• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The lee quick change collets are nice in a lee single stage. Great for rifle. IIRC they have both full length and neck sizeing dies for rifle calibers. For pistol, especially if you want a lot of them, turret press is better. I am considering a Lee single stage breech lock. Already have the hand press. Fast enough for what I want. Plus I can take the hand press and scale with me and try different loads on the fly for the rifle for accuracy if I want. Or store it and extra dies in another location. Just for grins.
    Capitol Armory ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    In the most basic sense, yes. The Lyman manual has a "recommended" load which, in their testing, was the most accurate. The manual will you give you a range of certain powders which have been deemed "safe". Start with the minimum spec and work your way up by tenths of a grain until you get your most accurate load. I generally just go middle ground of what the chart says as I'm mostly in it for the plinking, not the high accuracy. Besides, I'm not THAT great of a shot to honestly tell the difference. The things you have to worry about are squibs (bullet stuck in the chamber from too little powder) and over pressure (primers start popping out) that can lead to blowing the gun up.

Thank you. Now Im tracking

"Sent from a iBong6"

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Pretty much what i do, close to min., middle, close to hottest. See how they feed and group, start with min., 1st shot, check spent case primer, etc., then shoot for effect. On the hotter loads, 1st two rounds for defects, then shoot. I pick up all brass and inspect after each magazine for defects. I also pay attention to how my pistol cycles with each load and pick the best performing overall.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    This was asked in another thread. It needs to be here, cuz its an age old common question:

Ouch, yeah, guess if your gonna order it yourself you better do a group buy or buy bulk. What's powder and primers usually run? Is it worth reloading .233?

"Prepare yourself for the future,with what you've seen in the present"

Is reloading cheaper?

Heres the current market value of 5.56.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/556/

So pick your self a load for 5.56. How many grains of powder does it take for that round? Figure how many rounds you can get from a pound of powder. 'X'

Then add the price of bullets, casings and primers needed for your 'x' amount.

Compare to the same kinda ammo sold. HP, FMJ...etc. what ever bullet you used.

Which is cheaper? . Thats why most folks just reload and find out it cheaper. After the fact. Its a buttload of math.

Yeah, powder gets cheaper the more you buy. Think buying the 8 pound jobs to save over 1 pound.

"Sent from a iBong6"

"Sent from a iBong6"

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    This was asked in another thread. It needs to be here, cuz its an age old common question:

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/556/

So pick your self a load for 5.56. How many grains of powder does it take for that round? Figure how many rounds you can get from a pound of powder. 'X'

Which is cheaper? . Thats why most folks just reload and find out it cheaper. After the fact. Its a buttload of math.

Yeah, powder gets cheaper the more you buy. Think buying the 8 pound jobs to save over 1 pound.

"Sent from a iBong6"

"Sent from a iBong6"

Thanks!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Btw guys, price of 5.56 is dropping. Low price three months ago was .34cents. Now its can be had for .30 cents.

"Sent from a iBong6"

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX

Is reloading cheaper?

GunBot 556 rifle ammo

"Sent from a iBong6"

"Sent from a iBong6"

7000 grains per pound.

In general, for pistol ammo and 5.56/.223, it's close to breaking even and not worth reloading unless you find components for cheap.

Rifle, however, can be half as much to reload as it is to buy it. Generally, it's cheaper to reload rifle than it is to buy it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Doing math for 40cal. 5.5 grains....brb

Ok. Thats 1,272 rounds of 40cal. 304 rounds of 223 @23grains.

"Sent from a iBong6"

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can reload 9mm much cheaper than I can buy. That was even before the ammo hit the fan.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    I can reload 9mm much cheaper than I can buy. That was even before the ammo hit the fan.

Maybe I should just start out with 9mm then, I'm selling my .40, and don't have any plans on getting another .40 or .45.... That would leave my pistol ammo at 9mm for all my handguns.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't, but some like the FCD for different piston uses.

I just seat and crimp in one motion.

I won't say it's bad, but don't believe it's a necessity.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Should I just get the Lee 4 die set for .45? Is it better to have a 'factory crimp'?

Yes. The factory crimp on pistol ammo is a taper. The taper it forms, allows the round to slide into the chamber more smoothly.

Thought to be more reliable in semi autos.

"Sent from a iBong6"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Maybe I should just start out with 9mm then, I'm selling my .40, and don't have any plans on getting another .40 or .45.... That would leave my pistol ammo at 9mm for all my handguns.

Just make sure you buy your bullets in bulk. I prefer plated.

Several places offer free shipping on orders of certain amounts. One site I used frequently when ordering (but can remember) gives free shipping on multiples of 2000.

Order a bunch and put'em back. Find a good deal on primers and stack them away. Same for powder. Start saving all your brass now so you don't have to buy any.

You'll never break even buying those 100 count boxes of bullets.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    For example, 30-06 runs about $1 per round.

For me to reload it:
    .04 for primer
    .20 for bullet
    .13 for powder
    .00 for brass

Total: $.37 per round. Of course, those numbers can fluctuate given component cost and load variations.

Quite the savings. However, on pistol rounds:

9mm runs about $.30 per round commercial.

Reload:
    .04 for primer
    .14 for bullet
    .01 for powder
    .00 for brass

Total: $.19 per round.

So, not nearly the savings, but still some. That's when you have to factor into the cost of your time. Is it worth the savings?

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Just make sure you buy your bullets in bulk. I prefer plated.

Several places offer free shipping on orders of certain amounts. One site I used frequently when ordering (but can remember) gives free shipping on multiples of 2000.

Order a bunch and put'em back. Find a good deal on primers and stack them away. Same for powder. Start saving all your brass now so you don't have to buy any.

You'll never break even buying those 100 count boxes of bullets.

Yeah, if I was going to start reloading (which I want to!) I would order in bulk. Pistol powder is still hard to come by though, isn't it!?

IDE love to meet up with someone in SA, and try my hand at reloading before I wasted my time and money.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For example, 30-06 runs about $1 per round.

For me to reload it:
    .04 for primer
    .20 for bullet
    .13 for powder
    .00 for brass

Total: $.37 per round. Of course, those numbers can fluctuate given component cost and load variations.

Quite the savings. However, on pistol rounds:

9mm runs about $.30 per round commercial.

Reload:
    .04 for primer
    .14 for bullet
    .01 for powder
    .00 for brass

Total: $.19 per round.

So, not nearly the savings, but still some. That's when you have to factor into the cost of your time. Is it worth the savings?

I don't pay myself to watch TV, and I wouldn't be at work if I wasn't reloading. Really don't consider reloading to be work.

I really don't see why it wouldn't be worth it.

It's part if the game. Just another area of the sport I enjoy. Honestly, I've never understood that argument unless I look at it from the point if view of someone who really doesn't like to reload.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I don't pay myself to watch TV, and I wouldn't be at work if I wasn't reloading. Really don't consider reloading to be work.

I really don't see why it wouldn't be worth it.

It's part if the game. Just another area of the sport I enjoy. Honestly, I've never understood that argument unless I look at it from the point if view of someone who really doesn't like to reload.

Correct, however, could you be putting your time into something else that would be more important? That's where the "cost of time" factors in. If there isn't anything more important, then there is no cost associated into reloading. However, if you've got other projects, family, etc., that could be a better use of that time, then that is a cost associated into reloading.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I spend too much time watching TV. This is a good excuse for me to do something fun that's also productive.

If I liked doing yard work, I would be doing that now.

Top Bottom