• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Most larger cities have a hazardous material disposal site open to the public. I have taken old powder and other items such as old half filled paint cans to the one here in Dallas. They dispose of it somewhere else. Quick and easy solution to your problem. There was no fee for my disposal either. If you have access to rural land (yours or by permission of the land owner) do as someone above said. Dig a 12" deep hole, pour in small portions of powder, and burn it off. It won't blow up, but be careful not to burn too much at one time. We do not need a Yosemite type fire here in Texas.
    Texas SOT

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If you make it to the dove hunt, bring it with ya.
    We'll scatter it out in the cultivated area.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    OK, finally got some time to find out what I have inherited. The container is unopened, looks & feels solid. The whole thing weighs 4.5 lbs, according to my trusty digital fish scale. The label says it is designed for medium & heavy shotshell loads as well as some specific pistol and revolver cartridges. HERCULES INCORPERATED GREEN DOT SMOKELESS SHOTGUN POWDER....SOOOOOOOOOOO, do I have anything special? Any of you reloaders know what it might be worth and/or might be interested in it?................... DSC00968 (2).jpg DSC00970 (2).jpg DSC00972 (2).jpg

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Just spread it around in the yard and water it. It's not dangerous unless you make it dangerous. Ease up.

Edit: Sorry, I repeated myself from page one. I can't believe this thread is still alive. Sheeesh!

Last edited:

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Just spread it around in the yard and water it. It's not dangerous unless you make it dangerous. Ease up.

Edit: Sorry, I repeated myself from page one. I can't believe this thread is still alive. Sheeesh!

OHH, I aint worried about it Bigun, just curious as to whether it is special or just run of the mill powder. Also, if anyone is interested in it. I just now had time today to go and pick it up, told some of the other fellers that I would let em know what I found out

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Run of the mill powder.
    It'll work for a bunch of pistol loads and most any shotgun load.
    Its gonna be worth something to somebody.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    Here's a cardboard Green Dot container that was bought around 1972. The lot number is a little higher than yours, but it still does what Green Dot should do.
    oldpowder001sm_zpsdb40a8f1.jpg

We used to get it for around $3/lb in Angleton.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I have worked in the ammo industry and when we do workovers with old ammo we use steam to dissolve the powder. I strongly suggest you use water to dissolve it.

I would not attempt to burn it. Old powder often changes its properties. What could have been a slow burn at one time could become extremely fast and flash at a lower temp than originally intended. These type of powder burns are a surgeons nightmare and trust me you will NEVER look the same, even to yo mama.

Now I know someone is going to say, well I was in the Army and they burn their left over charges. YES they do, but that is the Army and under different circumstances. And just for you FYI, more than once I have seen the angel flight extract the guy who was sent out to burn the charges and no, I never saw one ever come back to the unit. That type of heat can actually MELT skin.

And as someone stated, FOR GOD SAKE do not contact the authorities ESPECIALLY if you are a veteran. You will be investigated from here to Sunday, the FBI, ATF and DHS will be eyeball deep in your life and at BEST you will be watched evermore, at worst you will be arrested and in spite of later being found not guilty, the legal fees will EAT YO LUNCH...

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    And as someone stated, FOR GOD SAKE do not contact the authorities ESPECIALLY if you are a veteran. You will be investigated from here to Sunday, the FBI, ATF and DHS will be eyeball deep in your life and at BEST you will be watched evermore, at worst you will be arrested and in spite of later being found not guilty, the legal fees will EAT YO LUNCH...

Investigate me for what? There is nothing illegal going on, it's just gun powder.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    So you are telling me it is against the law to own gun powder.......which they sell at almost every sporting goods & gun stores???
    NO, never said that YOU DID. Clearly you are not in the loop on the current attitude on guns and explosives. So DO IT, head on down there with your cannister of explosives, sure they will greet you like a long lost brother...lets see you live in a city that is turning over the Alamo to the UN along with all the other missions, was trying to pass a city ordinance that that would prevent most Christians from running for public office, is led by a Mayor who is most likely one of the most far left folks in public office outside of Obama and he has been to the WH over 13 times and you running around with explosives for which you have no paper trail (THINK Boston). And we can almost daily read of the LEO's busting into someone home and the headlines read "man has ARSENAL in home", only when you get to page 6 do we find out he had 3 guns and 1500 rds of ammo.

Hey I can tell you are real smart, go do what you need you too, I told you how we get rid of powder, think you are too smart to do it that way...

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    NO, never said that YOU DID. Clearly you are not in the loop on the current attitude on guns and explosives. So DO IT, head on down there with your cannister of explosives, sure they will greet you like a long lost brother...lets see you live in a city that is turning over the Alamo to the UN along with all the other missions, was trying to pass a city ordinance that that would prevent most Christians from running for public office, is led by a Mayor who is most likely one of the most far left folks in public office outside of Obama and he has been to the WH over 13 times and you running around with explosives for which you have no paper trail (THINK Boston). And we can almost daily read of the LEO's busting into someone home and the headlines read "man has ARSENAL in home", only when you get to page 6 do we find out he had 3 guns and 1500 rds of ammo.

Hey I can tell you are real smart, go do what you need you too, I told you how we get rid of powder, think you are too smart to do it that way...

1st off, why are you all knotted up???? 2nd.......I was asking what the issue was because I figured that I was missing something that I was not in the loop on, and I never said I was looking to "turn it in". I'm not an idiot......further more I don't need you to "talk at or down to me" like you are my father. Now if you misunderstood my intent when I asked my question...then I understand, no hard feelings, none taken. But if you are just blowing off steam and trying to be an asshole......well, my friend you are doing it to the wrong person. Let me know if I have misunderstood your intent. If I have, then I will most certainly apologize. It is hard for me to interpret some folks words & intended meaning when they are typed vs. face to face conversation

Last edited:
    Top Bottom