Join TexasGunTalk

Need red dot opinions....

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Texas Heat, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Texas Heat

Texas Heat Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    The optics forum here has relatively old info and doesn't get visited much but if this gets moved over there then so be it. I am looking for a red dot and have limited my choices now to the Primary Arms Advanced 2, Sig Romeo 5, Holosun Paralow 503 and Vortex SPARC II or Spitfire. I am not going to spend more than these. If I can get it in FDE, even better. Vortex might be the only one not in FDE. It will mount to a Ruger AR556 that is crazy accurate and tight groups with iron sights. This is just for fun basically. Has anyone bought one recently?

2. smittyb

smittyb Well-Known

Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Holosuns are great
    Then again, so are the Sigs.

3. Texas Heat

Texas Heat Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    The only thing that scares me about the Sig Romeo 5 is that I may be tempted at some point to pick up a Juliet 4 magnifier to go with it :)

opplanet-sig-sauer-juliet-4-magnifier-red-dot-sights-use5.jpg

opplanet-sig-sauer-juliet-4-magnifier-red-dot-sights-use4.jpg

4. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Active Member Forum Sponsor

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I have both the Vortex's you mentioned and like them. Don't know what else to say.

5. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'm digging my Romeo 5. I think Palmetto State Armory has them on sale for $129.99

DD130 likes this.
  6. EZ-E

EZ-E Infidel Patriot

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    Vortex or the Sig gets my vote.
    If your trying to keep cost down the Bushnell TRS25 is a pretty good deal, the the price of the Romeo 5 @ PSA is a good deal...almost got one the other day

toddnjoyce likes this.
  7. IXLR8

IXLR8 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Vortex Sparc II has my vote. I don’t think you can get better at twice the price.
    Holosun has NOT earned my respect yet. It appears to be a rebranded cheap Chinese knockoff. Please correct me if I am wrong. YMMV...

8. smittyb

smittyb Well-Known

Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Have you used a Holosun?

9. IXLR8

IXLR8 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have not used a Holosun. However I have fondled many of them with the intention of buying one. The construction and quality did not meet my expectation.

It appears that many low end red dots are produced by one company and rebranded by many. That is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on the money you are willing to spend, and your needs.

10. Over it

Over it New Member

Mar 17, 2015