• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    That being said, the TRG-42 in .300 Win Mag would be a pot shot at 1500 yards. The .338 Lapua Magnum would be capable.

My point is that there are several guns that are capable, but how capable the shooter is at that range, even with a spotter, is a whole different story.

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I'm just impressed yall built a $15k hunting blind on leased land.

I say lease because of the money others have put into building things on this property, but the land is owned by a few family members of mine, so instead of charging per season, I had friends put the money into building a hunting blind/building, feeders, cutting trails through to the hunting blind & so on, two years of work is 90% complete.
    I took my Dad & Grandfather out to this location just before Christmas, the next thing I know they bought insurance on it, Go Figure...???

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I understand that your blind can't be moved, but has anybody suggested moving the FEEDER closer to the blind.....

Yep... And we have lost around 5 feeders when a big rain came, so we have all the feeders in an area where if it floods we wont lose them, as well as our hunting blind...
    I hope to post some pictures of this place one day soon, and maybe everyone will see what & why we built where we did, like I said before, this is a hunters dream location...!
    And the great part about it is, ITS MINE...!!!

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    There is no arguing that the Sako TRG rifles are amazing, but your sales person is an idiot. Even Carlos Hathcock would agree that any 1000+ yard shot is NEVER "easy."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MAN...??? The sales person didn't say Id hit at 1500 yards, he just said the .308 would make the 1500 yards, Easy...
    The sales person is really a pretty nice guy thats been selling firearms for a long long time...!!!

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Long Range Rifle Scope

Has anyone ever used or even heard of the "Zeiss Diarange 3-12x56 Rapid Z 600 Rifle Scope with Lotutec" ??? $4000.00
    Good Lord, Im going to need a bank loan to build the rifle I need...
    Any advice on a top of the line scope is more then welcome...!!!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Has anyone ever used or even heard of the "Zeiss Diarange 3-12x56 Rapid Z 600 Rifle Scope with Lotutec" ??? $4000.00
    Good Lord, Im going to need a bank loan to build the rifle I need...
    Any advice on a top of the line scope is more then welcome...!!!

I dont know how much heavy rain your place gets, but you sure could buy an awful lot of deer feeders for $4,000......

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    Here's mine:
    5RNew.jpg

(Sorry for the poor phone pic)

Remington 700 5R (Stainless Bull Barrel, 1:11.25 twist)
    Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm w/illuminated NP-R1 reticle
    TPS rings (need to get shorter rings, those are a just a tad too tall)
    Evolution Gun Works 20 MOA base
    VersaPod Bipod
    AICS stock is inbound, so it's not in the picture (I have a VersaPod adaptor
    for the AICS also)

I will say that I built this one to be more of a benchrest/prone shooter, so it's not the lightest bolt gun out there, but I could hump it around if I needed to. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as I just got it last week, but the 5R's are rated accurate to 1k, and the 1:11.25 twist helps stabilize the 175gr bullets better.

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Here's mine:
    5RNew.jpg

(Sorry for the poor phone pic)

Remington 700 5R (Stainless Bull Barrel, 1:11.25 twist)
    Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm w/illuminated NP-R1 reticle
    TPS rings (need to get shorter rings, those are a just a tad too tall)
    Evolution Gun Works 20 MOA base
    VersaPod Bipod
    AICS stock is inbound, so it's not in the picture (I have a VersaPod adaptor
    for the AICS also)

I will say that I built this one to be more of a benchrest/prone shooter, so it's not the lightest bolt gun out there, but I could hump it around if I needed to. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as I just got it last week, but the 5R's are rated accurate to 1k, and the 1:11.25 twist helps stabilize the 175gr bullets better.

Great looking rifle w/accessories, I wouldn't let the rings bother you very much...! But I hear ya on the 175gr Bullets, we have a 30-06 and I went through a box & 1/2 of 180grn shells sighting this rifle in, and the next day felt like Id had my butt kicked...
    Im sure I'll go with the TRD 42 .308 Cal.
    Maybe Id feel better if I knew other people that had $4500.00 in a hunting rifle...???
    I did have a guy call me with a M40A3 he built w/an X10 scope, McMillan stock, bipod, etc... said hed take $3000 for it, so I'll be having a look at it...!!!
    Thanks for posting the picture.

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to fit and functionality (the scope is above his line of sight once he gets his cheek "welded" to the stock).
    You are correct. The TPS Low rings will drop it by 4mm, and that should still allow the 50mm objective to clear the barrel. (It currently has the medium height rings on it). The AICS does come with an adjustable cheekpiece (that is, it will once it gets here), but I still would like to keep the the scope as close to the bore as possible. I got the medium rings out of concern that the 50mm objective w/3" sunshade might have a clearance issue on the 20 MOA base. Needless concern as it turns out.

Maybe Id feel better if I knew other people that had $4500.00 in a hunting rifle...???
    I did have a guy call me with a M40A3 he built w/an X10 scope, McMillan stock, bipod, etc... said hed take $3000 for it, so I'll be having a look at it...!!!
    Thanks for posting the picture.
    I've got close to that in this one, but like you pointed out, it wasn't actually built with hunting in mind. (Although one could hunt with it if they didn't mind a little heft). I'd definately be taking a look at that M40A3. Not a bad price. SuperSniper scope?

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've got close to that in this one, but like you pointed out, it wasn't actually built with hunting in mind. (Although one could hunt with it if they didn't mind a little heft). I'd definately be taking a look at that M40A3. Not a bad price. SuperSniper scope?

Its not like he is going to be out stalking or moving around with the gun...as stated, he will be in an elevated blind with balony all around it...

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to fit and functionality (the scope is above his line of sight once he gets his cheek "welded" to the stock).

Ive always wondered about that, so having the scope as close to the barrel as possible works best...??? we have a 30-06 and the scope is set off the barrel like Thumpers rifle is, I can stick my finger between the scope & berrel barley !!! the first few shots sighting in this 30-06 I was high on my target and had to adjust the scope down quite a bit, but we have it sighted in really good now... My brother is taking this 30-06 Elk hunting in 2 weeks...
    He can make some great Elk Jurkey, may be the best jurkey I ever had...!

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    You are correct. The TPS Low rings will drop it by 4mm, and that should still allow the 50mm objective to clear the barrel. (It currently has the medium height rings on it). The AICS does come with an adjustable cheekpiece (that is, it will once it gets here), but I still would like to keep the the scope as close to the bore as possible. I got the medium rings out of concern that the 50mm objective w/3" sunshade might have a clearance issue on the 20 MOA base. Needless concern as it turns out.

My oldest son is a Marine stationed in 29 Palms CA, they just got back from Iraq last November, he said this sounded just like the firearm that the Marines are supplying them with in replacing the M40A1
    My son said the M40A3 is a great weapon, but he liked the M40A1 better because of the weight, he said when you walk around day holding this rifle the extra 2 pounds between them is noticed...
    But Hell, Ive seen my son suited up and he has about 100 pounds of gear he carries each & every day, so wats an extra 2 pounds...!!!

Attachments

• austin with gun.jpg
      austin with gun.jpg
      27.3 KB · Views: 212

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Ive always wondered about that, so having the scope as close to the barrel as possible works best...???

As Thumper has implied, having the scope axis as close as possible to the bore axis is a plus. But, you also have to consider your line of sight...when your cheek is on the stock in a comfortable position, can you properly see through the scope. If not, to remedy this, you either elavate the scope, or elevate your cheek via an adjustable stock.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My oldest son is a Marine stationed in 29 Palms CA, they just got back from Iraq last November, he said this sounded just like the firearm that the Marines are supplying them with in replacing the M40A1
    My son said the M40A3 is a great weapon, but he liked the M40A1 better because of the weight, he said when you walk around day holding this rifle the extra 2 pounds between them is noticed...
    But Hell, Ive seen my son suited up and he has about 100 pounds of gear he carries each & every day, so wats an extra 2 pounds...!!!

Thank your son for us!! :patriot:

For some reason I got the impression you were much younger....

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    As Thumper has implied, having the scope axis as close as possible to the bore axis is a plus. But, you also have to consider your line of sight...when your cheek is on the stock in a comfortable position, can you properly see through the scope. If not, to remedy this, you either elavate the scope, or elevate your cheek via an adjustable stock.

Bingo! (Sorry, I failed to elaborate on my earlier agreement with this statement). This is more my issue with the scope being high than it being away from the bore. As it is now, I have to raise my cheek off the stock to see through the scope which keeps me from getting a good cheek weld. Not good. Being able to snug the stock into the shoulder and just lay your cheek down on the stock and see right down the scope is the proper setup. Accuracy (and tight groups) are based on consistancy. Lack of a good cheek weld will adversly affect your accuracy.

Its not like he is going to be out stalking or moving around with the gun...as stated, he will be in an elevated blind with balony all around it...
    ROFLMAO! Good point.

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Thank your son for us!! :patriot:

For some reason I got the impression you were much younger....

Thanks, and I will let my son know what you said...
    The day my son's platoon arrived back from Iraq I was thanking God...!!!
    They did loose 1 Marine while in Iraq and his Mother & Father were there to welcome home all the Marines at 29P Base, they were good people...!
    Here is a picture of the truck hit by a IAD road Bomb
    They called this simi truck the Pit Bull Truck...

Attachments

• austin_truck2.jpg
      austin_truck2.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 199

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009

I appreciate any & all information on scopes, Im about to spend around 4 grand for a scope...!
    The Zeiss Diarange 3-12x56 Matte Black Rapid Z 800 Reticle Yards Rifle Scope with Lotutec seems to be a scope that will help to hit my target from 400 to 600 yards... here's a web site if anyone wants to check it out...
    Zeiss Diarange 3-12x56 Matte Black Rapid Z 800 : Scopes / Optics at GunBroker.com

Any more info would be great from you guys, I have learned a lot from TGT and if you think this scope is crap, please let me know...

Attachments

• Scope1.jpg
      Scope1.jpg
      24.3 KB · Views: 164

winnracing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Well Guys, My Brother bought the M4OA3 I spoke about buying...! ($2,850)
    This rifle is amazing !!! It is crazy how the muzzle on this thing helps with recoil, and sound moderation, this rifle is not as loud shooting as I thought it would be... The Muzzle is a threaded on Muzzle, so my brother wants to get a suppressor for it...!!!
    Don't ask me why he wants a suppressor, I think it's just the looks of this rifle, it is a good looking rifle...! and we were hitting our target at 500 yards, and at $1.20 a bullet, this is not a rifle to just go shoot some Beer cans for the fun of it...!!!

Now for the scope I want to purchase, the "Zeiss Victory Diarange Riflescopes" I really hope someone will reply with there option...!!!
    The fire arm's business where I want to buy this scope said he had 3 and that the Zeiss manufacture gave him to sale because of the price of $4,500, even the gun shop wasn't going to stock a bunch of them...
    But, the gun shop has sold 4 of these scopes so far and had a deal with Zeiss manufacture to stock these scope at a reduced until the scope is sold...
    So this type of scope is selling to hunters & tactical according to gun shop owner...
    PLEASE, any feedback on this scope would be appreciated, I've always just purchased a good rifle & a scope necessary for my needs, BUT, some of you guys are way more experienced in this department then I am... Im looking at $7,000 Grand to build the rifle I'd like...!!!
    Am I over doing it...? You think I'll be set up...??? Please let me know what you think..
    This is a lot of money to get what I think will do the job, and I for sure do not want to purchase this scope to find out later I should have bought something else...!!!
    So let me have it with both barrels, Good, Bad, your option will really help right now...!

Top Bottom