• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Not sure if this is where this goes, but.......while going through an old barn an acquaintance found A VERY old keg of what looks to be reloading powder. If he had to guess, there is 5-10 lbs. of it. He said the keg it is in looks to be sound with no tears, crack or breaches. Is this stuff safe for him to handle, or is it unstable? Can it safely be transported? What is the best way to get rid of it? He doesn't know the brand or who makes it. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Should be safe to handle, if it has been kept dry and as you say the keg is sound it is probably still useable. The easy safe way to get rid of it is simply to spread it out on the ground.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Good chance it could be OK to use. If you want to venture to open it, do so and smell it. One way to determine if the powder has "broken down" is if has a "sour" smell to it (and I'm told it's very obvious). Other than that, it should be no problem. Depending on what you want to do with it, under no pressure, if lit (small amounts) will fizz and burn just like powder from a firecracker. By the way, I am not responsible for anything you do based on what I said here! :rolleyes:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As already stated, old powder that's gone bad will smell and sometimes turn odd colors. It's a decent fertilizer (if ridiculously expensive for that purpose) for any plot of ground that needs a shot of nitrogen.

However, I hate to see potentially useful old powder wasted. Who knows? If it's a sealed keg of "T", there are benchrest shooters who would sell their mothers to have it. Even if it's not particularly valuable, reddog hit the nail on the head in his first sentence.

My advice? Don't be hasty.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I came to Texas is 1992, I got rid of a large amount of reloading powder that was pretty old. That wasn't the reason that I wanted it gone. I sold my house and was living in a travel trailer. I just didn't want the powder around.

I agree with TXI. Leave the authorities out of it! In this day and time, they will make mountains out of nothing.

I burned my powder and learned a lot in doing that. First, don't put the powder in a pile. It will average a 3 foot fireball and I didn't feel safe in doing that. Instead, make a long, thin trail of powder and light a tiny tail of powder at the end. That keeps the fireball to a minimum. Of course, do it in a secluded place away from structures or flammables and on a calm day.

Reloading powder is not explosive. It burns far too slowly for that and is much different than flash powder from firecrackers.

There are sites online where you can identify the powder by grain size and shape and color tags. You might want to check that out first. Perhaps there's a market for reloaders on TGT.

I'd take a small amount of the powder and burn it to see how it reacts.

Flash

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    What's the name of the powder?
    not sure I will have to find out
    As already stated, old powder that's gone bad will smell and sometimes turn odd colors. It's a decent fertilizer (if ridiculously expensive for that purpose) for any plot of ground that needs a shot of nitrogen.

However, I hate to see potentially useful old powder wasted. Who knows? If it's a sealed keg of "T", there are benchrest shooters who would sell their mothers to have it. Even if it's not particularly valuable, reddog hit the nail on the head in his first sentence.

My advice? Don't be hasty.
    10-4, not in any hurry, I'll find out what kind it is....if I can. Thanks for the info my man
    When I came to Texas is 1992, I got rid of a large amount of reloading powder that was pretty old. That wasn't the reason that I wanted it gone. I sold my house and was living in a travel trailer. I just didn't want the powder around.

I agree with TXI. Leave the authorities out of it! In this day and time, they will make mountains out of nothing.

I burned my powder and learned a lot in doing that. First, don't put the powder in a pile. It will average a 3 foot fireball and I didn't feel safe in doing that. Instead, make a long, thin trail of powder and light a tiny tail of powder at the end. That keeps the fireball to a minimum. Of course, do it in a secluded place away from structures or flammables and on a calm day.

Reloading powder is not explosive. It burns far too slowly for that and is much different than flash powder from firecrackers.

There are sites online where you can identify the powder by grain size and shape and color tags. You might want to check that out first. Perhaps there's a market for reloaders on TGT.

I'd take a small amount of the powder and burn it to see how it reacts.

Flash

thanks Flash that's good info to have

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I burned my powder and learned a lot in doing that. First, don't put the powder in a pile. It will average a 3 foot fireball and I didn't feel safe in doing that.
    NOTE (with thanks to mikeofcontex): The following applies to smokeless powder only.

I disagree.

I save asparagus cans, the narrow, tall ones. I take the clean, dry cans and put about a half inch of odd lots of leftover powder in the bottom. On July 4 and at New Year's, I put a can (or two or more) in the middle of the street. (With a fire extinguisher and a primed water nozzle nearby) I then drop a lit match into each of the cans.

The tall, narrow shape of the cans does a good job of directing the resulting flames upward. If you use the right slow powder you can get an 8-foot fireball that will bubble the paint on cars 10 feet away. Don't ask me how I know about that last part.;)

The neighborhood kids love the display. I think they also really love seeing the crazy old fat man clambering away from the pyrotechnics. No matter which, their smiles and laughter make it completely worthwhile to me.

Last edited:

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Black powder vs smokeless powder... black powder will explode under a match and can be set off on impact. Smokeless powder has been what was mostly described above. Firecrackers contain black powder!

Make a determination of which you have and handle appropriately.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Black powder vs smokeless powder...
    Excellent point. If it's black, though, it's even more likely to be salvageable. Real black can be dried and then used normally if it's gotten damp.

In the interest of full safety coverage, I'll go back and amend my previous post.

alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    If you find it's salvageable, make sure its not a mixture. I wouldn't trust it in any of my guns, just do the pyro display.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I will try to find out what type it is, hopefully the container will be readable. I'll let y'all know what I find out. Thanks to all y'all for the quick & helpful responses.

alaska1996

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Forgot to mention...

If that stuff is younger than 30 years, I would advise against the fertilizer idea. The more modern smokeless powder is designed for longer shelf life;it doesn't break down like the older stuff.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    I'm using some 4831 without a prefix that was purchased in the 60's. It goes bang every time. You have to find something like an old Lyman loading manual for pre H or IMR loading amounts, but if you do your job, it will handle it's end.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    One must be very careful with old DUN powder.

It has a potential to cause sterility.
    Brings on male pattern baldness.
    Attracts stray cats from all over the neighborhood.
    May cause one to think they are gay.
    Causes halitosis.
    Tails have been known to grow on persons with too much contact.

There are more things caused by this nefarious stuff, but unfortunately a lot is not known about it!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    One must be very careful with old DUN powder.

It has a potential to cause sterility.
    Brings on male pattern baldness.
    Attracts stray cats from all over the neighborhood.
    May cause one to think they are gay.
    Causes halitosis.
    Tails have been known to grow on persons with too much contact.

There are more things caused by this nefarious stuff, but unfortunately a lot is not known about it!

[giggle]

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    /me <-----dumps ashes on head......

Okay - I hereby lay claim to THE dumbest post of the year.<sigh>

Have NO idea where my head was this morning, other than just not "in the game". The others here have been spot-on - check the powder because it COULD very well still be good. You might be sitting on a keg of reloading gold. If it's NOT good - yeah, spread it out on the ground and it'll be good fertilizer.

Dunno WHAT I was thinking.....sorry!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom