• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    M2, what you saw was in part a reaction on the part of Nagel's to the discussions held on this board. One thing, though....in terms of being "profitable and respectable".....with all due respect - they are. As I've stated before, my family's known them for many, many years - as have many SA families. They're kind of like Wayne was - you had to understand him to really appreciate 'em. Same there.
    Capitol Armory ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    TRN, I was speaking in terms of their reputation. As many on here have stated, they are not held in the highest regard by many in the local community because of the treatment/attitude towards customers experienced.

As for Wayne, he too was a great guy but left a lot to be considered customer service-wise. I heard too many stories from people that I referred to his shop of basically being ignored while he was engaged with the group of folks that used to hang out in his shop. I also witnessed this on occasion myself. In his shop it definitely made a difference if he recognized you. Still, I always felt it was the best place to go in SA especially for 'smithing. Wayne was an expert on firearms but his business savvy could have used some improving if you know what I mean.

It is not up to the customers "understanding" the retailers, it's the other way around. People spend their money in places where 1) they feel they are getting a decent deal and 2) where they are treated respectfully as customers.

Any business that fails to recognize the impact that a bad experience in their establishment can have on their bottom line is doomed to failure. I'm glad Nagel's is beginning to "see the light," but I still think they have a ways to go. Still, they are much farther ahead than stores like Texas Thunder who survive on the ignorance of their customers. I think that store is closer to folding than any other in the city...

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    Visited Dury's Gun Shop today. I was very impressed. Although, wish they were open longer than 0900-1300 on Saturdays, as well as wish they were open on Mondays. Nonetheless, the staff were very friendly, and many handguns to choose from, for sale.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Don't cost nothin' to walk in a gun store and look around.

Most will negotiate the final price.

Nagel's is good people, and I've walked when I thought I should have got a better price.

I go back time and again, because I know I'll find a deal just like the blind squirrel who eventually finds that acorn.

Be well.

3AXBAT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Nagel's is out of my way, but I make a point of going in there a couple times a year. Crowded doesn't begin to describe it, but I like that better than bare shelves. Prices I have seen are all over the map, high and low... better to say high and fair. I got a Ballard-rifled Marlin 39A there several years ago I'm pleased with, and eventually there will be more.

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    Went there this weekend and was happy to see the owner walking around. Had my girlfriend with me she wanted to see what I wanted for Xmas... Shes a keeper.. while we were looking around I saw a new in the box FEG .380 with a really good price on it, the owner walked by and asked if we needed any help.. well long story short we talked for about a hour and a half about class III stuff and how they are going to try to start selling it soon... and gave us a better price on that little pistol great guy very very nice person! I would buy a gun from him any day.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Went there this weekend and was happy to see the owner walking around. Had my girlfriend with me she wanted to see what I wanted for Xmas... Shes a keeper.. while we were looking around I saw a new in the box FEG .380 with a really good price on it, the owner walked by and asked if we needed any help.. well long story short we talked for about a hour and a half about class III stuff and how they are going to try to start selling it soon... and gave us a better price on that little pistol great guy very very nice person! I would buy a gun from him any day.

Glad to hear it (and yes, your girlfriend is a keeper!). I do hope this is the new trend at Nagel's, as I would love to see more comments such as these versus what's been said in the past. Apparently the owner "gets it" and is working to improve things at his store. Good on him!

Cheers! M2

Brit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    New Braunfels
    I probably won't ever go back to Nagels due to: Poor customer service and extremely inflated pricing.

copied from my post in the "Be that guy" thread.

I had the same thing happen to me at Nagels in San Antonio. The counter clerk was speaking with a customer about their carry weapons. Customer pulls his carry piece from his IWB holster, hands it straight to the clerk without clearing or checking it, who begins examining it with the muzzle pointed straight at me. I left immediately, but in retrospect, I wish I would have crawled up his ass and lived there until he understood how dangerous his actions were.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    really annoying considering it's friggin' texas.

"Considering it's Texas"? Texas has some of the most absurd gun laws I've run across.You can't open carry a pistol, but you CAN open carry a rifle. Your only option for carrying a pistol is licensed concealed carry. Your ONLY option is to pay extortion money to the state to get your right to bear arms partially restored. I can be trusted to buy a pistol - several times, but can't be trusted to carry it? I mean, seriously...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I dunno, I've been to a lot of states with a lot worse gun laws than Texas; but on the other hand, one would expect our gun laws to be some of the best in the nation...

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    "Considering it's Texas"? Texas has some of the most absurd gun laws I've run across.You can't open carry a pistol, but you CAN open carry a rifle. Your only option for carrying a pistol is licensed concealed carry. Your ONLY option is to pay extortion money to the state to get your right to bear arms partially restored. I can be trusted to buy a pistol - several times, but can't be trusted to carry it? I mean, seriously...

IH-35 runs long, long stretch NORTH... just saying

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    I have been on the fence with Nagel's time and again. I've gone in there and been ignored. Not just ignored, totally disregarded. Been stopping in there about every trip I make to SA. So, all told I stop by 2 or 3 times a year. It was the same everytime. I'm sure my appearance was the issue. Look like a homeless guy, just much cleaner. I asked on various visits to see a weapon and the answer was standard, "Someone will be right with you". Not a word after that. Usually the clerk that would tell me that was just BS'ing with another customer or regular. It became a joke with me and my wife. I'd tell her that I went to look around while she shopped at Northstar. She'd ask "Did you buy anything?" My answer, "No, they would'nt wait on me". Last 10 or so trips she'd ask, "You want to shop with me or are you hoping to be waited on at Nagel's?" Always with a snide smirk or a chuckle. I guess I was / am a glutton for punishment.

I posted before that one of my last trips my Son was with me. He was waited on hand and foot by a lady in the knife department. In fact she sharpened a knife for him and did'nt even charge him. Surprised the hell out of me that he was even waited on. I began to think that maybe I'll continue to stop in, just that I'll take my Son with me if it's a foot in the door for service.

Well, this weekend, the "foot" (my Son) and I went to Nagel's. We were looking at the gun safes and my Son says, "Look, Dad this one's like ours." Low and behold I was waited on not by one, but two, and then a third employee and one point or another in our visit. I was even offered a discount on an few items and ended up with something I had been searching for for a while, just had not found it a decent price.
    Bought a Ruger MK II .22 Govt. Target Model for $ 300. Price was good, not great, but MK II's are getting harder to find in good condition.
    I'm going back to SA this weekend and am going to haggle with them on a rifle I was looking at.

I will say this. This weekend we spent about 3 hours in there. I was observing the interaction of clerks and customers. There was something very different about the service vs. prior visits. Keep it up guys. You've made another customer. (If you'll tend to me even if my "foot" is not with me).

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX

That's nothing compared to my home state of California.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

Blackxfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ft Sam
    Nagles has been decent to me, I have waited around for other customers, but I would want the same personal attention when it's my turn.

Texas gun laws seem to be pretty liberal. In MA we mostly have to shop from the AG's approved list of makes and models.(Sucks for the dealers)
    No high cap mags above 10 rounds unless you're lucky enough, like me, to have an "unrestricted" class A permit.
    The permits are first evaluated by the local Police Chief and then sent to the State Police for final approval. If you have pissed off the local PD, even without a record, they can make it difficult or impossible for you to get a permit. No bypassing the local Police Chief that I have seen.

The gun choices here are plentiful and the state seems to be willing to issue permits more freely here. Besides I have lived in "open carry" states and always wanted to carry concealed, seems we always want what we can't have.
    Appreciate what you have here boys!!

Sand Hills

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Seguin
    I went to Nagel's today when I had some time to kill. I was asked three or four times by different people if I needed help. That was a switch from the last time I was there (months ago).

Their new gun prices seem high to me, but they have a great collection of used firearms and knives.

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    went back to nagels this week to take the pistol my girl friend bought... it was a lemon.. I shot 3 rounds and it broke the trigger spring. They gave us a full refund CASH in hand they were very very nice

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Defective guns do not a Gun Shop make.

I've always been happy at Nagel's.

You got your money back, and I'm happy with a Leopold Scope not to be found at the gun show or any other place.

Be well.

Top Bottom