• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I can understand not having the buying power of Academy, but you should have the buying power of Dury's or be able to be close to GT's. My local gun store smokes Nagels and he is a two man operation. After getting sticker shock....more like sticker "stroke" (twice the box store price?) on 5 or 6 visits and not being able to get anyone to answer a question with more than one word I opted to go elsewhere.
    Bad prices and bad service... what more can you ask for?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Nagel's is the closest thing going to a gun show every day where there is all kind of junk on tables, in nooks and crannies, and you have to wade through the chaff to find a good deal.

Rock 'on Nagel's.

I don't get there often, but have never left unhappy.

Be well.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    There's nothing at Nagels that I can't wait 3-4 days shipping for. Being a younger guy, they've always treated me like shit.

I have nothing but good things to say about Powderhorn, they treated me very well...although I find most SA gun stores to be overpriced anyway.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Look guys....NO local store is gonna be cheaper than shipping it in - the local store has to have a physical presence (and ya'll want it "nice", so that adds to the cost as well)<G> and personnel. The internet store can have Big Bertha pickin' her nose at the screen as she enters your order, go out to the overstacked stockroom, pull the order an' put it out the door a LOT cheaper than a manned showroom. That's just life - and frankly, every time you mail order to save a few bucks, you make it that much harder for the locals to survive.

Note - I am NOT gonna defend WAY overpriced stuff - that IS dumb IMO. Just recognize that having a physical presence has a cost. It's like folks that call me, having bought a water softener online and wanting me to come install/repair it. Nope - ain't gonna happen. Go back to the place that was SO much cheaper, and have THEM come fix or install it. Funny part is, most of 'em find by the time they find someone to install it (with an IQ at least approachin' the 100's) they end up spendin' about the same amount of money - an' if something goes wrong in warranty, they'll still hafta pay the labor to troubleshoot and replace the parts. Anyways, I digress....got something else to bring up, but gonna do it w/Nagels via message first and give 'em a chance to address it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, I was GOING to contact 'em directly....but there's no email/other contact info in their profile....

How 'bout it, Bob - contact me, we need to talk!!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's not about price, I've always said I prefer to support local firearms businesses even if it means spending a little more. For example, I always buy ammo either at Alamo Ammo or at the gun shows. It is the only way we can keep our sport and those who support it around for future generations.

But I am seeing a trend here and that is of poor customer service. Many have stated they have been ignored or treated poorly at Nagel's, and there is absolutely no excuse for that! As I have bored some of you with the story before, my first experience at the Powderhorn was negative and it took a long time before I would step foot in that business again. They have since redeemed themselves, but they lost a lot of my business thanks to one rude employee who didn't know how to treat a customer.

And as many of you know, I refuse to set foot on the Bullethole. I know many people who shoot there, and who love it; but I had several bad experiences at that range and it finally got to the point where I decided they just must not like my money. There is no excuse for allowing unsafe practices at a range, and if customers report something to the management I fully expect them to take action. The "management" at the Bullethole refused to do so when we witnessed several individual being not just unsafe but blatantly dangerous on their pistol range. Fine, I'll drive the extra ten miles and go to another range where they take things like safety a bit more serious.

The clutter can be easily resolved with some effort, but the poor customer service is something that will need to be addressed before this shop's reputation recovers. I understand that not every customer can be catered to, and that some are more difficult than others; but this is not a secondhand rumor in my book, I have experienced this firsthand myself.

I do hope the management at Nagel's takes this feedback seriously and works to correct it. I in no way wish that shop to lose business or close, I would much prefer that they become a vibrant and valuable part of the local shooting community. But I am sure I am not the only one who will not tolerate being treated poorly or excessively charged when there are other alternatives. I don't want to have to order my guns, ammo and accessories online, I prefer to shop in person and actually touch and feel what I am buying; but if that is the destiny of the firearms industry in San Antonio, so be it. We'll always have gun shows to "window shop" as much as we like!

Cheers! M2

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Look guys....NO local store is gonna be cheaper than shipping it in - the local store has to have a physical presence (and ya'll want it "nice", so that adds to the cost as well)<G> and personnel. The internet store can have Big Bertha pickin' her nose at the screen as she enters your order, go out to the overstacked stockroom, pull the order an' put it out the door a LOT cheaper than a manned showroom. That's just life - and frankly, every time you mail order to save a few bucks, you make it that much harder for the locals to survive.

Note - I am NOT gonna defend WAY overpriced stuff - that IS dumb IMO. Just recognize that having a physical presence has a cost. It's like folks that call me, having bought a water softener online and wanting me to come install/repair it. Nope - ain't gonna happen. Go back to the place that was SO much cheaper, and have THEM come fix or install it. Funny part is, most of 'em find by the time they find someone to install it (with an IQ at least approachin' the 100's) they end up spendin' about the same amount of money - an' if something goes wrong in warranty, they'll still hafta pay the labor to troubleshoot and replace the parts. Anyways, I digress....got something else to bring up, but gonna do it w/Nagels via message first and give 'em a chance to address it.

I totally agree with you on that. My father owns a small business and I hate when people drop the "We can get it at Walmart cheaper" line. (I was just saying in general because we're in a reccession and i'm poor)

BUT, we bust our ass for customer service to ensure they feel welcomed, appreciated and valued. Never once have I gotten this at Nagels.

Major - You are spot on with bullethole. I typically get a bay to avoid all the fools in the pistol range. Can't stand the idea of shooting next to the noobs with a full auto!

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Stores can get somewhat close to the interweb dealers..I just had it happen with Oldag Guns. They got my XDsc for only 15 clams more than I would have paid with Buds. No haggling, no back and forth, tit for tat, nothing. He looked it up, gave me the price and I paid the man. Last price I got from Nagels on a used SW 5906 was 20 clams less than the NEW MSRP when they were in production. 20 clams off the MSRP on a used pistol that has been out of production for closing in on 10 years is pretty over the top. They can be had for 1/2 that price in excellent condition to near perfect condition most anywhere else. I'm not saying I won't ever go there..I most definitely will. The reloading stock has gotten me out of binds many times. I just won't buy any firearms there most likely.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I actually prefer brick and mortar gun shops over buying online, given the opportunity to handle and inspect the item before purchasing it; and as I've stated I don't mind paying a little extra for the privilege. What I don't like is when the price is exorbitantly higher, which results in my walking away. They need to make a living as well, and I understand that. I also know the economy is tough and I like to support local businesses, but I won't be ripped off in the process.

The bottom line is that any business cannot expect loyalty from their customers until they show some loyalty to them. If I am treated well, I will go out of my way to not only frequent a business but also let all my friends know about it. Conversely, if treated poorly I will not only avoid the place but will also advise others to do the same. I much prefer the situation to be the former, as it is more of a "win-win" for all involved.

Cheers! M2

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you want an example of what good customer service is then visit Discount Tire. They do such a great job that I don't even price check other places for new tires anymore.

(btw...I don't work for them or have any incentive to recommend them except for their excellent customer service.)

KaliJuan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    $800.00 for a WASR 10/63 is DEFINITELY OVER PRICED, no Blu-ray player included, no HD TV, no Romanian Cam Model to clean gun for you. That in my opinion is insulting. I have seen them priced that much in that shop not even 2 years ago. That reminds me of the vendor at Texas Gun Show that had one for $1,000.00 and he looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him if the barrel was gold lined. I too will support local business over internet, but damn, I am not down with having to take that kind of beating on the wallet. And another thing, $600.00 for an SKS ? Really? Need to check Current Blue book values please. Thank you.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    $800.00 for a WASR 10/63 is DEFINITELY OVER PRICED, no Blu-ray player included, no HD TV, no Romanian Cam Model to clean gun for you. That in my opinion is insulting. I have seen them priced that much in that shop not even 2 years ago. That reminds me of the vendor at Texas Gun Show that had one for $1,000.00 and he looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him if the barrel was gold lined. I too will support local business over internet, but damn, I am not down with having to take that kind of beating on the wallet. And another thing, $600.00 for an SKS ? Really? Need to check Current Blue book values please. Thank you.
    Perfect example of them trying to rip people's head off at the cash register. Both guns cited can be bought new for around half of the Nagel's price from countless vendors. Hey if you need some funky little part they have or you like digging through the junk piles more power to you, but it appears that Nagel's prefers to make all their money on one gun sale instead of a modest amount on numerous sales.
    The business model they use is completely up to them, just not my cup of tea.

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    Thank you to those who have supported Nagel Gun Shop, Inc., over the years, as well as to those who are supporting us on this blog. We would appreciate any issues being brought to the attention of management or the owners, as we cannot correct a problem if we do not know about it. Also, we would appreciate it if people could understand that the national "box" stores have national buying power and they can usually sell an item for way below our cost. We are a privately-owned gun store - the largest privately-owned gun store in South Texas - and do not have the same costs as those other stores. Please be aware that we are in the process of making changes that take time and your continued support is appreciated.
    I bought my Kahr CW9 at your store recently. The lady in the knife (front of store) section was very, very rude to me. When I wanted to purchase a few more items it was like I was disturbing her... "I'll ring you up only if every item has a price sticker." WTF?

So, I went to an older gentleman and he was than glad to help me. The fella that sold me the Kahr seemed impatient with me while I ask to see various 9mm pistols. I do like the fact y'all are well stocked with items that normally requre online purchase.

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    If you want an example of what good customer service is then visit Discount Tire. They do such a great job that I don't even price check other places for new tires anymore.

(btw...I don't work for them or have any incentive to recommend them except for their excellent customer service.)
    Off topic?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409

Same for me since they set up shop in San Antonio.

No better warranty in the business if you buy their "certificates," and you don't even have to buy the tires at their store!

Be well.

Top Bottom