• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I exploded roughly 2 pounds of Tannerite under a plastic gas can containing 3 gallons of gas, and the gasoline did not ignite. What did I do wrong? Was that too much Tannerite, causing a lack of oxygen? Should I have poured gasoline on the outside of the can and container of Tannerite to facilitate the burn?
    Guns International

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I exploded roughly 2 pounds of Tannerite under a plastic gas can containing 3 gallons of gas, and the gasoline did not ignite. What did I do wrong? Was that too much Tannerite, causing a lack of oxygen? Should I have poured gasoline on the outside of the can and container of Tannerite to facilitate the burn?

Three gallons of gas!! Damn, can you run very fast? I'd be scared chitless trying to get three gallons of gas to ignite. Couple of bad experiences with gasoline in the past has made me extremely respectful!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    While I am at it....best non-suppressed round to shoot Tannerite (so the rifle shot doesn't take away from the boom of the Tannerite) is the .17HMR. I've done it with 5.56 and .308 before, and was suspect of .17HMR having enough velocity, but it worked like a charm!

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Pack your tannerite tightly. We filled the excess space with dirt (packed in tight!) and then screwed the lid on. We even went so far as to seal the jar with a couple layers of duct tape. It appeared to create a flame as well as some extra *thud*.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Pack your tannerite tightly. We filled the excess space with dirt (packed in tight!) and then screwed the lid on. We even went so far as to seal the jar with a couple layers of duct tape. It appeared to create a flame as well as some extra *thud*.

Is this just general advice, or specific to igniting the gasoline? I packed it very tightly in a Tupperware container and covered it with duct tape. There have been many times when I could have sworn there was a flame, inclduing this time, but I guess not if the gas didn't ignite. <shrug>

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Still too close for me (depending on where the fumes are before you light it!) Be careful, there's posts in the "Man Cave" 'bout some sweet thing being charged with "making explosive devices".

We are deep into a 5000-acre South Texas ranch, no worries there at all.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Is this just general advice, or specific to igniting the gasoline? I packed it very tightly in a Tupperware container and covered it with duct tape. There have been many times when I could have sworn there was a flame, inclduing this time, but I guess not if the gas didn't ignite. &lt;shrug&gt;

General advice where I have noticed flames. Are you getting the gasoline to vaporize?

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    While I am at it....best non-suppressed round to shoot Tannerite (so the rifle shot doesn't take away from the boom of the Tannerite) is the .17HMR. I've done it with 5.56 and .308 before, and was suspect of .17HMR having enough velocity, but it worked like a charm!
    I put four rounds dead-center on some tannerite a couple of years ago, and succeeded in doing nothing but busting up the container.. We finally popped it off with a .223. Go figure.

Top Bottom