "Shall not be infringed" is the operative term. Creating zones where people are not allowed to bear arms is certainly an infringement.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Again you are incorrect. "Shall not be infringed" is the operative term. Creating zones where people are not allowed to bear arms is certainly an infringement.
    Some people have a hard time with this one little word, " Infringement".
    They dont understand the meaning of it.
    in·fringe·ment

noun \in-ˈfrinj-mənt\
    Definition of INFRINGEMENT

: the act of infringing : violation

: an encroachment or trespass on a right or privilege

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

No government or person should decide the worthiness of someone to exercise their natural rights.

The classic definition of "natural rights" are "life, liberty, and property".

Life: Personal Security, I have the right to protect myself from being killed, injured or abused.

Liberty: To move around, congregate with others, communicate, express my opinion, keep and bare arms.

Property: To own property, tools to make a living, arms to defend myself.

To block any of those basic rights with a tax or requirements is unconstitutional.

The qualifications to get a CHL might as well be being white male and handsome as anything that burdens a persons freedoms with time, money and arbitrary learning is bias in some manner that doesn't equally protect our freedoms.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    No government or person should decide the worthiness of someone to exercise their natural rights.

This is a difficult assertion to make. Should violent felons released on bail be allowed to bare arms? Should individual citizens own nuclear weapons. If you accept these infringements on an individual's right to bare arms are you not judging worthiness? Are you not accessing reasonableness?

Somewhere, somehow, any government will have to force certain actions of it's citizens. The only way to have no "mandatory" actions under government is to have Anarchy.

That's why in the 5th and 14th amendments where they talk about life, liberty and property they also speak to due process. Good government should strive to be as free and unencumbered as possible, but still must be funded and provide order. I'm not sure the definition of "reasonable" has been defined through common law yet, after Heller.

Top Bottom