Gun Zone Deals

Need advise on buying my first shotgun (for home defense)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Earmuffs of some type are a good idea. Any kind of loud noise in an enclosed space like a house is bad enough, gunfire even worse.
    Gun Zone Deals

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Electronic muffs don't prevent you from hearing the bad guy, or whispers from a SO.
    Too true.

In fact, they help lots of unexpected ways, too. When my neighbors daughter got out of prison in Arizona and moved in next door, the electronic muffs helped my sister understand their screaming arguments. They also helped me know when the shooting started and I should dial 911.

StamblinRanger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2019
    Burnet, TX
    A used Mossberg 590 police is usually pretty cheap, like $250 ish. They aren't pretty, been kicked around a bit and scuffed, but to me, that just adds some "patina" and make them more desirable. They are pretty much bomb proof and hold plenty of ammo.

Bertgamble

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland, Tx
    I was in your shoes not long ago and I went with the Benneli M4. It is awesome and will make you a better shooter. Felt recoil is very reasonable, and even a novice can get multiple shots on target faster than most experienced people using a pump.

I went to a basic and advanced shotgun courses in one week. Over 1000 rounds fired, with most being buck or slug and my shoulder was fine.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I have a 870 I use for hunting, and a Maverick 88 12 gauge with a 20 inch barrel. Holds 7+1 reduced recoil 00 Remington.

it’s a 200$ shotgun, no frills, can’t break it unless your dumb, and no accessories are needed. If you want to trick it out there is a ton of parts online. But it serves it’s one purpose, to be ready to defend the house, that’s it. It shoots just fine with 00 and slug at 20 yards.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have a 870 I use for hunting, and a Maverick 88 12 gauge with a 20 inch barrel. Holds 7+1 reduced recoil 00 Remington.

it’s a 200$ shotgun, no frills, can’t break it unless your dumb, and no accessories are needed. If you want to trick it out there is a ton of parts online. But it serves it’s one purpose, to be ready to defend the house, that’s it. It shoots just fine with 00 and slug at 20 yards.
    You should buy an Opsol Adapter ( about $17) takes about 3 seconds to install and lets your mossy shoot the 1.75” shells flawlessly. Should be able to get about 12 or 13 +1 in the gun with it.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    I hunt with an 1100 but bought another that was rough;bought a 20" barrel and had it all black finished to match, threw away the plug. Don't need to worry with working a slide under high stress conditions.
    my2cents

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    An AR-15 is the best home defense weapon. It's superior to a handgun not only because it's much easier to shoot accurately and creates a much larger temporary and permanent wound cavity, but 5.56/223 actually has less overpenetration than your typical 9mm, 40, and 45 hollow points. Shotgun buckshots will go through your wall and your neighbor's wall like paper, kicks like a mule, holds less rounds, and has about the same round for round effectiveness of a rifle round.

Get an AR-15 and some polymer tipped law enforcement 223 self defense rounds if you're serious about home defense.

Do a quick 2 minute google search to convince yourself.

heavygunner8,

While I'm a 12 gauge riot-gun (loaded with #4 Buck shot) fan, my VERY PETITE lady agrees with you 100%.
    (She is <60" tall barefooted & depending on the cut, wears a size 0-2 Petite in a dress. She simply does not have the upper body strength to handle a shotgun, so she "adopted" my Remington Model 7615 pump-carbine, keeps it nearby & loaded with 10 HP rounds. = She is DEADLY accurate with the little carbine out well beyond 200M.)
    Note: On the day that she went & liberated the little carbine out of the gun-safe, she said, "I'm adopting this little rifle, as it's just my size. You have so many guns that you won't even miss this one." - She paused & then said, "I know that there's something that you're dying to go buy at GT, so this is a good reason to go get whatever it is."
    (Gotta' LOVE a lady who says things like that.)

I feel sorry for the person, who attempts to harm Nathan Paul, my lady and/or invades our home, as she WILL SHOOT TO KILL & W/O HESITATION.
    (Sicilian women likely invented the terms VENDETTA & VENGENCE, as they are SLOW to forgive & NEVER forget.)

As a friend of mine on another forum said, "I'd sooner invade a den of rattlesnakes than threaten to harm a baby, with "Mama" at home, especially if she is armed."

yours, satx

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    mini shells are fun, but i personally find them to have a slightly less pleasant recoil impulse than standard low recoil buckshot.

i don't know about the new federal shells, but the aguila shells are shorter because the wad has been cut down, and provides no shock absorption. i can't remember the pattern size, but i wasn't very impressed, even compared to cheap S&B 00 buck.

reliability was ok, but i am hesitant to trust a piece of rubber that is just stuck in the loading port, not without making totally sure it will stay put.

i prefer an AR for home defense, less recoil, more capacity, more accurate, easier to operate, etc, but if you must use a shotgun, it doesn't get any better than federal flite control.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge-ammo/50-round-brick-12-gauge-federal-low-recoil-8-pellet-buckshot-flitecontrol-wad-

i prefer the #1 buck load, but its hard to find, and 00 8 pellet is more than good enough

Top Bottom