• ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I have made several of those and believe me it is not for the faint at heart. Fill the balloon and put inside of a paper bag and twist the top. Light it and get the hell out of the way. USE EXTREME CARE
    Lynx Defense

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    I don't recall what chemical we used, but in high school, some friends and I used a base of some sort mixed with tin foil to create a chemical reaction. The byproduct of this reaction was straight hydrogen. We set off quite a few hydrogen balloons. A lot if this was actually done on school property with our chem teacher's approval. Wish I could recall what we used.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I don't recall what chemical we used, but in high school, some friends and I used a base of some sort mixed with tin foil to create a chemical reaction. The byproduct of this reaction was straight hydrogen. We set off quite a few hydrogen balloons. A lot if this was actually done on school property with our chem teacher's approval. Wish I could recall what we used.

You probably did not use tin foil, but Aluminum foil. Tinfoil is actually made of Tin, however many people incorrectly refer to Aluminum foil as tinfoil. It would be pretty hard to actually find some actual Tinfoil today since it pretty much went out of favor after WWII due to the strength, flexibility, low cost, and lack of transfer of taste to the food that Aluminum foil provides.

You can mix Aluminum foil with Sodium Hydroxide (aka NaOH, the common active ingredient in high strength drain cleaners) and water to get it to produce Hydrogen. Put the balloons on top of a glass bottle that you mixed it up in and you should be able to fill them up with the Hydrogen.

So there is your geek moment of the day.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    Acera, you're right it was aluminum foil. Sodium hydroxide sounds about right, and the process you described is exactly what we did. We also found that the process ran much more smoothly when the bottle was in an ice bath, as the chemical reaction could cause the water to boil and pop the balloon.

Taurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    My Room
    A friend of mine used to make oxy-acet bombs with trash bags. This one he filled it up and tied a long string to it and dragged it over a fire.

KABOOM!!

He did it on his street and it was so loud and felt, rattled windows of the neighbors' houses that the bomb squad came. They reamed his ass out but did not arrest him.

Comes New Year's eve he made a bomb again with a kitchen bag (smaller) and about everybody was in the garage with him watching. Before he could finish,

KABOOM!!

It was a cold night and static electricity did it. I was at the end of the driveway and I went deaf for a while but everybody that's in the garage stumbled out dazed and confused. The bomb squad came and arrested him.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Fill 2 liter bottle with acetylen(sp), add a quick shot of oxygen. Screw the lid on.

Fill gas can about 1/4 full, seal top. Let sit in hot sun all day till it puffs up good.

Tape bottle to gas can.

tape tannernite to front side of bottle.

Shoot with tracer round.

post video

Can't say what to expect, but it aughta be good.

I may try that... Should give me a few hits on my Youtube channel.

Top Bottom