Gun Zone Deals

Need advise on buying my first shotgun (for home defense)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    While the "racking" sound of an 870 has generally been considered an intimating feature of pump shotguns - staring down the barrels of something like this old '58 Stevens 311A 16GA 18" "Coach" gun can often cause intruders to "adios" the premises post haste......
    upload_2018-3-12_11-29-40.jpeg

This one cost me $100, 6 years ago.
    Gun Zone Deals

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    You and Joe Biden.

My MIL wanted help buying a shotgun.

I asked her a few questions, paraphrased below:

Q: What do you plan on doing with it?
    A: If someone breaks in, I want to make that noise to scare them away.

Q: And if that doesn't work?
    A: I'll shoot it into the air to scare them away.

Q: And if that doesn't work, are you willing to shoot them?
    A: No, I could never do that.

Clearly, owning a shotgun, or any gun, isn't a good solution for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    So you feel it's better not to give her any chance at all?
    Maybe she should live in a school.

She could also get shot, when she might not have been shot had she not been wielding a shotgun.

Not sure the pro's outweight the con's here.

Best answer, get a dog with a good bark and growl.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    In all seriousness, I'm of the opinion that a gun's purpose is to stop a threat by threat of force.

If one isn't willing to follow-up that threat with the force of the weapon (gun or otherwise), then you're going to have it used against you.

No one teaches defensive "firing into the air", and for good reason.

This is akin to arming her with a baseball bat that she has no intention of using, just the hope that the mere appearance of the bat will protect her from harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm sure there has been many cases of threats fleeing from a shot on the air. That being said, I certainly wouldn't do that if the threat is also armed.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If they don't she id about to arm her attacker with a shotgun.
    So you feel it's better not to give her any chance at all?
    Maybe she should live in a school.
    Younggun is absolutely correct. If she isn't ready to shoot an attacker then she is just holding something else they can steal.

The sad thing is nobody truly knows what they will do until put in that situation. And then it is usually too late to change your mind.

She may as well have a starter pistol or cap gun.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    He's absolutely correct.

But are the odds greater, that an individual would continue attempting to get inside after she fired a shotgun inside (with pellets removed), or less?

Crusader_73

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I am a CHL holder and have 2 9MM pistols in my home, so I have some shooting experience.

I am thinking of buying a Shotgun to add to my "arsenal". I have NO experience with shotguns and need some help to decide what to buy. Also, this is something that I would want my wife to be able to handle if needed.

What gauge?
    Length?
    Brand?
    What type of shells?
    Will indoor ranges allow one to shoot a SG?

Thanks for your help

I have an older Remington 870. If you are buying new, buy the Mossberg 500. I agree on the 18” barrel, but not on the loads. I keep 7-1/2 game shot in mine. Up to 30 feet it is lethal. Unlike buckshot, it is not likely to penetrate 2 layers of drywall and injure or kill someone in the next room. I prefer 12 gauge for the cost of the shells. My wife is tall, but petite and she is able to handle the 2-3/4, non-magnum load quite easily. Not all 20 gauges have less kick. It’s highly dependent on the make and manufacture of the shotgun. I would definitely buy a pump action. Racking the chamber has a very distinct sound and if an intruder hears it, they are likely to flee without a shot fired. No one, no matter who they think they are, truly wants to kill another human being unless they are faced with no other choice. Deterrence is the key. Good luck and God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have an older Remington 870. If you are buying new, buy the Mossberg 500. I agree on the 18” barrel, but not on the loads. I keep 7-1/2 game shot in mine. Up to 30 feet it is lethal. Unlike buckshot, it is not likely to penetrate 2 layers of drywall and injure or kill someone in the next room. I prefer 12 gauge for the cost of the shells. My wife is tall, but petite and she is able to handle the 2-3/4, non-magnum load quite easily. Not all 20 gauges have less kick. It’s highly dependent on the make and manufacture of the shotgun. I would definitely buy a pump action. Racking the chamber has a very distinct sound and if an intruder hears it, they are likely to flee without a shot fired. No one, no matter who they think they are, truly wants to kill another human being unless they are faced with no other choice. Deterrence is the key. Good luck and God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way I would recommend racking the slide in the presence of an intruder. If the intruder is armed, that can well start them shooting in the direction of the sound.

If they can see you, the sight of the shotgun is as much deterrence as you are going to achieve. If they cannot see you, you have given away your position with the sound of racking.

Racking slides is the stuff of Hollywood.

And sadly, you are completely wrong about no one truly wanting to kill another human being. History has revealed plenty of psychopaths who kill for kicks.

If someone has broken into my home, I am not in a "deterrence" mode. I am going to stop a threat to my family as quickly as possible.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I disagree. When entering a building at night to search for a burglar that's the first thing done. You would be surprised how many times there is a yell from somewhere in the building about giving up. Old school police work.

Sorry, but anyone who carries a weapon that's not in condition 1 is a moron. Racking the slide would just eject a live shell.

Top Bottom