• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    One thing I did not ask is where is this area? Is it in Texas? if so, you can set up a feeder to throw corn or protien feed and have a much higher success rate. If you are in a state that does not allow feeders, then a food plot might be the solution.

If your shots are 500 feet and not 500 yards, and decent .308 will suffice.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Its near Colorado City Tx, and lots of Quail, Deer, Wild Hogs
    Goat, Bear, I could go on & on...
    we have a creek & water pond on this property,and the only
    other water close by is around 20 miles, so we get lots of wild
    life coming to this water spot...
    Last year I seen the biggest Buck Ive ever seen, maybe 14 point Buck?
    Id love to have a shot at this big Buck, he'd be mounted on my wall IF!!!

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Hey Winn, glad to see you have a similar sense of humor. ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thanks Pete
    I say enjoy life before its to late, and humor is what makes life fun...
    PS... just looked outside (Bedford Tx) and ice covered front yard

patmann90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    I have the perfect set-up for what your shooting. I usually do 800 yard shots and everything in-between; with my Remington 700 7 Remington Magnum. Heres the specs:
    l_35422ec91176408ca19750741505e2dd.png

8-32 X 44mm scope
    Free floated barrel.
    Hogue over molded stock.
    Harris bipod

etc, etc, etc.... Tell me if your interested. I'm giving her away pretty cheap!

jracca

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    DFW
    that's a long shot for deer, any shift in wind or unaccounted for wind will result in a signficant shift in impact at 500+ yards on just about any projectile.

If you are set on doing it try 300 win mag or larger and practice, practice, practice.

I imagine wind can be a factor on a mountain.

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I have the perfect set-up for what your shooting. I usually do 800 yard shots and everything in-between; with my Remington 700 7 Remington Magnum. Heres the specs:
    l_35422ec91176408ca19750741505e2dd.png

8-32 X 44mm scope
    Free floated barrel.
    Hogue over molded stock.
    Harris bipod

etc, etc, etc.... Tell me if your interested. I'm giving her away pretty cheap!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sure, please email me at: winnracing@sbcglobal.net
    If I dont buy, I have 2 buddys looking for the same rifle & scope I am
    So let me know how much your giving it away for, and what part of the world your in...

Thanks

Ron

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    The wind is the least of our worries !!! Its the 37 Beers each killed the night before that is gonna be an issue to me!!! But, Ive seen it done in the area we built our hunting blind, and also Ive seen a lot of missed shots from the same area, so Im hoping with a little homework & practice one of us can make the shot & bring home Mr Big Buck...!!!
    But I really appreciate the recommended weapons a few has told me about...!!!

ColdDeadHands

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Hello, Im new so let me know what Im doing wrong...!!!
    But, Im looking to buy a rifle & scope that will take down deer, wild hog & maybe a turkey !
    But the rifle I need, and scope... I need to be able to hit my target from between 400 & 600 yards.
    Ive looked at a few .308 but really would like other options on a caliber of rifle as well as a scope.
    I hope to have this rifle & scope in my hands in the next 30 to 60 days, so let me know what you think would be my best purchase for both items I need.

Savage Arms Model 10FP
    I'd go for one of these or a different model that has the AccuTrigger from Savage. Their Trigger is pretty nice. The linked model is next on my list.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    The wind is the least of our worries !!! Its the 37 Beers each killed the night before that is gonna be an issue to me!!! But, Ive seen it done in the area we built our hunting blind, and also Ive seen a lot of missed shots from the same area, so Im hoping with a little homework & practice one of us can make the shot & bring home Mr Big Buck...!!!
    But I really appreciate the recommended weapons a few has told me about...!!!

Just make sure the 37 beers are left back home when you are out. Obviously I see the humor in your statement, but nobody here advocates anybody using a firearm under the influence. That's JUST what the anti-gun crowd would love to see!

That's just plain stupid. I'm sure you know that, right?

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    This thread is discussing rifle setups for a long range shot. Keep it on topic.

Hey Alan, I went and looked at a Sako TRG42, HOLY SMOKE...!
    Theses things are amazing...! as for a ball park shot of 500 yards, this would be a close up shot for these rifles, the sales person said I could set up for a 1500 yard shot with this style of rifle, Easy...!
    The reason I want a quality rifle is because everyone allowed at this location only likes 1 or 2 shots fired, dont wanna scare off any wild life if possible...!!!
    And this TRG style of rifle WILL work for what I need, not to mention the crazy wicked look of theses weapons...!!! I mean it, all of the Sako TRG rifles looked great...
    I really appreciate your help, this is why I joined TGT, and it did help...

Thanks Alan...!!!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    the sales person said I could set up for a 1500 yard shot with this style of rifle, Easy...!

There is no arguing that the Sako TRG rifles are amazing, but your sales person is an idiot. Even Carlos Hathcock would agree that any 1000+ yard shot is NEVER "easy."

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There is no arguing that the Sako TRG rifles are amazing, but your sales person is an idiot. Even Carlos Hathcock would agree that any 1000+ yard shot is NEVER "easy."

Carlos killed people with headshots from 1000+ yards with a Jenkins .25 Auto.

That being said, the TRG-42 in .300 Win Mag would be a pot shot at 1500 yards. The .338 Lapua Magnum would be capable.

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Carlos killed people with headshots from 1000+ yards with a Jenkins .25 Auto.

That being said, the TRG-42 in .300 Win Mag would be a pot shot at 1500 yards. The .338 Lapua Magnum would be capable.

HeHe... Im just looking for a hit between 400 & 600 yards, and I know a sales person is just that, wanna sale something person...!
    But Im looking at spending around $4500 for the rifle I need with a scope, and spending that kinda monies, I am doing a Lot of homework on the purchase...
    The only reason I didnt walk away with the sako TRG42 300 is because the Sako TRG .338 with a Phosphate stock, 27 1/8" barrel, & muzzle break and bipod setting there looked pretty sweet, and you guys with wifes know very well, you dont buy something like this without her blessing !!!
    Im not looking to be shot with whatever I bring home...!!!

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Just make sure the 37 beers are left back home when you are out. Obviously I see the humor in your statement, but nobody here advocates anybody using a firearm under the influence. That's JUST what the anti-gun crowd would love to see!

That's just plain stupid. I'm sure you know that, right?

Yes Sir I do understand your thoughts, and I dont drink and drive either...!!!
    One of the persons that helped build this hunting location is the chief of Police around my home town, but when we all stop for the end of the day, Yeah, we plain on enjoying this building we all built...!!!

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Buy a Remington 700 5R and mount a Leupold VX-III 20+x scope on it. That's about as cost effective as it gets.

We went to the Fort Worth Gun Show, and Mike a friend that will be hunting on this lease bought just this rifle, Im not sure what scope he wound up getting, but it was a Leupold scope...!
    We have a Brick Layer, an Electrician, a police officer, a fireman, a lawyer & a plumber all in on this lease & hunting blind, Go Figure...!!!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I understand that your blind can't be moved, but has anybody suggested moving the FEEDER closer to the blind.....

Top Bottom