• Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    /me <-----dumps ashes on head......

Okay - I hereby lay claim to THE dumbest post of the year.<sigh>

Have NO idea where my head was this morning, other than just not "in the game". The others here have been spot-on - check the powder because it COULD very well still be good. You might be sitting on a keg of reloading gold. If it's NOT good - yeah, spread it out on the ground and it'll be good fertilizer.

Dunno WHAT I was thinking.....sorry!

Saved me having to say, "WTF, TR?!?"

Oh, wait, I said it anyway.....

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    There are at least 3 powders in this picture that are obsolete.
    newtreasures_zps89fe9908.jpg

However, that doesn't mean they are useless and need to be disposed of. I believe I've already used all of the HS5 and the other two will have some use found for them.

This is 1940s or before Unique that still performs like when it was new!
    oldpowder002sm_zps706cd397.jpg

Here's some WWII H4831 as stated on the side of the can.
    oldpowder003sm_zps21293716.jpg

Here are three "kegs", the right two are Green Dot and the left one is Alcan 5. Alcan was the only square cut powder brought into the US that I know of.
    oldpowder001sm_zpsdb40a8f1.jpg

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    Last edited:

Capt.hollis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Brazoria Tx
    Burn it.. Makes a great fire starter. I'd never call the cops . Next thing you know they'll be having the forensic boys out there digging up your lawn . Lol

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    We don't yet know what it is nor does Alliant. We do know how to dispose of smokeless powder and know to be very careful with black powder.

We do know about powder storage and how to evaluate powder for continued use.

Does Alliant hire experts. One would hope so. Would their experts disagree with other experts. I would expect so.

With experts and amateurs alike, one should evaluate counsel carefully/wisely.

Capt.hollis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Brazoria Tx
    I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just burn it and be done with it
    We don't yet know what it is nor does Alliant. We do know how to dispose of smokeless powder and know to be very careful with black powder.

We do know about powder storage and how to evaluate powder for continued use.

Does Alliant hire experts. One would hope so. Would their experts disagree with other experts. I would expect so.

With experts and amateurs alike, one should evaluate counsel carefully/wisely.

Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    It burns hot and fast. If you have fire ant hill, make a deep hole in it with a piece of rebar, fill it with powder, and, carefully, light it with a long match. Stand clear. It will melt all the ants in that hill.

Last edited:

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Don't burn it!
    Spread it on the ground like fertilizer and sprinkle water on it.
    One of the very best skeet shooters in the world died this year in San Antonio
    from burns he got when he lit off some old powder.

Millerwb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Bryan
    There are at least 3 powders in this picture that are obsolete.
    newtreasures_zps89fe9908.jpg

However, that doesn't mean they are useless and need to be disposed of. I believe I've already used all of the HS5 and the other two will have some use found for them.

I have a can of the HiVel 2. Someone sent me loads for 30-06 using the powder. I also have a can of the #6. I can't remember for sure, but maybe I have loads for 38 Special for that one.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I have a can of the HiVel 2. Someone sent me loads for 30-06 using the powder. I also have a can of the #6. I can't remember for sure, but maybe I have loads for 38 Special for that one.

Load data for those two powders are in Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide to Handloading" and HiVel#2 data is also in Speer #7. DuPont Number 6 is a triple based powder, one of the few I'm aware of in canister grade.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom